Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

Soul_of_Flames's Avatar


Soul_of_Flames
03.07.2014 , 05:53 PM | #1
Incoming wall of text. Turn back now if you don't want to read it.



I can't be the only person who thinks this. And I realize I'm probably gonna get flamed for this.. but the way they do the cartel market sucks.

I'm all for having the cartel market. Don't get me wrong. But they handle it so poorly that it sucks the fun from the game.

Anything that's worth having in this game comes from the cartel market. Special armor, color crystals, mounts, pets, stafighters, weapons...

Now I know that everything "worth having" is also stuff that's cosmetic... but cosmetics are a major driving force behind why a lot of people play. Where is my proof? Look how successful the market is. That's my proof. People want this stuff. They want it enough to spend stupid amounts of money for them. Not a day goes by when I don't hear about some guy spending hundreds of dollars on hypercrates because they wanted some varactyle or something.

If people had to do missions, form groups, earn credits, or otherwise just play the damn game just to get that super awesome mount that's on the cartel market.. they'd do it! But why should they now when they can just spend $5 and get it instantly? Where the hell is the fun in that?

"Yay! I finally got that speeder I've been wanting!.... now what do I do?"

And that's not even the worst part. The cartel market is effectively double-charging subscribers for stuff they should already have paid for. They use that "Monthly cartel coin allowance" as a scapegoat into making subs think they are getting special deals. You can't do crap with 600ccs. Yeah, sure maybe a pack or two but even that is a major rip-off. It's $15 a month which gives you 500-600ccs (whether or not you have a security key). You can spend $10 specifically in the cartel market and get almost double that (1050ccs). $20 will give you quadruple the sub allowance (2400cc).

We pay to play a game where we pay more money to get the stuff we want. W.T.F.?

And yes, before you say anything, I know... the cartel market is mostly cosmetics and they aren't essential for doing well in the game. That's a cop-out. But I digress. While I think it's insanely stupid to pay a sub for only a portion of the game's content, I'll let it slide because it's cosmetics (even though I still highly disagree with that.) What I really hate is they are slowly starting to charge you for content now. And I'm not talking about expansions. Expansions I don't mind...

edit: (after thought, I realize that GSF is an expansion in itself, so I sort of contradict myself here. This part was poorly thought out. However I'm not gonna delete it because I still think it makes a point.)
GSF ships, to name an example. And this ties back into my first point. What the hell is the point of playing GSF and earning fleet requisition if you can only buy a fraction of the various ships they have available? There's like 2 or 3 per faction that you can actually buy with requisition... but like 10 you can get with cartel coins. So yeah, you spend time playing to upgrade your ship... fine. But what if you want to spend time earning requisition to buy a new ship? Where is the fun in just getting one instantly because you use real money?

It's like paying to go to a movie about a car chase that skips the whole car chase sequence. What's the point?

I've been playing this game from the beginning. I love this game. I play it a lot. But man it's just starting to get on my nerves. It just feels like as of late that I'm being charged two times for something that I was under the impression I paid for the first time.

If they pull this same crap with player housing... I will not be a happy camper. I'd like something to spend time in. Upgrading and pouring credits into. But if the stuff "worth having" ... no if anything comes from the cartel market, then I'm going to be severely disappointed. Why should I spend time and effort making something personalized when some rich schmuck can just come and get the super exclusive cartel items that are 10x better than the average stuff just because they put more real money into it than me? Why am I paying a subscription in the first place if people can just go and do that?

And please.. no body spout off that "blah blah entitlement!" crap. I'm not demanding more stuff because I pay a sub. I'm just questioning why I'm paying twice for the stuff I was under the impression I had already paid for the first time around. If they were to come out with an expansion or new content, then I'd gladly pay more money for that because it's new and I obviously didn't pay for it the first time. I just feel like I'm being swindled by all this cartel market BS.

/rant

(TL;DR: Go away, and don't reply)

SimplyCooL's Avatar


SimplyCooL
03.07.2014 , 06:01 PM | #2
I agree. Atleast a few of those sought after items, mounts, vanity stuff need to be obtainable in the game. But thats debatable. What i would say is, the CM totally defeats the point of anything like Starfighter, Player Housing and so forth.

I'm not thinking " Ohh if i get into this, I'm might earn those cool things", rather "I need to invent cash, if i ever want to get into this and enjoy it" If defeats the purpose of the activity. No progression - no point. You can get to max level, by just buying the coolest stuff.
This is a Bioware game. Bioware does story very well. If you do not want story, this is not the game for you. - KawaiiAngel

- Oh cool.I HAVE been cloned!

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
03.07.2014 , 06:02 PM | #3
I tried to reply to your post and got crit for 99999 and died of boredom.

No, seriously, it seems very much like you want cosmetic stuff without paying for it and that's just silly.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
03.07.2014 , 06:04 PM | #4
It got about halfway through...gave up.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

SimplyCooL's Avatar


SimplyCooL
03.07.2014 , 06:07 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
It got about halfway through...gave up.
WOW people are lasy. Its not a damn novel.
This is a Bioware game. Bioware does story very well. If you do not want story, this is not the game for you. - KawaiiAngel

- Oh cool.I HAVE been cloned!

Reno_Tarshil's Avatar


Reno_Tarshil
03.07.2014 , 06:07 PM | #6
I disagree, the CM gave me renewed fun in this game after I quit for half a year before the game went F2P. (Yes, I quit.)
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
Quote:
Oooh look a butterfly.
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

SimplyCooL's Avatar


SimplyCooL
03.07.2014 , 06:08 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
I disagree, the CM gave me renewed fun in this game after I quit for half a year before the game went F2P. (Yes, I quit.)
CM=FUN...... Confusion:Please elaborate further!
This is a Bioware game. Bioware does story very well. If you do not want story, this is not the game for you. - KawaiiAngel

- Oh cool.I HAVE been cloned!

RaiderMid's Avatar


RaiderMid
03.07.2014 , 06:09 PM | #8
My biggest gripe about the CM is that is where the iconic gear comes from. It would be nice if there was questlines for lore related gear like lets say the Revan set or the Marka Ragnos set.

rockcrown's Avatar


rockcrown
03.07.2014 , 06:12 PM | #9
I have bought a few items on the CM. most of the stuff I have purchased with credits weeks after the packs come out.

The re-skinning of armor and weapons is comical but other than that I must say I like the CM. based on what I see on the GTN, lots of players like it too. So if having a CM peaks the interest of more players, which increases population.. I am absolutely fine with it.
| Agent Corvallis | Mercenary HAAS |
-= Severed of The Shadowlands =-

Soul_of_Flames's Avatar


Soul_of_Flames
03.07.2014 , 06:12 PM | #10
I don't care about getting cosmetic stuff for free. I'm bringing into question the divide between gameplay and the rewards it gives.

There isn't a point to playing the game when everything anyone ever wants is just a few $$$ away.

People will play longer if they had some of the cartel market exclusive items as quest rewards or just rewards for completing some hard to beat achievements. Give the players something to do besides throw money at the screen.
Quote: Originally Posted by rockcrown View Post
I have bought a few items on the CM. most of the stuff I have purchased with credits weeks after the packs come out.

The re-skinning of armor and weapons is comical but other than that I must say I like the CM. based on what I see on the GTN, lots of players like it too. So if having a CM peaks the interest of more players, which increases population.. I am absolutely fine with it.
I actually do the same thing. But you don't think that it feels shallow? These items are pretty cool and they are just passed around like candy.