Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear Requirement for Ops SM

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Gear Requirement for Ops SM

Superfreack
03.03.2014 , 11:29 AM | #1
I want to start Tanking SM Operations, but I donít want to start until Iím prepared.
What is a decent benchmark of gear that I will need to start Tanking SMs?

The average item level of my current gear is probably 162. I purchased all of the Elite com pieces that donít have Alacrity in them. The rest of my gear is made up of Ĺ drops from HM FPs and Ĺ basic comms purchases.
To improve my gear and start earning Ultimate comms, what is the best course of action? Should I farm more Elite Comms and rip out alacrity mods for the basic comm mods? Should I farm credits and buy mods and implants/Ear/Relics? Should I PUG the easiest SMs?

Also Ė Is there a site that is good for learning the strats for Operation Bosses?

Methoxa
03.03.2014 , 11:55 AM | #2
Get microfil implants then your good to go.
Revanchist

OMGITSJAD
03.03.2014 , 01:24 PM | #3
You can go in 66 armorings to SM TFB/S&V but it's so easy to get 69/72 you may as well be in them instead. I would say DF/DP SM you would want at least 69 armorings. Do NOT use alacrity mods or enhancements. The only classes in the game that use alacrity are healers. Bioware just puts Alacrity in some pieces for whatever reason. I guess because they like making Tanks cry(still getting Accuracy enhancements in top tier Dread Forged tanking gear good grief...).
I would say check the GTN and look for ear and implants called Veracity and filter by your mainstat. They look like this and can be found with Strength, Willpower, or Aim for your class. Don't let the low endurance fool you though, they generally have the 2nd best mitigation out of any tanking implant/ear in the game just below Dread Forged so they should last you until then and shouldn't cost too much for all 3 pieces.

As for strategies, http://dulfy.net/category/swtor/operations/ is a great place to look.

Rufussay
03.03.2014 , 01:38 PM | #4
The implants are veracity experimental (reaction, response, resistance). I'd definitely recommend picking up a pair of them. On my server they can usually be picked up in the 40-50K range a piece, so roughly the cost of a set of dailies.

If you can, save yourself some credits down the road and try to pick up an already-augmented set, since you'll hold onto them long enough to want to augment them eventually. There's a huge arbitrage where the augmented ones usually go for 60-70K a piece, or 20K more, while actually augmenting them yourself will cost you 90-100K.

Kadjunga
03.05.2014 , 03:23 AM | #5
All you need is 66 / 69 gear, fully augmented with veracity implants / earpiece to be able to tank sm ops. Especailyl the 16man sm ops which most of the time, have overgeared haelers and dps in them anyway.

Also... the 66 proper enhancements are better than the skewed ones you get from comm gear. The first upgrade is from hm snv / tfb drops (or underworld gear). Til then, 55 immunity and sturdiness are the way to go.

If you add
defense rating + shield rating + absorb rating, you get yor mitigation pool.

For hm fp's, it should be 1600
for sm raids it should be 1900
for hm tfb / snv 2100
for hm df 2300
for hm dp 2400

that would be comfortable tanking levels where you dont feel like you are letting your group down a lot.

2100 is more or less full 69/72 with augments
2300 is half 78 comm gear, half 72 comm comm gear (or drops)
2450 is full 78 comm gear (enh + mod) and veracity implants / earpiece

fully augmented ofcourse, augments gives you +392 or +448 more mitigation.

Also, i would STRONGLY suggest to pick up a 4 piece armor bonus, even if it is just 69 armorings for your tank, when you start hm df / dp. 69 set bonus armorings are better than 78 non-set bonus armorings by far. The only class that "might" get away with it, would be a powertech, but even then, it is still a slight downgrade by skipping the setbonus.

Prototypemind
03.05.2014 , 03:53 AM | #6
If you haven't already, I'd recommend you join a guild where you can co-tank with someone who's experienced. Learning with someone who knows the content and can help you through it will always trump gearing. 66s are enough to start doing TC and EV HM/NiM to help get a feel for working with an Ops group and to grab some easy Comms, and TfB and S&V are more than doable in this as well, especially with a knowledgeable and geared group.

