Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

dps meter

Melchiora
01.12.2012 , 07:46 PM | #31
I think there seems to be some disagreement about what is meant by various terms.

What I personally want: A combat log, that can be analyzed to pull out damage numbers and timestamps, so that I can look at and measure my own output. A damage meter.

Now, some of the disagreement seems to be about the format.

If we have a combat log that can be saved, it can then be analyzed later (either by a website, or program on computer, or heck, by hand, but we'd have the information the server does).

This can be implemented either with, or without, a way to actively analyze the data in game (depending on what restrictions are placed on methods to alter the UI, etc.).

"Damage meter" does not necessarily mean a mod that lets people post the last fight's numbers to chat after each boss. If I had one, I'd use it to view my own numbers, and determine if I seemed particularly low compared to others, or how much I expected myself to be putting out. If I only had a combat log and external parser, I could use that too, just not as conveniently.

As it stands, I have no easy way to see if I'm missing something. Boss is dying slowly. Is my damage low? Is my brother's? I see my numbers on the screen, but without fraps and a stopwatch I can't easily convert (ok, there's probably some way to intercept the data, but that's beyond my area of experience). I definitely can't see how anyone else is doing. Maybe there's another sniper who's doing twice as much damage as I am. Maybe I completely overlooked an ability, which when energy cost, cast time, etc. is all factored in, is great to use whenever possible. Maybe I'm using an ability I shouldn't which is actually leaving me more energy starved than I ought to be.

I have had times in other games where my damage was about 70% of what it should have been, because I was ignoring an ability that I thought was only worthwhile for aoe (turns out it was awesome for single target, in large part because of synergy with another ability that was not obvious at first glance). Yes, I could look up "proper sniper priority list," but I prefer to work on it myself, UNTIL there's an issue with my output. This means I need to be able to know when I'm having an issue with output.

The tools do not need to have in game spam capability. I'm sure some people would prefer in game access, but many would be glad to just have external access to a combat log, or even just the log where we could then manually write down the info and type it in externally.

RiskyBiz
01.12.2012 , 08:00 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Zothlar View Post
If you have been treated badly by someone "because of the dps meter" you have brought it on yourself in two ways. 1) you joined a group that was motivated by performance and 2) you failed to perform well. .
Harsh, but true.
"Seaworth"
(Sawbones Healer)

The Westeros Legacy
[Malicious]

Keeneyes
01.12.2012 , 11:52 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Thankyjack View Post
First, progression guilds don't rely on meters or, even, try to evaluate those issues during the raid. We post logs and analyze the logs between lockouts. That's the only way to evaluate performance as a raid or individual performance. You need time and discussion to understand the numbers. This is especially true for healing and dps. We don't even allow members to post meters during raids.
YMMV, but my progression guild uses combat logs as a TOOL. Because we understand the context of their usefulness, they help us to identify problem areas and fix them when things go wrong. Our raiders don't use them for bragging rights or ignore raid mechanics just to push their numbers higher. Everyone does their job and everyone is mature about it. As such, I find it tedious when people try to lump everyone together and act like their own poor experience is representative of the whole player base. Some guilds and raids use them the right way for the right reasons. For those who have had negative experiences with them, I'm sorry that's the case, but maybe you've either been in the wrong guild or raid or else you have unrealistic expectations of being able to hammer keys with oven mitts and expect everyone to applaud your skills as a gaming samurai.

Regardless, even the context of number parsing Thankyjack is beyond the realm of possibility because there's no log of any kind.

RagingSage
02.03.2012 , 01:45 AM | #34
If we only had personal dps meters, I'd be absolutely fine with that. I only want a dps meter to gauge my own performance, not others.

But it is absolutely necessary, and I really hope this is something that comes in quickly. For people like myself, this is a priority. I want to be able to gauge what works, and what doesn't, and improve myself. That's important to me.

Please implement asap, bioware. Thanks.
CE

Thelgow
02.03.2012 , 07:39 AM | #35
Like wise. As a sniper I'm still debating whether to laze, sniper then ambush, or laze, ambush, then snipe. etc.
And without having any actual proof, I have no idea whats going on.
Warzones can count your damage so its obviously in the game behind the scenes.
Let us see it when we want to.

Novastinger
02.03.2012 , 10:05 AM | #36
This game needs combat logging ASAP. It's ridiculous to run operations without one, as it stands when things aren't going well, people just start throwing blame around with nothing to back it up. It's all based on hunches or who's friends with who and what not. Especially considering how much they love enrage mechanics.

They're probably afraid that it'll give objective analysis between the various dps classes, which will causing more whining. Either that or it just hasn't been completed to satisfaction from the development perspective.

JackkSparrow
02.03.2012 , 10:38 AM | #37
lol they were supposed to have that implemented already *** 7 years of construction and no combat log?
#Winning! xo c^

Nikolu
02.03.2012 , 02:42 PM | #38
If a combat log is implemented a damage meter will be made, even if its 3rd party and out of game, and you have to tab out to check it or play in window mode, it will happen. People saying they support a combat log but not a damage meter aren't really following the evolution of the idea. Its going to happen.

Zaxaras
02.03.2012 , 04:35 PM | #39
I like to know if I'm doing something wrong, then I can improve myself by fixing it. Dps meters will allow me to do that, as well as (hopefully) compare myself to others using the equivalent of worldoflogs. Bring them on.

Rhavim
02.05.2012 , 12:55 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by toybreaker View Post
I personally hope they never release DPS parsing info. It changes the focus from the story/fun to a numbers game and arguments that someone was 12 dps under where they need to be. One of the reasons I stopped playing that other MMO. stay raw...i am sure I will lose this one

the real problem comes when you are trying your hardest to beat a boss that has an enrage timer, you use stims, adrenals, you perfect your rotation, you optimize your gear and spec the best way possible and do major research on forums and whatnot, still dont defeat the boss and the group just keeps failing, later the group decides you must be the problem because the other dps is wearing purples (pvp purples) and you are wearing moddable gear (with pve purple mods) and they boot you.

later you discover the other dps was a jedi sentinel that just threw 20 points in each tree because he felt they were cool and all he did was smash his focus gaining ability and one focus dump ability, has no idea what a rotation is and said he doesnt need one because he rocks in pvp, apperantly. he also doesnt know what an adrenal is or does.

true story.