Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
03.07.2014 , 09:49 PM | #61
How is something that is completely optional, and potentially free for subscribers, sucking the fun out of the game?
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Mallorik's Avatar


Mallorik
03.07.2014 , 09:50 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Nothing like a reasonable and balanced viewpoint to advance the discussion...
Yes because bringing up valid viewpoints to discuss with these tools works out really well. Like the moron who laughed at the op because he would like to get cosmetic items without having to pay for them.

RaiderMid's Avatar


RaiderMid
03.07.2014 , 09:53 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
F2p is a cancer and so are the people who like it, just look at this thread.
As opposed to the other option? Empty servers or maintenence mode if the game wasn't scrapped altogether?

Slicka's Avatar


Slicka
03.07.2014 , 09:54 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
Yes because bringing up valid viewpoints to discuss with these tools works out really well. Like the moron who laughed at the op because he would like to get cosmetic items without having to pay for them.
Hey now, that's not very nice.

On a side note, you could of also mentioned those who said they tried to read it, but gave up. Then proceeded to post stating what they did.
Server: Prophecy of the Five
16 Characters, when will it end? All advanced classes, ftw!

Youtube Playthrough Videos / Guides

Slicka's Avatar


Slicka
03.07.2014 , 09:56 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by RaiderMid View Post
As opposed to the other option? Empty servers or maintenence mode if the game wasn't scrapped altogether?
Well in truth, I subbed until the game went F2P. I actually quit because it went F2P with the CM coming out. Sure I came back, but it definitely wasn't the CM that did it. It was playing some of the new content. F2P is BS, I'd rather subscribe and get all the "perks", you know, the ones all the F2P/Preferred players feel they are entitled to have?
Server: Prophecy of the Five
16 Characters, when will it end? All advanced classes, ftw!

Youtube Playthrough Videos / Guides

RaiderMid's Avatar


RaiderMid
03.07.2014 , 10:10 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Slicka View Post
Well in truth, I subbed until the game went F2P. I actually quit because it went F2P with the CM coming out. Sure I came back, but it definitely wasn't the CM that did it. It was playing some of the new content. F2P is BS, I'd rather subscribe and get all the "perks", you know, the ones all the F2P/Preferred players feel they are entitled to have?
I hear that. I just resubbed today after a couple months break. I'll sub if I want to play and let it lapse when I get burned out. The F2P model is horrible and not worth my time.

bluemustache's Avatar


bluemustache
03.07.2014 , 11:17 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
The Shadow in my signature found this really cool belt in the 30s. Only problem was it was blue and non-moddable. So I had to eventually give it up. When the Cartel Market came around, I hoped they would put that belt in the market....they didn't. They did however, put it on the Voss Reputation Vendor. My Shadow's outfit, which I like quite a bit, comes exclusively from playing the game. I'm using a chestpiece from a heroic in the 20s, for the longest time I was wearing the pilot pants from the space missions, etc.

There is plenty to earn in the game. The CM has plenty more. But here's the rub, that stuff on the CM wouldn't exist without the CM.
clap clap clap...
thats true indeed, even common gear can be matched to be good looking, thanks a lot to dyes
my marauder used the black talon tunic til late 30's, then the taris gear (with the exception of the crappy skirts), and later the classic tionese (which i still use legs and feet).. also this marauder is the only of my 10 toons that use CM gear, and its the Eradicator's robe, since this class can't use any hooded robe, like juggs and inquisitors can.
Also i tell you, there are lots of GREEN gear that looks way more cooler than orange gear, because orange gear looks all the same, with different colors only, and nothing else. some of these green gear look very simmilar to their orange counterpart, but with different stripes or something, the colors are not in the same place and have a great effect when matching colors from armor
and this is what i think they should revisit.
good looking gear is meant to be used and seen, not forgotten as a crappy green gear that no one cares close to endgame.. im really tired of seeing carbon copies of same gear with a different word on it only, as this means nothing anymore...

IMO about CM, i'm really fine with it, but there are so many ripoffs...

horrorfaneightys's Avatar


horrorfaneightys
03.07.2014 , 11:23 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Slicka View Post
I see we're still on this topic and I agree with the OP. Many players seem to look at this game as a game which obviously it is. Some players; however, have crappy lives whether it be through abuse, or stress. An example being a kid constantly getting picked on at school, and let's be honest, it's not like adults do anything about it. Well the kid comes home in this example and plays the game and wants the feel of being unique through reward because it's something they're actually good at unlike in their life. I have no problem with this where the kid wants to earn said item and show it off in front of everyone. They earned it.

What is wrong with being unique through working hard for something? We go to work and make money in order to own a house or a car. It's human nature to want to show stuff off whether intentional or not because we're all in competition with each other no matter how you look at it. Examples could be going for jobs, applying to college, winning awards for being the best. Why should we have the Olympics? Why not just let some guy buy the gold medal so he can say he's a gold medalist in swimming? Why have the Super Bowl?

