Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This game badly needs mods and macros.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
This game badly needs mods and macros.

Engeven
12.23.2011 , 02:28 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhiroc View Post
I'm barely scratching the surface of the game, but if you think you can "set a rotation" and thus use a macro to execute it... you won't be a good player.

Rather, what you have to react to is priorities... what is coming off of cooldown, what special ability has lit up, managing your resource pool (esp. rage/focus).
Of course if doing dps is simply as easy as "use whichever ability comes off cooldown" then this game is not nearly as good as wow in which dpsing is really fun, each class has its own unique mechanic and unique way of dealing damage.

Tsillah
12.23.2011 , 02:30 AM | #12
I never was a fan of macro's. I don't know if it's just laziness or what, but I tend to think that I want to play the game myself. I don't see the fun in just running macro's who do it all for me and then say, look at how good I can play.

Especially in PvP, I would like the focus to be on player skill.

And people have leveled to 50 already just fine without damage meters. So, ok people want them, but obviously you don't need them.
Ultimately I am a much more reasonable person when people reply to what I actually wrote instead of what they decided I meant with it

Gestas
12.23.2011 , 02:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Engeven View Post
Of course if doing dps is simply as easy as "use whichever ability comes off cooldown" then this game is not nearly as good as wow in which dpsing is really fun, each class has its own unique mechanic and unique way of dealing damage.
DPSing in WoW was extremely simple and tedious. I'm not saying this game will be any more fun in this department, but come on, "dpsing [was] really fun" in WoW?
Legacy: Firebrand.
Server: The Fatman.

belialle
12.23.2011 , 02:34 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
I never was a fan of macro's. I don't know if it's just laziness or what, but I tend to think that I want to play the game myself. I don't see the fun in just running macro's who do it all for me and then say, look at how good I can play.

Especially in PvP, I would like the focus to be on player skill.
How does a macro that uses a damaging ability on an enemy and a healing ability on a friendly target "play the game for you"? All it does is save space on the action bars.

I'm sorry, but when I read things like this, the only thing that I can think is that the person who wrote it is displaying a fundamental lack of understanding.

Boesmith
12.23.2011 , 02:37 AM | #15
I don't think mods and macros will help this game...
SW:ToR needs so much fixes that they can make an expansion out of it. <Jedi guardian - chuundar>

Vincethejedi
12.23.2011 , 02:40 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhiroc View Post
I'm barely scratching the surface of the game, but if you think you can "set a rotation" and thus use a macro to execute it... you won't be a good player.

Rather, what you have to react to is priorities... what is coming off of cooldown, what special ability has lit up, managing your resource pool (esp. rage/focus).
I've had 100s of uses for macros in WoW, "Setting a rotation" was never one of them...

Also, addons show me on my screen when my spells are off CD, instead of having to look at an action bar when I should be looking at the raid. Seems....almost....useful.

If they refuse to allow third party add-ons and/or macros in the future, I surely hope they invest a lot of time making the UI about 1,000 times more customizable. Many MMOers simply will not put up with it for long (Except me because I'm a SW junkie)

Antifaith
12.23.2011 , 02:42 AM | #17
I have to agree 100% about the health bars thing. The fact that they do not update in real time is quite simply unacceptable.
I'd like some mouseover macros , just to make healing a little more err..flowy i guess. I dont 100% need them but they would be nice. What we DO NEED though is for someone at bioware to get onto the HP bars thing, pronto.
Behind every good man is a woman. Behind that woman is another man, checking out her...

Nalreim
12.23.2011 , 02:51 AM | #18
As a full time healer I create two Macros:

1.) A healer to target myself for when I get hit.

2.) A macro that says: "Tank grab Aggro."

That is it.

Brack
12.23.2011 , 02:53 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Zingas View Post
I sorely underestimated just how poor the UI would turn out. It is so uncustomizable it isn't funny. Health bars, buffs, debuffs, and the power bar are all WAY too small. You can't move or resize anything, I HATE having the chat box up the top.

Not having a damage meter or even a freaking combat log is ridiculous. Why shouldn't we even know how much damage we're doing? I want to know what the best rotation is for my character and I have absolutely no way of working that out.

Macros are a staple in every MMO, how can you just not have them? There's a nice focus target but it's practically useless without focus macros.

These should be top priority for the next patch.
You can move the chat box from the top at least

acheros
12.23.2011 , 02:55 AM | #20
how about instead of needing macros/addons to play the game for you, you get better. Evolve or die.