Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

horrorfaneightys's Avatar


horrorfaneightys
03.07.2014 , 08:13 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Soul_of_Flames View Post
That's the problem. Freely obtained stuff isn't grinding. It's instant gratification. This is at the expense of actual gameplay.
Yeah not everyone enjoys the same type of gameplay. I don't try and discourage them from adding stuff you might enjoy. Why would you have such an issue with me and others sometimes getting something from the Cartel Market that we think is fun? I always get the impression that the people that moan about players getting stuff with cartel coins are upset that they don't get to feel as special as they did when nobody but them got cool looking stuff. I hate to sound harsh, but if you look to a video game to make you feel special, then you need to re-evaluate your life.
"There is no heavier burden than a great potential" ~ Linus, Peanuts
Morga-dar Level 54 Assassin Li'lu-fei Level 54 Sentinel
Xaniata-kee Level 53 Sniper

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
03.07.2014 , 08:17 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Don't waste your time.

Challenge, risk and reward are no longer things important to a game.... at least till Bioware changes their mind and adds it, then it will be a great thing..
The only aspect of "challenge, risk and reward" that has been limited by the Cartel Market is the cosmetic aspect of the gear you get as reward.

Working your way through top-tier PVE content still awards the highest stats for gear, unique items like the Titan 9 mount or the Dread Master Crest helm, unique titles and achievements. Working your way through competitive PVP gets you the best PVP stats for gear, unique items like the black Rancor mount, unique titles and achievements.

You cannot buy stats (aside from a few level 41 mods, which they've stopped doing), levels, or achievements from the CM.

If having the best-looking gear be gated behind gameplay progression is an absolute must-have for you to enjoy the game, then sorry that SWTOR has gone in a different direction than what you wanted. It's a trade-off they've decided to make in order to keep this game profitable.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

Scorpiooooo's Avatar


Scorpiooooo
03.07.2014 , 08:19 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Clarian View Post
Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.
ZOMG! Best - comment - ever. Read this, had to applaud you.

I like the debate in this thread, it's good to see a mostly intelligent debate about content vs cartel market. Having said that, while I love the comment by Clarian, that's kinda exactly what this game is about though atm.

Whilst its not a 'cosmetic' belt, it's about getting that new 'tier' level of gear. I can't remember playing an OP (since TFB) that was genuinely exciting for it's story, gameplay, wow factor and sense of accomplishment at beating that final boss. Now it's all about RNG and knock-backs (the lamest method of difficulty there is) - but in doing DP and DF, there's no gratification at finishing other than 'thank **** that's over' or 'great. Now i have another set piece so maybe we can attempt this at a harder level next week.'

The classic ops (EV/EC/KP and even TFB) are 'Classic' because of how enjoyable they are in terms of gameplay IMO. The cosmetic rewards (Mounts/Titles etc) that you can't get off the CM are another bonus. The Tank? Man that thing is awesome.

Thems my two cents. Now to make Clarians statement my signature... well played...
Quote: Originally Posted by Clarian View Post
Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
03.07.2014 , 08:28 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Soul_of_Flames View Post
I understand the CM is the lifeline of this game. The revenue it makes pushes this game forward. Fine. I get it. But what about the regular game? At least a handful of the stuff that's on the CM should be available through normal in game means to give players incentive to play the game and earn what they want.
The Shadow in my signature found this really cool belt in the 30s. Only problem was it was blue and non-moddable. So I had to eventually give it up. When the Cartel Market came around, I hoped they would put that belt in the market....they didn't. They did however, put it on the Voss Reputation Vendor. My Shadow's outfit, which I like quite a bit, comes exclusively from playing the game. I'm using a chestpiece from a heroic in the 20s, for the longest time I was wearing the pilot pants from the space missions, etc.

There is plenty to earn in the game. The CM has plenty more. But here's the rub, that stuff on the CM wouldn't exist without the CM.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni, Hard-Top, Arbaaz & Psionicist
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thefia

Slicka's Avatar


Slicka
03.07.2014 , 09:09 PM | #55
I see we're still on this topic and I agree with the OP. Many players seem to look at this game as a game which obviously it is. Some players; however, have crappy lives whether it be through abuse, or stress. An example being a kid constantly getting picked on at school, and let's be honest, it's not like adults do anything about it. Well the kid comes home in this example and plays the game and wants the feel of being unique through reward because it's something they're actually good at unlike in their life. I have no problem with this where the kid wants to earn said item and show it off in front of everyone. They earned it.

