Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

For the Record: Reactive Warding vs Shield Amplification

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
For the Record: Reactive Warding vs Shield Amplification

Kuciwalker
03.25.2014 , 12:40 PM | #11
Which M/R attacks can auto-crit? I suppose Snipe with Laze Target... can't think of any others offhand.

KeyboardNinja
03.25.2014 , 01:17 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Simmerr View Post
I'm sure it will come down to class discrepancies, but I think we should point out that the SA relic would not do a thing for attacks that auto-crit, compared to the FR being able to help in those situation (if I'm not mistaken ind the def vs. acc roll)
Auto-crits aren't all that common. In general, current PvP tank theory crafting assumes a 35% crit rate across the board, encompassing both auto-crits and natural crit chance. This seems to line up fairly well with player logs, though it will have to be reduced somewhat when 2.7 drops due to the Smash nerfs.

Here's the thing though: melee/ranged attacks are very, very rare in PvP. Well not "rare" per se, but it's very uncommon relative to force/tech attacks. This is the exact opposite of PvE, where melee/ranged is more common. Because of this, the FR relic really isn't that exciting. I mean, if you happen to know that you're facing a lot of marksman snipers and carnage marauders, sure, pick up the FR. Otherwise, the SA is probably a safer bet.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

Methoxa
03.26.2014 , 04:00 AM | #13
What about the new pvp trinket : Berserker Relic of Reactive Warding

It is as good as the arkanian equivalency however it does absorb 1480 all 40seonds while the arkanian absorbs 740 all 20seconds. Does that make a difference regarding spikyness?

Furthermore i wonder whether FR was really better than SA for each tankclass.

Are there RW trinkets that stack with a second RW trinket?

Would be great to see the influence on dtps for each trinket regarding the overall dtps you get.
Example : 1500dtps --- Relic A : 55dtps Relic B 57dtps
2000dtps ---Relic A : 56dtps Relic B 56dtps
and so on

Maybe you have to implement the defbudget also. I think dmg ratios are not that important because the more elementary/internal dmg the better RW becomes
Conquerer of the Dread Fortress Methoxa - Gate Crasher - Black Bantha - Vanjervalis Chain EU

KeyboardNinja
03.26.2014 , 11:45 AM | #14
Dipstik did the work a while back to look at each relic type for each class in terms of the DtPS it prevents. I think that he updated that work for 2.6 in one of his recent threads.

The FR is better than the SA primarily because its static stats are better.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

dipstik
03.26.2014 , 12:04 PM | #15
i calced the squish for each relic and the dtps pre mitigation required to beat the rw relics. for df/dp average.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...7&postcount=74

Zoom_VI
03.26.2014 , 03:08 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Which M/R attacks can auto-crit? I suppose Snipe with Laze Target... can't think of any others offhand.
Tactics Vanguard's HiB, but both that and snipe are not serious damage.

Also think about it, FR is 5% defense chance 30% of the time. That's almost nothing, and from a pvp perspective you would never be able to tell the difference between when you had the proc and when you didn't
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

revcrisis
06.06.2014 , 08:57 AM | #17
PVP: Can someone clarify this for me. So the Reactive Warding PVP relic absorbs 1360 damage for 6 seconds once every 40 seconds. I assume this is 1360 total damage over the course of 6 seconds, not every second? Or is it 1360*6 for a total of 8160 total mitigation every 40 seconds?

If it is indeed 1360 total damage absorbed, this is quite possibly the worst and most useless relic i've ever seen. My free auto-attack does 1500 damage lol. So basically I absorb an auto-attack's worth of damage every 40 seconds? Just lol.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

KeyboardNinja
06.06.2014 , 11:05 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by revcrisis View Post
PVP: Can someone clarify this for me. So the Reactive Warding PVP relic absorbs 1360 damage for 6 seconds once every 40 seconds. I assume this is 1360 total damage over the course of 6 seconds, not every second? Or is it 1360*6 for a total of 8160 total mitigation every 40 seconds?
Absorbs up to 1360 damage for up to 6 seconds, whichever comes first.

Quote: Originally Posted by revcrisis View Post
If it is indeed 1360 total damage absorbed, this is quite possibly the worst and most useless relic i've ever seen. My free auto-attack does 1500 damage lol. So basically I absorb an auto-attack's worth of damage every 40 seconds? Just lol.
Read the OP. You're basically coming into the conversation and asserting exactly the opposite of what was proven in the OP and then verified with posts later on.

1360 every 40 seconds isn't a lot of damage. However, you're looking at this and thinking that the other relics are better because you believe that they mitigate more damage than this. They do not. You're dramatically over-estimating the value of the Fortunate Redoubt and Shield Amplification relics, because they look awfully sexy. They're just not as good as they appear, and the math proves this.

So in other words, while 1360 every 40 seconds isn't a lot of damage, it's still more damage absorbed than the damage mitigated by 740 defense rating for 6 seconds every 20.

dudeyoumadbro
06.06.2014 , 11:26 AM | #19
Interesting...

and here I thought I was BiS.

Now you said the difference for Jugs and Guardians is minimal?
The Leto Legacy
Athius - Jedi Guardian Stiffler - Scoundrel Annadorf - Vanguard Ellesif - Jedi Sage
Dalexs - Mercenary Dethex - Marauder Tights - Sniper Dythius - Assassian
The Bastion - PvP

KeyboardNinja
06.06.2014 , 12:08 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by dudeyoumadbro View Post
Interesting...

and here I thought I was BiS.

Now you said the difference for Jugs and Guardians is minimal?
No actually, Guardians/Juggs and Vanguards/Powertechs get even less out of the Shield Amplification relic than Shadows/Assassins do. Quite a bit less, in fact. Now it's possible that, due to the defense emphasis, the Fortunate Redoubt relic may be slightly better than the Reactive Warding for Guardians/Juggs, but I doubt it. Even if it is though, the Reactive Warding will still be better than the Shield Amplification, which yields the following BiS relic selection for all three tanks: Reactive Warding and Fortunate Redoubt.