Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New to MMO's, is it normal that I often get killed if I don't use my healer..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New to MMO's, is it normal that I often get killed if I don't use my healer..

DPswfan
03.01.2014 , 02:45 PM | #1
I am a level 53 sith juggernaut. I am new to the MMO world and so I find all of this armor and stats and other things like that overwhelming. Anyway, I have found that throughout my leveling experience, it is difficult for me to kill some enemies of my level (usually elite ones), or even ones at level lower than me if I don't use my healer. I like my other companions but they aren't even close to as useful? It this normal?

Essence_of_Light
03.01.2014 , 02:51 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DPswfan View Post
I am a level 53 sith juggernaut. I am new to the MMO world and so I find all of this armor and stats and other things like that overwhelming. Anyway, I have found that throughout my leveling experience, it is difficult for me to kill some enemies of my level (usually elite ones), or even ones at level lower than me if I don't use my healer. I like my other companions but they aren't even close to as useful? It this normal?
For new players, yes, this is normal. Seeing as you haven't fully grasped the concept of maxing your stats, using your abilities to maximize the damage you do, etc.

Another thing to take into account is what role you are playing. Depending on the role you choose (DPS, Tank, Healer) you need to use different companions to succeed. If you are playing DPS and/or Tank then it is normal for you to need a healer companion to pull you through.

Seeing as you are new to MMOs, this guide may help you out with stats: Click Here
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

jaytdasme
03.01.2014 , 02:56 PM | #3
it's definitely normal if you're new to the game.. but most people catch on by 53.. First make sure you're build is sound and you aren't trying use all skill trees. Focus on if you want to damage or tank. Then gear up accordingly. it's important that you're gear is current particularly if your tackling 50+ content. It would take way too much for me to tell you how to gear so you should probably research that. But, personally i think companions kind of give us a little crutch and don't think they even belong in an MMO but since we have them, once your gear is in order try to get them equipped decently as well. Until then i'd stick to only using your healing companion. If you have a fair amount of credits saved up I'd spend some time Shopping GTN as most of what you find outside of OPs/FPs quickly becomes obsolete.
“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Khevar
03.01.2014 , 03:01 PM | #4
I had the same experience on my first character.

In addition to maximizing your gear potential (as the other posters have mentioned), there are other ways to improve your survival with other characters. Sending your companions in first, knowing which are the most damaging enemy abilities and interrupting them (as a Juggernaut you have more than 1 interrupt), killing the enemy healers (and weaker enemies) first, these are all things that help.

It used to be that an Elite enemy was too difficult to tackle on my own. Once I got more comfortable with all of the skills at my disposals, taking on three at a time became doable.

I would recommend reading up guides on running group content, as the skills you learn there will help you solo the more difficult enemies as well.

DPswfan
03.01.2014 , 03:05 PM | #5
Thanks for the replies, for the record I am a Tank but I chose the skill tree that is more damage focused.

Callaron
03.01.2014 , 03:40 PM | #6
Thanks for the replies, for the record I am a Tank but I chose the skill tree that is more damage focused.
Then you aren't a Tank, the other two are DPS trees.
I'd highly recommend not trying to tank hardmode Flashpoints when you reach level 55 unless you actually take the spec that says tank - you'll save yourself a lot of headaches (and angry groupmates).
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)

OddballEasyEight
03.01.2014 , 03:43 PM | #7
Then you really arn't a tank

You are only a tank if you choose the tanking tree basically. You might be a hybrid kinda thing, but for all intents and purposes, you are not a tank.

As a DPS (which you would be then) you need your healing companion.
Tanks need a DPS companion.
Healers need a Tank companion.

For the record, the Advanced Class doesn't determine if you are a tank or not. I have a pure DPS Power Tech Bounty Hunter for example.
And you can be a Bounty Hunter Mercenary that isn't a healer. And so on and so forth.
Goes for all the classes.
Most advanced classes can be either DPS or Tank/Healer. The ones that can't are usually split in AOE, direct or DOT specials...
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

Elly_Dawn
03.01.2014 , 03:43 PM | #8
then you're not quite a tank, you're a hybrid which is harder to manage than a dedicated Tank, Healer, or DPS would be... not impossible, but a bit more difficult... i'd suggest going back to fleet and re-spec for a true Tank (the Defense Tree)...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

OddballEasyEight
03.01.2014 , 03:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Elly_Dawn View Post
then you're not quite a tank, you're a hybrid which is harder to manage than a dedicated Tank, Healer, or DPS would be... not impossible, but a bit more difficult... i'd suggest going back to fleet and re-spec for a true Tank (the Defense Tree)...
I'd reccomend DPS since that is easier for someone who is new to MMO's.
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

Callaron
03.01.2014 , 03:47 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
I'd reccomend DPS since that is easier for someone who is new to MMO's.
Less pressure during group oriented stuff as well.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)