Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A plea for change - Alignment.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A plea for change - Alignment.

Rufussay
02.27.2014 , 02:36 PM | #21
I've only played light-side characters, so I have a fairly dumb question: do dark-side non force users have dark-side corruption (of their facial features)?

hadoken
02.27.2014 , 02:37 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Rufussay View Post
I've only played light-side characters, so I have a fairly dumb question: do dark-side non force users have dark-side corruption (of their facial features)?
Yes they do, it's...weird.

Bleeters
02.27.2014 , 02:44 PM | #23
You can toggle it off, at least.

MillionsKNives
02.27.2014 , 02:50 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
You can toggle it off, at least.
For some reason that brings back memories of the bug they had at or near launch which made it so that every time you zoned it would reset that toggle to on. That meant that my evil merc would constantly have dark side corruption on. It got so annoying that I completely stopped playing that character until they fixed it.

Cavell
02.28.2014 , 12:36 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
I know right. Every time I've seen his argument brought up (and that's a lot, mostly when they first made the change) I've never seen them acknowledge that you could have dark Jedi and light Sith, which completely ruins the argument.
It hardly ruins the argument, it simply illustrates another concession made to gameplay over lore. Bioware made a lot of those. I'm pretty fine with recognizing that, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd like it to go back to alignment-based restrictions. I get that a lot of people want to be super-special snowflake light side Sith, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Karkais
02.28.2014 , 03:55 AM | #26
There are many things wrong with how alignment was handled in SWTOR, and I don't really see them revamping the entire PVE content just to accommodate alignment done 'right'.

Second best solution is probably just to remove alignment restrictions on items and let people have darkside corruption if they want. Which they have done.

Problems:
- Alignment choices in dialog are completely shallow: kill? DS. Save? LS. No thought behind it, save couple very rare cases where DS alignment change happens without killing someone.
- There is only one storyline, nothing you do affects what comes afterwards in any way (well apart from couple encounters in flashpoints). Alignment choices should have an effect on events that happen after, but they don't. The only thing the choices affect is alignment which is completely superfluous. There should be branching storylines with different outcomes/rewards/enemies depending on alignment choice, but devs won't do this since its a gargantuan effort for something that has no meaning in the game currently. At best they might change one or two flashpoints, but that is pointless since alignment should be more about characters development into good/bad, meaning the leveling storyline, not the flashpoints(especially since in a flashpoint the outcome will be randomly decided between team members anyway).
- Alignment should affect more than just characters complexion. However, having restrictions on items isn't right either. I liked the idea of different versions of abilities depending on alignment. Kotor had alignment- locked abilities too, after all.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

horrorfaneightys
02.28.2014 , 04:57 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
- There is only one storyline, nothing you do affects what comes afterwards in any way (well apart from couple encounters in flashpoints). Alignment choices should have an effect on events that happen after, but they don't. The only thing the choices affect is alignment which is completely superfluous. There should be branching storylines with different outcomes/rewards/enemies depending on alignment choice, but devs won't do this since its a gargantuan effort for something that has no meaning in the game currently. At best they might change one or two flashpoints, but that is pointless since alignment should be more about characters development into good/bad, meaning the leveling storyline, not the flashpoints(especially since in a flashpoint the outcome will be randomly decided between team members anyway).
I can think if at least one instance where a decision you make in the second chapter affects your choices at the end of chapter three - the IA storyline.
Xaniata-kee Morga-dar Li'lu-fei Aiden-grey Jadze Sangui Lavent Rou'n Nua'mi Bloodsigh Argeia Rufous Charc Janeena Rubane Gwyrr Vio'xa Audrina Rey

Hakkology
02.28.2014 , 05:10 AM | #28
I would love to get more visual dependent that comes with alignment.
Even could be the residue force speed leaves behind.
Hakko of the Red Eclipse ( Telekinetics Sage )

Vigilanis
02.28.2014 , 07:09 AM | #29
I think having a LACK of restrictions is a good thing, it opens up a greater wealth of personalized option for your character, especially if you like to RP. You could be a fallen Jedi, with no love for the Empire, who is technically aligned with the Republic but with dark intentions, wielding the red saber of a Sith. Or a light aligned Sith who has grown tired of the random murders and pointless hatred of the Sith Order and instead wields the blue blade of a Jedi and is more light aligned....two examples of the endless possibilities this lack of alignment restrictions gives you, it allows you to tell and live your story the way you want to. I for one love it.
The Legend of Vigi

Vigilanis Level 65 Shadow - O'Phelia Level 60 Seer
Nepheru Level 60 Sentinel - Phallanx Level 60 Vanguard - Ric'in Level 60 Gunslinger

Darth_Wicked
02.28.2014 , 07:16 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Vigilanis View Post
I think having a LACK of restrictions is a good thing, it opens up a greater wealth of personalized option for your character, especially if you like to RP. You could be a fallen Jedi, with no love for the Empire, who is technically aligned with the Republic but with dark intentions, wielding the red saber of a Sith. Or a light aligned Sith who has grown tired of the random murders and pointless hatred of the Sith Order and instead wields the blue blade of a Jedi and is more light aligned....two examples of the endless possibilities this lack of alignment restrictions gives you, it allows you to tell and live your story the way you want to. I for one love it.
Or you can put aside all that silly stuff and accept that the color of one's LS has absolute NO bearing whatsoever in his or her alignment, concerning the force...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqmSnIJwNY#t=00m21s