Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone else EXCITED about Player Housing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Anyone else EXCITED about Player Housing?

anonnn
03.09.2014 , 02:44 PM | #1
Strongholds will be the first significantly personalized thing in the game (not counting name, equipment, and vehicle, which are a given). Following are links to the official Galactic Strongholds video reveals, followed by Wish Lists for features that are essential or very desirable.
  • players who were subscribed by July 15th, 2014, will get to move into the Nar Shaddaa stronghold early
  • Subscriber Early Access starts August 19, 2014 (ALL FEATURES!)
  • Preferred Early Access starts September 16, 2014
  • Official Launch is on October 14, 2014
  • Guild-based planetary conquest - weekly guild competition with perks for the winner
  • Guild Flagship support - from orbit, provides guild members with a buff
  • host your friends at your Stronghold
  • mini-pets, companions, mounts and vehicles can be placed in your Stronghold!
  • Stronghold prestige (increased with each decoration) with a public ranking list
  • players subscribed as of May 11, 2014 will be receiving the Nar Shaddaa stronghold with 5 rooms unlocked
  • additional Strongholds will be bought with credits or Cartel Coins
  • strongholds will be available on Coruscant, Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa, and Tatooine
New video (August 13, 2014):
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Galactic Strongholds - GamesCom Trailer
Spoiler

Video reveal (July 2, 2014): . . Galactic Living: Tatooine Homestead Video
Spoiler

Video reveal (June 3, 2014): . . Coruscant Skyrise Apartment Video
Spoiler

Video reveal (April 30, 2014): . . Galactic Living: Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace
Spoiler

Video reveal (March 19, 2014): . . Galactic Strongholds Expansion Announcement
Spoiler

Video announcement (March 6, 2014): . . Player Housing Announcement Trailer
Spoiler

WISH LISTS
features that would make strongholds awesome
The ESSENTIALS wish list (for minimum usefulness and fun factor, in order of importance) _ . . none of these features should be omitted!
  • a group congregation feature to bring the entire group quickly to one group member's Home. This is absolutely essential for the Home to be a useful feature
  • modifiable deco that can be cycled through various styles of bed, chairs, tables, plants, vases, and other excellent deco... maybe even a free-form deco ability so we can place these items anywhere in the room facing any direction. The more options for deco the better!
  • ALL sittable chairs/couches (sittable couch confirmed)
  • the option to "Go To House" from your ship, from all mini travel terminals, and when leaving FPs/Ops
  • Cargo Hold access (confirmed)
  • an entertainment room / social center that has dimmable lights, a jukebox, and an entertainment droid that sells a large variety of glitters and such

New Wish List: .
  • NEW! . a group deploy feature (working in conjunction with group congregate) that allows group members to use a Deployment Terminal in your stronghold to jump to your location (particularly to an Op). This provides a practical reason for people to visit other players' strongholds and get a quick look at it.
  • NEW! . a way to automatically connect to fleet chat. Probably the best way to do this is for 1 room in the stronghold to be designated the communications room, so that when you enter the room, it automatically switches you over to Fleet chat. Having the entire stronghold on Fleet chat would make it not as useful for throwing social gatherings where people will naturally want to chat to the entire stronghold (and to nowhere else).
  • 8+ panels of materials-only Legacy Stronghold Storage and materials stacking to 9999 units. A full-Legacy crafter has 3 gathering skills, 4 mission-gathering skills, and tons of specialty materials to store. For proper organization and stack management it's necessary to have 1 panel for each of the 7 gathering skills and also specialty materials. And if materials don't start stacking to 9999 units, it's ridiculous for the player who wants to guarantee a long-term supply (2000+ units) of their most common crafting materials. Alternative: one Legacy cargo hold pane with a scrollbar that has 8+ panels worth of storage space.
  • An additional Home in a variety of unannounced locations (the announced locations are Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, and the factional Home-worlds). The unannounced houses would be nearly impossible to find just by searching around cities around the galaxy. It should have a public lobby with an entrance door whose access panel is extremely difficult to see (a small button hidden on a statue or a decorative wall panel would do). How a person gets ownership of one of these secretive Home locations could be an interesting detail.
  • a per-character Preference setting to Use Legacy Materials First or to Use Personal Cargo Hold Materials First

Wish List: (please please please please please) _
Spoiler

Phyltr
03.09.2014 , 03:02 PM | #2
Nope.

errant_knight
03.09.2014 , 03:18 PM | #3
I think it will be a fun addition to rp for some characters. For others the ship makes more sense. More choice is always a good thing, though, and while it wasn't something I really craved, I know others who are thrilled, so yeah, it's exciting. It's possible to be happy for others and it adds to possibility. Also, it adds a revenue stream, which is a good thing in terms of additional new content. Big picture, folks.

