Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This game badly needs mods and macros.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas
12.17.2011 , 07:35 AM | #1
I sorely underestimated just how poor the UI would turn out. It is so uncustomizable it isn't funny. Health bars, buffs, debuffs, and the power bar are all WAY too small. You can't move or resize anything, I HATE having the chat box up the top.

Not having a damage meter or even a freaking combat log is ridiculous. Why shouldn't we even know how much damage we're doing? I want to know what the best rotation is for my character and I have absolutely no way of working that out.

Macros are a staple in every MMO, how can you just not have them? There's a nice focus target but it's practically useless without focus macros.

These should be top priority for the next patch.

Artthen
12.23.2011 , 01:58 AM | #2
Hello everyone,

The previous version of this thread exceeded our 1,000 post threshold, so we have recreated it here to continue the conversation!

As a reminder to everyone, please remember the following:
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
Our community's Rules of Conduct can be found here.

Thanks!

owenthorn
12.23.2011 , 02:06 AM | #3
many people use macros, to push one button and do 15 things, a real advantage over others who dont use them, and your argument, mainly the logic behind it, about you can use them too is fail, anyone can d/l hacks/cheats/bots/glider so why not use those too??

I dont ever want addons and macros in the game

if the game is at a point where you cannot win if you dont have a macro to do all your spells/ability/work for you, at once, find a new game

Gestas
12.23.2011 , 02:11 AM | #4
I think the game is fine without mods. The only thing that might be useful is damage meters. I think mods begin to turn MMORPGs into e-sports... It gets to the point where guilds won't let you in unless you download certain mods.

I can do without macros too. I think skill rotations are easy as it is.

And if a macro system is introduced... please... please do not make it advanced.
Legacy: Firebrand.
Server: The Fatman.

Serpenttt
12.23.2011 , 02:12 AM | #5
I don't mind not having macros, but the ui being non customizable is slightly annoying. Also no combat log...yeah that one sucks.
Serpentine, many many alts. Ebon Hawk.

Gomla
12.23.2011 , 02:12 AM | #6
I'd just like to rephrase what is being asked for.

The game itself doesn't *need* addons, macros or mods ... some of the players do.

Not all of them.

I'll explain before the flames begin.

I'm a healer so damage meters are pointless for me. I don't pug and know people in my guild can do their job.

I've been a healer for nearly 14 years in a lot of different MMO's so am quite capable of healing the game in it's current state. I'm able to think for myself and adapt.

I'd be a pretty crap healer if I needed addons and macros to help me.

I won't say they don't make life easier but to say they are *needed* is a stretching it a bit. Some of us are managing just fine.

What is *needed* is Bioware fixing the damn raid frames so they show health in real time rather than showing everyone at full health when they are not.

Fine in 4 man content, it's easy to monitor 4 people but it's a bit more hectic trying to heal Warzones when it doesn't show health loss properly.

Gestas
12.23.2011 , 02:15 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gomla View Post
I'd just like to rephrase what is being asked for.

The game itself doesn't *need* addons, macros or mods ... some of the players do.
They need to learn how to play then.

Addons dumb down the game. For instance deadly boss mods for WoW told you exactly what to do for every boss encounter. People couldn't learn what to do on their own? Seriously?

That stuff ruins MMORPGs.
Legacy: Firebrand.
Server: The Fatman.

Terans
12.23.2011 , 02:18 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by owenthorn View Post
many people use macros, to push one button and do 15 things, a real advantage over others who dont use them, and your argument, mainly the logic behind it, about you can use them too is fail, anyone can d/l hacks/cheats/bots/glider so why not use those too??

I dont ever want addons and macros in the game

if the game is at a point where you cannot win if you dont have a macro to do all your spells/ability/work for you, at once, find a new game
Not all macros or addons have to do these '15 things' you describe.

Some can simply be used to make your UI look better.

Zhiroc
12.23.2011 , 02:23 AM | #9
I'm barely scratching the surface of the game, but if you think you can "set a rotation" and thus use a macro to execute it... you won't be a good player.

Rather, what you have to react to is priorities... what is coming off of cooldown, what special ability has lit up, managing your resource pool (esp. rage/focus).

Engeven
12.23.2011 , 02:25 AM | #10
For a healer or a tank it might not be necessary to have any damage meter. (Though in wow I've seen many many healers who was just using the wrong spells, and we could only see it via combat log. I'm sure there will be less intelligent people who try to heal in this game too)

But for a dps, it is absolutely necessary to have a combat log. Assume you have 15 dps in a raid setup. And your guild's dps is just not enough to kill a certain boss. What would you do as a raid leader? how would you know if someone is slacking? leeching others? how would you know who to replace? I certainly don't want to waste my time with "we are all brothers here! lets wipe here for hours together, I'm happy to boost you, you can leech me off as much as you want" attitude.