What is wrong with being unique through working hard for something? We go to work and make money in order to own a house or a car. It's human nature to want to show stuff off whether intentional or not because we're all in competition with each other no matter how you look at it. Examples could be going for jobs, applying to college, winning awards for being the best. Why should we have the Olympics? Why not just let some guy buy the gold medal so he can say he's a gold medalist in swimming? Why have the Super Bowl?

In truth, I can understand both viewpoints. The CM does give the "Casuals" what they want, and the "Hardcore" can still earn what they want from their tough grind. I see a lot state you can just buy the CM stuff from the GTN so I ask what's your point? The point that it's someone else's money that purchased said item? Why would that benefit anyone in any way? Sure, it's more money that can pay the cheques for the Devs, and hopefully put that capital back into the development of SWTOR, but why should everyone feel satisfied that they obtained said item with in-game credits instead of paying real currency? That statement just completely misses the point of what the OP is trying to state.

In truth, I actually agree that I would rather not see housing items on the CM. Reason? I've seen a lot of posts stating how crafting is broken. Whether that's true, or not because limited items are being crafted and used, I cannot say because I don't craft on a regular basis. What I would like to see is patterns that can be earned through different means that already exist, and completely craftable through playing the game. I mean, let's be serious here. You just introduced a new feature, granted no details have been released nor has an announcement been posted, but if you can place items in your home whether it be by a terminal or the "SWG" way (I doubt it); Bioware has an opportunity to implement something in the game that anyone can create and will be purchased because stats don't matter.

So really, I don't see a problem for those who want to "earn" their items, and actually praise it compared to just buying it. If said item was "the new epic thing to have", and it took time to earn whether by completing achievements, grinding, or whatever, and I can't have it because I can't play often enough. I'll accept it. It's not my fault that I have more important issues at hand.

Sure we all want our own stories to fulfill our wildest fantasies and having the "casual way" of earning stuff makes it easy to do, but it's almost like stealing the fun from the players who want to play the game. I want a Mercedes Benz as well, but I don't steal one just to brag that I have one. I need to earn it by working hard and making money. Doesn't it feel great when you purchase your first car or house because you did it with no one else's help? That's what some players want, not to completely be able to brag that they have "item X". They like the satisfaction they got said "item" on their own.

This generation of gamer tends to be lazy which can be seen through numerous examples. Why doesn't SWTOR just give us the option to pay to reach lv 55, and have all the best gear? Why not? I mean the CM is close, but it can't level us yet. We all know the CM isn't going anywhere and will exist until the game ends. Some players just like the idea of earning stuff, and that to me is what we should all strive for instead of being in "casual mode".

Tl;Dr - Point is that both points make sense, but what is wrong with earning stuff? Why do we have championship games in rl when we should just let "Joe Blow" pay for it so he can say he's the Super Bowl champ when he sat on his couch?
Server: Prophecy of the Five
16 Characters, when will it end? All advanced classes, ftw!

Youtube Playthrough Videos / Guides

Mallorik's Avatar


Mallorik
03.07.2014 , 09:41 PM | #56
F2p is a cancer and so are the people who like it, just look at this thread.

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
03.07.2014 , 09:41 PM | #57
We 'do' have stuff you can earn through hard work and achievement. It's called HM/NiM gear and Ranked PVP gear.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
03.07.2014 , 09:42 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
F2p is a cancer and so are the people who like it, just look at this thread.
No need to get mad about it, bro. It's only a game.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
03.07.2014 , 09:43 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
F2p is a cancer and so are the people who like it, just look at this thread.
Nothing like a reasonable and balanced viewpoint to advance the discussion...
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

Slicka's Avatar


Slicka
03.07.2014 , 09:44 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Nothing like a reasonable and balanced viewpoint to advance the discussion...
It made me laugh. I hope that was their intention.
Server: Prophecy of the Five
16 Characters, when will it end? All advanced classes, ftw!

Youtube Playthrough Videos / Guides