As mentioned, you can buy much of the 66 mitigation mod, enhancement, and implant/earpiece suite you'd want, as well as even buying Arkanian Relics if you have the creds to spare and want to fudge things a little.

Bottom line, I recommend you run with a regular group rather than trying to Pug it up. You can, however, learn as you go because all of the top tanks started somewhere, just try and get in with people who are patient enough to progress and are cool with not clearing everything the first time if that's the case. Keep it fun.

Superfreack
03.05.2014 , 04:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kadjunga View Post

Also, i would STRONGLY suggest to pick up a 4 piece armor bonus, even if it is just 69 armorings for your tank, when you start hm df / dp. 69 set bonus armorings are better than 78 non-set bonus armorings by far. The only class that "might" get away with it, would be a powertech, but even then, it is still a slight downgrade by skipping the setbonus.
Which type of gear has the set bonus w/ 69 Armorings? Do you mean the lvl 50 classic comms gear?
How does a set bonus work? You can rip out all, but the armoring and you can still keep the set bonus stats? Or can the armorings from set piece gear be ripped out and put into other pieces to effectively get the set bonus?

OMGITSJAD
03.06.2014 , 12:41 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Superfreack View Post
Which type of gear has the set bonus w/ 69 Armorings? Do you mean the lvl 50 classic comms gear?
How does a set bonus work? You can rip out all, but the armoring and you can still keep the set bonus stats? Or can the armorings from set piece gear be ripped out and put into other pieces to effectively get the set bonus?
The way set bonuses work is, the set bonus is attached to the armoring. So if you open up a piece of gear with a set bonus on it and hover over the armoring, you will see the set bonus in addition to the stats of the armoring. You can rip out the armoring and put it in any piece of gear(as long as it's the same slot like chest to chest, boots to boots, etc.) you want to get the set bonus while still being able to put in whatever mods & enhancements that may be higher level as well without losing the set bonus.

Also if you are playing a Juggernaut tank I would say that the armoring is more important than the set bonus. If you are playing a Powertech or an Assassin, the set bonuses are way more invaluable than some extra armor rating, however.

Kadjunga
03.06.2014 , 02:41 AM | #9
The only tank class that benefits from the set bonus from lvl50 vs 69 armorings is the assasin/ shadow. The 2% damage reduction from 4 piece gives you more damage reduction AND the +5% shield chance vs just armorings.

What i meant was... pick up the arkanian gear drops asap from raid drops and use those for the set bonuses. Don't upgrade to 78 armorings via ultimate gear over those, since even the arkanian set bonus is better for survival, than the extra armor you get.

Sins / shadows go down in DR when they add 78 non-set armors on,
pt / vanguard lose a lot of mitigation that is hard to get
jug / guardian lose their absorbs, which is quite useful but not 100% mandatory. But if your tanking and giving up mitigation for armor rating then... well...

Prototypemind
03.06.2014 , 03:42 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kadjunga View Post
The only tank class that benefits from the set bonus from lvl50 vs 69 armorings is the assasin/ shadow. The 2% damage reduction from 4 piece gives you more damage reduction AND the +5% shield chance vs just armorings.

What i meant was... pick up the arkanian gear drops asap from raid drops and use those for the set bonuses. Don't upgrade to 78 armorings via ultimate gear over those, since even the arkanian set bonus is better for survival, than the extra armor you get.

Sins / shadows go down in DR when they add 78 non-set armors on,
pt / vanguard lose a lot of mitigation that is hard to get
jug / guardian lose their absorbs, which is quite useful but not 100% mandatory. But if your tanking and giving up mitigation for armor rating then... well...
You forget the 20% boost to Sonic Barrier absorption gained by that four piece set bonus. Definitely worth having. That's a huge gain in active mitigation after every Force Scream.