Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[guide] what's the best crew skill for <insert class here>?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[guide] what's the best crew skill for <insert class here>?

psandak
03.05.2014 , 09:39 AM | #1
This is another question that pops up a LOT on these forums. So here goes another guide:

First and foremost, there are several perspectives that one can consider with regard to "what's best":

1. what crafting skill will provide the most use for the class?
2. what are the "optimized" companion crew skills; which skills are the class's companions best at?
3. how many and what are the desirable items from a given crew skill?
4. what crew skills does the players already have on other characters?

Each player has to decide what priority each of the above has. So now let's detail each perspective:

1. what crafting skill will provide the most use for the class?
  • Armormech: good for non-force users as you can craft armor while leveling and main stat augments; good for shield/absorb heavy tanks as you can craft augments
  • Armstech: good for non-force users as you can craft weapons and barrels; good for all classes as you can craft secondary stat augments
  • Artifice: good for force-users as you can craft lightsabers, lightsaber hilts, and focuses; good for all classes as you can craft color crystals, enhancements, and dye modules, and relics
  • Biochem: good for all classes for stims, medpacs, adrenals, and implants
  • Cybertech: good for all classes for armorings, mods, and ear pieces
  • Synthweaving: good for force-users as you can craft armor while leveling and main stat augments; good for defense rating heavy tanks as you can craft augments.

2. what are the "optimized" companion crew skills; which skills are the class's companions best at?
  • Trooper: +5 Crit to Armormech and Scavenging; +2 crit to Diplomacy; +1 crit to Underworld Trading
  • Smuggler: +5 crit to Armstech; +2 crit to both Bioanalysis and Investigation; +1 crit to Slicing
  • Jedi Knight: +5 crit to Synthweaving and Biochem; +2 crit to Slicing; +1 crit to Treasure Hunting
  • Jedi Consular: +2 crit to Armstech, Scavenging, and Diplomacy; +1 crit to Underworld Trading
  • Bounty Hunter: +2 crit to Biochem, Bioanalysis, and Treasure Hunting; +1 to crit to Armstech
  • Sith Warrior: +5 crit Sythweaving and Treasure Hunting; +2 crit to Investigation and Bioanalysis
  • Sith Inquisitor: +5 crit to Archeology; +2 crit to Scavenging and Slicing; +15 efficiency to Artifice (no class has +crit to artifice)
  • Imperial Agent: +5 crit to Diplomacy; +2 crit to Armormech, Underworld trading, and Slicing
  • Ship droid sensor units offer: +5 crit to Synthweaving and Cybertech; +2 crit to Armstech; Armormech and Artifice get +efficiency.; and Biochem is not available.
  • HK-51 and Treek both have +1 crit to all crafting skills

NOTES:
  • The Trooper is the only class with +crit to a crafting skill and +crit to the gathering and mission skill that feed that crafting.
  • The JK and SW have the best synthweaving especially when you add in the ship droid
  • The JC is by far the weakest when it comes to crew skills. The one +crit crafting does very little for the class
  • As stated, no class has +crit to Artifice. The best bonus is +15 efficiency from the SI. Throw in +10 efficiency from the ship droid and it is the best artificer.

3. how many and what are the desirable items from a given crew skill?
  • Cybertech is far and away the best when it comes to sheer volume of possible items to sell. Every level of every armoring and mod is desired. Add to that ear pieces of all levels too. Throw in grenades, and ship parts too.
  • Artifice is a close second. Many say it has pulled ahead of CT with regard to profitability. Lightsaber hilts are popular, but the best available are difficult to get the schematics for and most characters only need one. Enhancements are "bursty": they'll be a mad rush one day, and then you won't sell any for a week. Most dye modules sell regularly, but even they are prone to market crashing. Relics are great if you can get the materials (Midlithe crystals can be expensive on the GTN providing little net profit compared to other items)
  • Biochem follows closely with stims selling very well on "raid nights" (most commonly Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday). Implants sell reasonably well but most of them have poor stat distributions.
  • Armstech can sell the occasional weapon shell, barrels, and the secondary stat augments.
  • Synthweaving and Armormech can sell mid-level equipment and top end main stat and tank augments

4. what crew skills does the players already have on other characters?
There is no game mechanical reason to double up (or more) on any crafting skill other than Cybertech or Biochem. Those two provide for reusable items that can only be used by characters that have the skill to craft the reusables.

If you are asking about your first character, the answers are debatable. I fall into the camp of taking two of the three gathering skills (Scavenging, Bioanalysis, Archeology), and Slicing if you are a new subscribing player. My reason is that, I know from experience that trying to maintain a crafting crew skill so that what you craft does not lag behind can be credits intensive; just gathering from nodes is insufficient to maintain a crafting skill at or near a character's level - one has to run missions and lots of them. Others say that selling your wares on the GTN counter balances the expense. While probably true, that path is riskier: maybe what you make won't sell.

Contributions are welcome.

edited to remove the old #3: what aspects of the game does the player anticipate the character participating in? (PvE, PvP, both, solo, etc) because it is no longer relevant (CT and BC reusables are no longer available in end game).

2nd edit: armstech augment crafting is far more desirable in 3.x due to +power augments pulling even and (in ideal circumstances) pulling ahead of main stat augments, and the need for accuracy augments to get to the 100%/110% mark DPS classes need. And Artifice can now craft relics whose schematics are available from the trainer.

Khevar
03.05.2014 , 11:41 AM | #2
I'll add to this, CopperHamster put together this extensive spreadsheet quite some time ago:

https://docs.google.com/a/copperhams...lZDlOcUE#gid=0

It covers:

1. Which companions have which bonuses.
2. Grinding affection to maximize companion efficiency / crit.
3. Other useful companion crafting information.

georgemattson
03.05.2014 , 06:11 PM | #3
Great guide, Pete. I'll look at it in more detail when I get home, but one thing jumped out at me upon first glance:

Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Artifice: good for force-users as you can craft lightsabers and focuses; good for all classes as you can craft color crystals, enhancements, and dye modules, (and relics IF you can RE an existing unit)
Artifice also produces lightsaber hilts. IMO, those would be far more important than the lightsabers themselves, since a player would most likely be swapping those out more frequently. You do mention it later in your post, but I think crafting for 1-54 is just as important as crafting for 55.

One other thing I might suggest; you've offered opinions on how best to make money at crafting. I think it would help to include a lot of that here, given that making money while crafting (or at least trying not to lose too much money) is helpful to everyone and for some folks, it's the central purpose. Granted, a lot of that money making comes from gathering, not crafting, but I think a guide on crew skills would be an excellent place to address that question.
Cancelled subscription again. Heading back to Star Wars Galaxies on Bloodfin. Send me an email if you're interested in learning about it (or Google Bloodfin).

psandak
03.05.2014 , 07:35 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
Great guide, Pete. I'll look at it in more detail when I get home, but one thing jumped out at me upon first glance:

Artifice also produces lightsaber hilts. IMO, those would be far more important than the lightsabers themselves, since a player would most likely be swapping those out more frequently. You do mention it later in your post, but I think crafting for 1-54 is just as important as crafting for 55.

One other thing I might suggest; you've offered opinions on how best to make money at crafting. I think it would help to include a lot of that here, given that making money while crafting (or at least trying not to lose too much money) is helpful to everyone and for some folks, it's the central purpose. Granted, a lot of that money making comes from gathering, not crafting, but I think a guide on crew skills would be an excellent place to address that question.
Fixed it in the OP thanks, good catch .

as for a money making guide, this is not the place for that. While money making is a consideration when choosing crew skills, the secrets of my success, belong in another thread. Maybe soon

DawnAskham
03.17.2014 , 08:59 AM | #6
Nice guide OP.

I can't tell you how many times I've replied to the 'what is the best crew skill for X' question with the very questions you listed, though sometimes I still get the 'yeah yeah but which one is best'.

I also echo take three gathering as first crew skills as mats sell faster and with less risk than crafted items (it takes time to understand what sells and what does not).

I've also found slicing can be leveled to 400 at effectively no cost just running lock box missions (below 400 I've always ended up slightly ahead of expense before accounting for mission discoveries, above 400 the returns are less than the costs but come out ahead playing the crit / RNG game for parts / missions).

Edahsetin
08.04.2014 , 01:52 AM | #7
Since you posted in my guide thread, I thought I'd post in yours

If you're looking for an alternate guide you can use mine at: What's the Best Crew Skill for My Class? A SWTOR Crew Skills Guide

It goes over a lot of the same information that's covered here, but I personally find it more readable being less 'wall of text' dense. It offers more then just the facts and that might be something you're interested in if you're a beginner.

Interested in learning the best Crew Skill for your class? Or maybe the top Cartel Market Purchases? Maybe your looking for a Gift Guide with quick glance summary. Find all of my SWTOR Articles in my Star Wars The Old Republic Master Guide

g_land
08.16.2014 , 09:59 AM | #8
Just found the layout to be somewhat cumbersome for my purposes, rearranged it by skill and highest crit to lowest. Maybe someone else might find this useful:

Crafting skills:
Armormech: +5 Trooper, +2 IA
Armstech: +5 Smuggler, +2 JC, +1 BH
Artifice: No crit available
Biochem: +5 JK, +2 BH
Cybertech: no crit available from class story companions
Synthweaving: +5 JK, +5 SW

Gathering Skills:
Archeology: +5 SI,
Bioanalysis: +2 Smuggler, +2 BH, +2 SW
Scavenging: +5 Trooper, +2 JC, +2 SI
Slicing: +2 JK, +2 SI, +2 IA, +1 Smuggler

Mission Skills:
Diplomacy: +5 IA, +2 Trooper, +2 JC
Investigation: +2 Smuggler, +2 SW
Treasure Hunting: +5 SW, +2 BH, +1 JK,
Underworld Trading: +2 IA, +2 SI, +1 Trooper, +1 JC

Exiles of the Jedi

JonnyRay
09.22.2014 , 10:40 AM | #9
Page 4? Really? For one of the best guides to this FAQ on these forums?

Unacceptable. Back to page 1 with you!

Soupmaster
10.13.2014 , 11:39 AM | #10
I wanted to add that SI also has +2 to Underworld trading Critical but its tied to Andron that has +2 critical slicing. So SI has a companion that has two criticals attached to it.