In truth, I can understand both viewpoints. The CM does give the "Casuals" what they want, and the "Hardcore" can still earn what they want from their tough grind. I see a lot state you can just buy the CM stuff from the GTN so I ask what's your point? The point that it's someone else's money that purchased said item? Why would that benefit anyone in any way? Sure, it's more money that can pay the cheques for the Devs, and hopefully put that capital back into the development of SWTOR, but why should everyone feel satisfied that they obtained said item with in-game credits instead of paying real currency? That statement just completely misses the point of what the OP is trying to state.

In truth, I actually agree that I would rather not see housing items on the CM. Reason? I've seen a lot of posts stating how crafting is broken. Whether that's true, or not because limited items are being crafted and used, I cannot say because I don't craft on a regular basis. What I would like to see is patterns that can be earned through different means that already exist, and completely craftable through playing the game. I mean, let's be serious here. You just introduced a new feature, granted no details have been released nor has an announcement been posted, but if you can place items in your home whether it be by a terminal or the "SWG" way (I doubt it); Bioware has an opportunity to implement something in the game that anyone can create and will be purchased because stats don't matter.

So really, I don't see a problem for those who want to "earn" their items, and actually praise it compared to just buying it. If said item was "the new epic thing to have", and it took time to earn whether by completing achievements, grinding, or whatever, and I can't have it because I can't play often enough. I'll accept it. It's not my fault that I have more important issues at hand.

Sure we all want our own stories to fulfill our wildest fantasies and having the "casual way" of earning stuff makes it easy to do, but it's almost like stealing the fun from the players who want to play the game. I want a Mercedes Benz as well, but I don't steal one just to brag that I have one. I need to earn it by working hard and making money. Doesn't it feel great when you purchase your first car or house because you did it with no one else's help? That's what some players want, not to completely be able to brag that they have "item X". They like the satisfaction they got said "item" on their own.

This generation of gamer tends to be lazy which can be seen through numerous examples. Why doesn't SWTOR just give us the option to pay to reach lv 55, and have all the best gear? Why not? I mean the CM is close, but it can't level us yet. We all know the CM isn't going anywhere and will exist until the game ends. Some players just like the idea of earning stuff, and that to me is what we should all strive for instead of being in "casual mode".

Tl;Dr - Point is that both points make sense, but what is wrong with earning stuff? Why do we have championship games in rl when we should just let "Joe Blow" pay for it so he can say he's the Super Bowl champ when he sat on his couch?
There is nothing wrong with earning stuff in game. But there's also nothing wrong with some of us buying some stuff off the Cartel Market. I don't think it's a question of being lazy most of the time - just that we don't all have the luxury of being able to spend long amounts of time playing.

I would never compare real-life achievements such as sporting trophies to this though - after all this is just a video game. And everyone who plays it is sat on their arse. So technically we're all lazy.
Xaniata-kee Morga-dar Li'lu-fei Aiden-grey Jadze Sangui Lavent Rou'n Nua'mi Bloodsigh Argeia Rufous Charc Janeena Rubane

Slicka's Avatar


Slicka
03.07.2014 , 11:36 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by horrorfaneightys View Post
There is nothing wrong with earning stuff in game. But there's also nothing wrong with some of us buying some stuff off the Cartel Market. I don't think it's a question of being lazy most of the time - just that we don't all have the luxury of being able to spend long amounts of time playing.

I would never compare real-life achievements such as sporting trophies to this though - after all this is just a video game. And everyone who plays it is sat on their arse. So technically we're all lazy.
Tbh, I'm actually amazed someone responded to my random rant.

My point of the sporting trophies was that they are also just games. Not all of us are athletic. I mean it's just my opinion, but if earning stuff in-game makes some guy happy because they feel they are a part of something, I'd rather see that than him running into a random school and shoot up innocent people. Kind of harsh, I know, but I just can't stand seeing the CM where it's gone. It won't go away, but I can at least rant and rave like an idiot every once in awhile.
Server: Prophecy of the Five
16 Characters, when will it end? All advanced classes, ftw!

Youtube Playthrough Videos / Guides

horrorfaneightys's Avatar


horrorfaneightys
03.07.2014 , 11:46 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Slicka View Post
Tbh, I'm actually amazed someone responded to my random rant.

My point of the sporting trophies was that they are also just games. Not all of us are athletic. I mean it's just my opinion, but if earning stuff in-game makes some guy happy because they feel they are a part of something, I'd rather see that than him running into a random school and shoot up innocent people. Kind of harsh, I know, but I just can't stand seeing the CM where it's gone. It won't go away, but I can at least rant and rave like an idiot every once in awhile.
I don't really have issues with people who like to earn special stuff in game. Though sometimes I'm a little harsh in my wording. I just see the Cartel Market as adding extra choice in how I get my character to look. I understand that not everybody likes it though. I completely understand wanting to rant about it now and then too. Nothing like a good rant.
Xaniata-kee Morga-dar Li'lu-fei Aiden-grey Jadze Sangui Lavent Rou'n Nua'mi Bloodsigh Argeia Rufous Charc Janeena Rubane