XiamaraSimi
03.09.2014 , 03:58 PM | #4
Putting aside the fact I love customizing my homes in games, this is very much needed from a rp standpoint so there is someplace to congregate away from the rampant trolls who live to harass anyone who doesn't conform to what they think is "gaming". (Usually anything that isn't pvp or pew pew pew)

Many people will feel the need to jump in now and say "Ships are for rp." Yes, in some circumstances, rp can be done on ships, but in very limited contexts. Personally I don't are to hang around the fleet due to a myriad of reasons. My server lateley has been bombed with beggar trolls who run up to you, try to open a trade and send tells demanding credits, then follow you around being an ***** if you don't comply (standing on you and others naked dancing and doing other annoying emotes)

Or the inevitable men pretending to be women bopping & clubdancing with other men pretending to be women in slave outfits trying to act out their Iesbian fantasies out in the open, list goes on.....
The Xiamara Legacy Jung Ma Nightmare Squadron
Simi, Anyamara, Anyankha, Apollimi, Xiamara, R'yoohki, S'imi, Asuka, Shi'ara, Tayanna
Tefenet, Xialia, Xiara, Tay'anna, Taelanya
Bioware, please make a nexu mini pet, I really want a baby mutant Cheshire Cat!

XxHazenxX
03.09.2014 , 04:02 PM | #5
Coming from SWG, I've always loved player housing, but I have a feeling TOR player housing will be pointless and feel wasted unless EAWare is able to pull something crazily amazing out of their butts. The main reason I think this is just because of the game design at its core. This game isn't set up to promote useful player housing. There's no reason to have housing here. For example, in SWG, housing had 2 fundamental uses that made it unique and necessary:

1) Housing was used to publicly (or privately if you chose) show off your trophies, rewards, unique finds accumulated over years dedicated to the game, and maybe most importantly, your craftiness of creating "scenes" for lack of a better word (for example, I made a wrestling ring in my house out of weapon power-ups and tables with R2 and C3PO inside of it) and decorating ability. It was a roadmap of where you've been, what you've done, and how successful you've been.

2) It was also used (most of the time, in conjunction with #1) as a public player shop/store/mall loaded with vendors, obviously attracting players on the entire server based on what you were selling, and thus, bringing traffic to your house/store allowing people to see all those trophies and decorations from #1. The game was based upon a player-driven economy and player housing was the perfect implementation to supplement that economic system type in a fun and creative way rather than the traditional "auction house" like in every other MMO.

In TOR, the game is designed in the exact opposite way. Because this game is based on the gear grind, there really are no extremely unique/rare finds to stumble upon while out exploring, killing, or doing quests. Therefore, there are no trophies to show off other than possibly displaying the different armor sets you've bought in the CM, which definitely aren't trophies by any means. Also, there isn't a player-driven economy in TOR because there are no crafting classes (not professions) that are mandatory to make the world go around; hence, the gear grind system. Therefore, there isn't a heavy need for player-run stores, which means there isn't a way or good reason to attract traffic to your house. Everything I can think of based on the way the game is designed just points to player housing in TOR functioning exactly like your player ship, a stationary base that will be customizable to a degree and only allow people in that are grouped with you.

EDIT: For anyone who cares, or anyone who's interested and never saw SWG housing, here's my old house from the game. Literally everything in the house (even the small items on the tables) was either crafted, looted, found while exploring, or a reward of some kind. You could also rotate or turn items on any axis when placing them, which made even more possibilities (like those dozens of trees I turned upside down in the back room to use on the ceiling).
SWG-Flurry
<DFR> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <DFR>
July 10, 2004 - July 10, 2010

GRINnBARRETT
03.09.2014 , 04:14 PM | #6
TBH not really. I'd much rather have Legacy banks. Now if they put legacy banks INSIDE p[layer housing, then yeah, I'd be excited.

anonnn
03.09.2014 , 06:45 PM | #7
While reading the other (supportive) posts I thought of something. The Coruscant condo could have one or more mannequins (that have a changeable body-type) that can be used to store a full set of equipment, everything you see in your own character screen (14 items). The obvious thing at that point is to have a button to swap out everything you're wearing with everything that's on the mannequin, with one button on the mannequin UI. Naturally you could also open the mannequin UI and swap out items 1-by-1 however you need.

But the awesome accompanying feature would be a special ability to recall to your condo for a limited 1 minute period of time (to swap out equipment or any other very quick task), at which point you'd be automatically recalled to where you were to start with. Ok so a normal recall-to-Home ability (that hopefully is part of the Home feature-set) would permanently transport you to your Home location and have a maybe 30-minute CD, but this 1-minute temporary recall-to-Home ability would have something like a tiny 2-minute CD.

a Go-Home ability that lasts for 1 minute and has only a 2-minute cooldown ! _

anonnn
03.09.2014 , 06:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by GRINnBARRETT View Post
TBH not really. I'd much rather have Legacy banks. Now if they put legacy banks INSIDE p[layer housing, then yeah, I'd be excited.
Like Like Like Like Like

Phyltr
03.09.2014 , 08:13 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by XxHazenxX View Post
<--snip-->
Therefore, there isn't a heavy need for player-run stores, which means there isn't a way or good reason to attract traffic to your house. Everything I can think of based on the way the game is designed just points to player housing in TOR functioning exactly like your player ship, a stationary base that will be customizable to a degree and only allow people in that are grouped with you.
I suspect that, unless I'm really wrong, that there won't really even be traffic to your house. I suspect it will just be an instance that you click on an elevator button, the same elevator button everyone presses, to go to your personal instance. I highly doubt you'll be able to just walk by other people's condos and if you're able to go in, it'll only be because you grouped with someone and coordinated such that they allowed you to enter their housing instance.

anonnn
03.09.2014 , 09:38 PM | #10
Hey maybe one of those new terminal types in the SWToR Home will be a chat terminal where you can remote-login to the chat on Fleet or any of the planets.