Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

FabulousDoctor
03.07.2014 , 06:45 PM | #31
":Waah I have no life so I should be able to get the fancy gear, not those people with money!"

Holy crap what is it with people in MMOs and thinking that spending weeks of their life grinding for gear to make a good look is fun? No thank you, I'd much rather gamble packs than having to grind some 16man nightmare mode operation to try and get Revan's mask, which has less than a .0001% chance of dropping and everyone needs on.

I'm sorry that you dislike letting people have fun with how they look.

Also, I don't think 'most' people want to 'earn' special things through spending hours of their life. It's why MMOs are more and more moving towards letting people get the looks and items they want through methods other than poopsocking 40man Naxxarus.

Why can't you have fun with a game by having fun playing it, instead of by being able to lord over 'plebians' with your special gear you earned by playing for hundreds of hours? What is it about multiplayer games that people need to have power trips and the opportunity to show themselves as 'better' than each other?

Reno_Tarshil
03.07.2014 , 06:46 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Lugosi View Post
Yeah, I'll agree with that. I still use the Rakata on Ensign Temple. But that belt, ugh.
I just want the chest, hood down version. My Sniper has it and several of my companions across my empire 55's have it.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
"Deal with it."
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

Sangrar
03.07.2014 , 06:47 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on a gaming forum.
good god that is the worst insult you can ever give someone!!!
[Bastion]Guildmaster<Galactic Saviors>-War Hero Spaceboomer-55 Commando/Captain Starforce-55 Scoundrel/Darth Caddar-55 Juggernaut/Lord Brakaras-32 Assassin/Master Teckan-38 Sage/Firefighter-27 Powertech/Nightprowler-13 Sniper
refferal link for returning players and free character transfer and free inventory slot

horrorfaneightys
03.07.2014 , 06:52 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Soul_of_Flames View Post
Please don't get me wrong. I agree with you. You do have the right to that.

But the thing is.. I like to earn my rewards. It's boring to just buy them from the CM or GTN. I wanna go out and do stuff. The Seeker droid/Macrobinoculars where AWESOME in my opinion. The game needs more stuff like this. But it's drowned out in a sea of CM stuff.
But see - it's all cosmetic. It's not a reward in my opinion, just a fun optional extra. I play this game for the fun story lines, not to earn special rewards. The reward for me is the enjoyment I have running through the stories.
"There is no heavier burden than a great potential" ~ Linus, Peanuts
Morga-dar Level 54 Assassin Li'lu-fei Level 54 Sentinel
Xaniata-kee Level 53 Sniper

DarthDymond
03.07.2014 , 06:54 PM | #35
Some people feel strongly that having your gear reflect your progression/achievements in-game is important. They care about the "wow" factor (no pun intended) you would get in games like WoW from walking around decked out in a full set of the latest top-tier armor.

I don't personally share that opinion, but I'm not going to say they're "wrong" for caring about it, any more than I'm going to say someone is wrong for looking forward to player housing, or wrong for wishing there was more class stories coming. It's a video game, it's all about what you personally find enjoyable or unenjoyable.

In this game, they have allowed increased customization overall through the CM and they opened up a revenue stream which is keeping the game profitable and allowing new content to be released, and the tradeoff has been a drop in the uniqueness and variety of some of the grinded-for gear. The latest tiers of Operations and PVP gear have been straight recolors or "now with new shiny bits" re-skins.

(I would note that every Reputation faction has has new an interesting gear sets you can earn solely through in-game means, but for some people it is an important distinction that grinding rep isn't as challenging as grinding raids -again, different strokes for different folks.)

If that tradeoff they made is a deal-breaker for you, all I can say is I hope you find a game out there more to your liking. I personally find it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game at all, and I actually like a lot of the armor sets on the CM (which I only ever buy for credits or with my monthly CC subscriber stipend).
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

Sangrar
03.07.2014 , 06:54 PM | #36
Please don't get me wrong. I agree with you. You do have the right to that.

But the thing is.. I like to earn my rewards. It's boring to just buy them from the CM or GTN. I wanna go out and do stuff. The Seeker droid/Macrobinoculars where AWESOME in my opinion. The game needs more stuff like this. But it's drowned out in a sea of CM stuff.
lets see, the HK quest chain has to be run at least once to get him, the gree event sphere speeder you got to do the gree event and grind you A** off for (or get lucky with a rare drop from Xenoanalyst), same with the infected mounts of the rakghoul event, also there is that miner speeder from the kdy rep vendor, as well as class companions which you got to do the story for, also there is grinding for nightmare level pve gear and for ranked pvp gear which takes a lot to work for, and probably a few other things I am missing
[Bastion]Guildmaster<Galactic Saviors>-War Hero Spaceboomer-55 Commando/Captain Starforce-55 Scoundrel/Darth Caddar-55 Juggernaut/Lord Brakaras-32 Assassin/Master Teckan-38 Sage/Firefighter-27 Powertech/Nightprowler-13 Sniper
refferal link for returning players and free character transfer and free inventory slot

Clarian
03.07.2014 , 06:55 PM | #37
If people had to do missions, form groups, earn credits, or otherwise just play the damn game just to get that super awesome mount that's on the cartel market.. they'd do it! But why should they now when they can just spend $5 and get it instantly? Where the hell is the fun in that?

"Yay! I finally got that speeder I've been wanting!.... now what do I do?"
To me, it's exactly the other way around. When I get a matching color crystal, dyed outfit, and speeder...what do I do? Go out and do stuff while looking awesome! I'm much more motivated to play the game with a character who looks the way I want. I don't want to wait until level 50 to get a purple color crystal; I don't do end-game, so that would mean I'd effectively never get one.

On the other hand: If the main motivation to do missions, etc. is to get those things, rather than for the fun of doing the mission itself...then what's really the point? I want to do quests because they're fun in themselves, not because they're the price of cosmetic customization.
The cartel market is effectively double-charging subscribers for stuff they should already have paid for.
Well...if they now have half the number of subscribers needed to keep the game viable, then logically they need twice the amount of money from them. They could either double subscription fees outright, or add on something that brings in significantly more money than it costs them.

But even if the game hadn't been in dire financial straits, the market has enhanced my enjoyment of it considerably. Like you said, cosmetics are a big driving force, and all those armors and mounts don't grow on trees.

Vandicus
03.07.2014 , 07:14 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
I remember 'this' game before the CM came along. If you were a Sorc, you had 'one' type of look and screw you if you wanted to look different. Same thing with BH and every other basic class.

And it's cool and all that you think you should be able to get all kinds of extra stuff for $15 a month. It's a laughable opinion, but hey, it's yours, right? Go on with your bad self.

See, I'm laughing because I get 'everything' I want from the CM via the GTN for credits. So when people rage about it, I just laugh.
Two technically. one pvp set, one pve. Back then, set bonuses weren't tied to armorings so everyone needed to wear the original gear.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Khevar
03.07.2014 , 07:20 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Two technically. one pvp set, one pve. Back then, set bonuses weren't tied to armorings so everyone needed to wear the original gear.
I was much relieved when 1.2 opened the door to getting the amoring-based set bonus. It meant my sage was able to not look like fool with gigantic shoulder-pads and oven-mitt gloves.

TheSupaCoopa
03.07.2014 , 07:23 PM | #40
Duran'del here:

You can get everything in the CM by playing the game. Its called GTN.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon