Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A plea for change - Alignment.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A plea for change - Alignment.

arunav
02.27.2014 , 11:19 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TravelersWay View Post
That is hilarious...

Cavell
02.27.2014 , 11:48 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
Not really. I'm very glad they removed the light/dark side restrictions on saber colors.
I'm not. It slays the established lore pretty thoroughly to have tons of Sith running around with glowstick rainbows.

hadoken
02.27.2014 , 11:54 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
I'm not. It slays the established lore pretty thoroughly to have tons of Sith running around with glowstick rainbows.
Less than having said glowsticks hit like wifflebats IMO.

MillionsKNives
02.27.2014 , 12:18 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
So it's established in lore that my Sith Assassin has to choose between blue and green saber colors?

hadoken
02.27.2014 , 12:20 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
So it's established in lore that my Sith Assassin has to choose between blue and green saber colors?
I can't imagine the headaches he gets over the dialogue choices and the ability to go light side as a sith.

MillionsKNives
02.27.2014 , 12:30 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
I can't imagine the headaches he gets over the dialogue choices and the ability to go light side as a sith.
I know right. Every time I've seen his argument brought up (and that's a lot, mostly when they first made the change) I've never seen them acknowledge that you could have dark Jedi and light Sith, which completely ruins the argument.

RowanThursday
02.27.2014 , 12:43 PM | #17
Having saber colours restricted to *force alignment* -never- made any sense, that's why it was removed.

People up-thread have commented that having Sith running round with glowstick rainbows breaks lore. That's a separate contention, but Jedi - Sith =/= Light side - Dark Side. SWTOR never restricted red sabers to Sith and green/blue to Jedi. That, while a bad idea, might have made a certain sense, if you argued that red crystals were the only ones accessible to Imperial crystal fabricators, and green blue natural crystals were the only ones available to mine for the Republic. That, however, isn't what we had. We instead had "Ohhh you're really evil, the blue and green crystals won't go into *your* saber..." and "Red crystals are mean bad <insert Samuel L.Jacksonism>, they won't go in any weak-willed lightsider wimp's saber"... which made colour crystals seem like some kind of consortium of conscientious ribenaberries with Opinions.

Really, the 'lore' thing on crystals is massively inadequate to the task most people arguing for crystal restrictions put it to anyway. It only says that Sith *tend* to use synthetic crystals which *tend* to be red in colour, while Jedi *tend* to use natural crystals which *tend* to be blue or green. When even your generalisation takes pains to establish that it's not in any way final, it's clear that while the NPC hordes may well usually be using red/purple or blue/green (respectively, sith and Jedi), it's not more than worthy of passing note that four characters in this universe, the Barsenthor, the Knight who was Orgus Din's Apprentice, Darth Nox, and the Emperor's Wrath, just happened to not do so.
"Next time you come to a rough choice in the dark, and think to yourself 'No one's gonna know'... imagine you've got yourself a mirror and hold it up, think like you're lookin' in the glass. That's who's gonna know."
-- Captain Melody January of the Freighter Hestia's Dawn.

Dagis
02.27.2014 , 01:44 PM | #18
I believe that alignment should work in the following ways:

Sith warrior who is light side uses light side attacks for instance, replace force choke with force stasis (the light side equivalent)

Jedi knight that is dark side used force choke instead of stasis.

Repeat for all classes, see the thing is this is sort of in place as all classes are mirrors anyway so it's just about putting animations been dependant on alignment and if neutral then that's based on standard animations for class.

I feel this would add more character depth than what is currently in place and make the storyline and characters feel more inline with alignment options.

Lord_of_Stone
02.27.2014 , 02:13 PM | #19
I actually really enjoyed the lightsaber restrictions way back in the day. But hey, thats just me. Most people tend to forget that the best crystals in KOTOR 1 and 2 were restricted to alignment as well. Not that they were color crystals, but regardless, Bioware clearly wanted to continue in a similar vein and for the most part I had no problem with that.

In any event, I would really like to see alignment mean something at some point. Unfortunately, whatever they do, people are going to be pissed off about it. Even if its as something as minor as a color crystal they probably wont even use they'll still ***** about not having the right to use it.
KablahiSuraki TyractEnli

IntileFlight PharyaVindor

Bleeters
02.27.2014 , 02:18 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Dagis View Post
I believe that alignment should work in the following ways:

Sith warrior who is light side uses light side attacks for instance, replace force choke with force stasis (the light side equivalent)

Jedi knight that is dark side used force choke instead of stasis.
This I'd love.

Quote:
Repeat for all classes, see the thing is this is sort of in place as all classes are mirrors anyway so it's just about putting animations been dependant on alignment and if neutral then that's based on standard animations for class.
This... not so much. There's nothing inherently good or bad about shooting a rifle rather than a pistol.