Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Males Are Too Short

Cavell
02.27.2014 , 03:19 AM | #1
I know that at this point in the game's life cycle, the body types are never going to change, but I thought I'd shout into the maelstrom anyway.

Conventional wisdom is that for males, you have a choice between three regular height options and one tall option. I'd contend it's actually the reverse; you have a choice between three short options and one regular height option.

Consider:

Jace Malcolm and Darth Malgus both use Body Type 3 in-game, and we know from the trailers they're not particularly tall guys.

If you put a BT 3 next to a Wookie in-game, it looks like at least a foot of height difference, which would put BT 3 in the 5'10" - 6'2" range.

If you put a BT 1/2/4 male next to a "default" BT 2 female, they're quite close in height, whereas average height difference, using the US as a sample population, would be about 5 inches...which would be much closer to the difference between male BT 3 and female BT 2.

Solution? Make male Body Types 1, 2, and 4 taller. This is only half tongue-in-cheek and not at all brought about by how ridiculously massive one feels running around as a male BT 3.

Essence_of_Light
02.27.2014 , 03:26 AM | #2
Son, you're thinking too much again.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Legoncy
02.27.2014 , 03:28 AM | #3
Better yet they could just make it so we can just customize our height like many other MMOs, it's a wonder a game that cost 300mil to develop doesn't have that option and much lower budget MMOs do...

I really don't want my stealth characters and healers to be tall though, so I vote no to a height increase for 1 and 2.
Prophecy of the Five PvP Server
Merriak - Level 55 Jedi Shadow

Cavell
02.27.2014 , 04:45 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Legoncy View Post
Better yet they could just make it so we can just customize our height like many other MMOs, it's a wonder a game that cost 300mil to develop doesn't have that option and much lower budget MMOs do...

I really don't want my stealth characters and healers to be tall though, so I vote no to a height increase for 1 and 2.
They wouldn't be tall. As I explained, they'd be average height rather than the Elijah Wood size they are now.

Llama-Eight
02.27.2014 , 06:45 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
If you put a BT 3 next to a Wookie in-game, it looks like at least a foot of height difference, which would put BT 3 in the 5'10" - 6'2" range.

If you put a BT 1/2/4 male next to a "default" BT 2 female, they're quite close in height, whereas average height difference, using the US as a sample population, would be about 5 inches...which would be much closer to the difference between male BT 3 and female BT 2.
That makes me think that the female options are too tall, as 5'10 - 6'2 seems reasonable (even possibly a bit on the tall side) for male characters. Maybe you're just used to freakishly tall men IRL?

Beltane
02.27.2014 , 07:56 AM | #6
Isn't male BT4 the same height as BT3?

It always has annoyed me that female BT1/BT2/BT4 are all the same height as male BT2, which the majority of the population is. Male BT1 is a tiny bit shorter. Since male BT2 feels like it's 6' or so, apparently all females in Star Wars are a minimum of 5'10?

It's not a game breaker but I agree, the heights are annoying. That's why people have asked for a male body in between BT2 and BT3 since beta. I really don't understand why they used this engine if fluff features like height sliders are just beyond it's limits.
--=[ Wrath of Korriban
Ebon Hawk | Heavy Sith RP
IG: Beltane

hadoken
02.27.2014 , 08:04 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Legoncy View Post

It's because of the cinematics. This is a conscious design decision not some budget or system limitation.

ImmortalLowlife
02.27.2014 , 08:14 AM | #8
All my male characters use bt3. I'm 6'4" irl so I always use the tallest option anyway. It would be nice to have a more athletic female option tho...
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

Server: The Shadowlands/ Guild~The Elite Imperial Guard & Order of the Light~

Cavell
02.28.2014 , 12:40 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Beltane View Post
Isn't male BT4 the same height as BT3?
No, noticeably shorter.

Adaliaya
02.28.2014 , 01:09 AM | #10
Wouldn't that make them a bit too tall compared to female toons? Already body 1 female and body 3 male kissing looks like quite hilarious, especially if boy is wearing heavy armoring and girl robes and if I compare my femSages and my friend's male Vanguards lenght and shoulders my poor Sage looks like way too small. And now you suggest making males even taller