Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nightmare Kephess TFB

Guiken
03.11.2014 , 02:47 AM | #1
So on nightmare Kephess there seems to be an issue with the barrage mechanic. Specifically, the people that get targeted never actually get targeted. It also seems to randomly change targets making that particular mechanic extremely frustrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNBZsSHD02Q

In the video here where we managed to down him, around 5:50 we're heading into the final phase with most of the group still alive and going strong. The red text clearly indicates barrage on Dav'ros so he runs out of the group. The barrage never actually went to either of the people that were called and instead just chose random targets in the mass stacked on the boss during the final burn phase.

How do you other guilds deal with that in nightmare where the barrage quickly wipes your raid. The only option I've thought of to handle it better is forgoing all dps for a few seconds, completely scattering until its over and then trying to resume dps. Any other thoughts?

SamuelAU
03.11.2014 , 05:51 AM | #2
Barrage does what it wants. I thought having outgeared this content buy so much, a small amount of damage on, at most, 3-4 people would be manageable.

The only other alternative is to have everyone spread out a little bit until you can see which way the barrage is heading.
Gomerik // Lumbridge
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

macmanders
03.11.2014 , 05:53 AM | #3
Whoever does become the actual target gets small visual on top of their heads. So it should be noticeable. We found that it always shifted targets to a healer, in that way it's fairly predictable. Mostly towards me (Commando), because Commandos tend to generate most agro from new "mobs".

Guiken
03.11.2014 , 06:24 AM | #4
That actually makes alot of sense. Our Merc healer tebor made the joke that it said it was targeting him which was the only way he knew he was safe It did switch to him quite often now that you mention it though. Perhaps having all healers run out towards the end would help

KeyboardNinja
03.11.2014 , 04:08 PM | #5
So, barrage always switches once if it switches (and most of the time, it does switch). It will never switch a second time. When it switches, it does so halfway through its duration.

There's really no rhyme or reason to it. Contrary to what an earlier poster asserted, it doesn't usually switch to healers. That would be…nice. The only real prediction you can make is that it won't switch to someone who has nanites or someone who currently has agro on the boss. This allows you to narrow things down a bit, but since barrage is happening when you only have four nanites out, this isn't as helpful as you would think.

Oh, and also the person to whom barrage switches will not have a target above their head, only the original barrage target will. That would make it too easy…

The only way to handle this "mechanic" is to have the person with the original barrage kite away from the group and then call immediately if barrage starts going in the other direction. When that happens, the ranged should spread out while the tanks and melee move the boss a bit. If the boss cannot be moved, the melee have to spread. This almost immediately narrows down the scope of possible targets to the point where the new kiter can run.

Part of the reason that over-gearing doesn't help much here is barrage isn't just damage, it is also a knockback. It will break the nanite tower channel prematurely if you get it at the wrong time and on the wrong person. No amount of over-gearing is going to keep someone alive through a sufficiently high stack nanite debuff, particularly not if Kephess lands on them.

Frankly, this is a dumb mechanic. My guild basically kills this boss by sleeping through everything except barrage, which still has the potential to wipe us when it drops too close to the raid and switches to an inconvenient person at an inconvenient time. Basically the only thing you can do is improve your odds by having scripted group reactions and rapid target identification. If it weren't for barrage, this boss would be an easy one-shot every time due to massive over-gearing and our now-intimate familiarity with the fight.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

Jerba
03.11.2014 , 04:20 PM | #6
I once heard that the Barrage can only follow a straight line, with maybe a small bend. When the targeted player stands at a wrong angle where the barrage would need to make a sharp turn or run through itself, it will switch to another player.
Not sure if this is correct, but I could not disprove this yet.

I don't think you can heal this when you're overgeared. In nightmare mode, a barrage that goes into the raid always leads to a wipe; in HM you can of course easily heal the damage.
KeyboardNinja is correct; people with Nanites cannot get a barrage. We just spread out for the barrage and the player who ends up getting it needs to run away; usually, this does not work because players are not spreading out fast enough, so after a few wipes the RNG gods are usually favorable enough that only players away from the group got the barrage and we can complete this phase without a wipe.
Good luck on your raid!

RandomXChance
03.11.2014 , 04:40 PM | #7
I have noticed this seems to work similar to the way its says Raptus is challenging you in HM DP, but if you get too far from him before the others enter their portals he will target them instead. When I make sure to stay close to him or to the Barrage in NM TFB, they do not change targets.

macmanders
03.12.2014 , 02:10 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
So, barrage always switches once if it switches (and most of the time, it does switch). It will never switch a second time. When it switches, it does so halfway through its duration.

There's really no rhyme or reason to it. Contrary to what an earlier poster asserted, it doesn't usually switch to healers. That would be…nice. The only real prediction you can make is that it won't switch to someone who has nanites or someone who currently has agro on the boss. This allows you to narrow things down a bit, but since barrage is happening when you only have four nanites out, this isn't as helpful as you would think.

Oh, and also the person to whom barrage switches will not have a target above their head, only the original barrage target will. That would make it too easy…

The only way to handle this "mechanic" is to have the person with the original barrage kite away from the group and then call immediately if barrage starts going in the other direction. When that happens, the ranged should spread out while the tanks and melee move the boss a bit. If the boss cannot be moved, the melee have to spread. This almost immediately narrows down the scope of possible targets to the point where the new kiter can run.

Part of the reason that over-gearing doesn't help much here is barrage isn't just damage, it is also a knockback. It will break the nanite tower channel prematurely if you get it at the wrong time and on the wrong person. No amount of over-gearing is going to keep someone alive through a sufficiently high stack nanite debuff, particularly not if Kephess lands on them.

Frankly, this is a dumb mechanic. My guild basically kills this boss by sleeping through everything except barrage, which still has the potential to wipe us when it drops too close to the raid and switches to an inconvenient person at an inconvenient time. Basically the only thing you can do is improve your odds by having scripted group reactions and rapid target identification. If it weren't for barrage, this boss would be an easy one-shot every time due to massive over-gearing and our now-intimate familiarity with the fight.
It always switches to healers during my raid, I did get a mark above my head and wasn't the original target. Also I did have nanites when it switched target to me. I'll try again this week and see if I can get some proof. Maybe it just is extremely random and we were lucky it kept switching to us healers.

AAAAzrael
03.12.2014 , 07:21 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
The only real prediction you can make is that it won't switch to someone who has nanites or someone who currently has agro on the boss.

I got it once as tanking tank. Only happened once though in all the runs of this boss.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Gate Crasher Joshased / Xartanol The Revanchist
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

DeklynSWTOR
03.14.2014 , 09:32 AM | #10
This has been the case since the original release/progression race. What we did to manage it was sit at the pillar we were currently at when barrage went off.. wait a second until it started traveling (wherever it would randomly decide to travel to), then pop transcendence and run to the opposite side for the next pillar. Worked out pretty well for us.
Hogan's Heroes
Dekly'nThe Melter of FacesShadowlands