Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

TDM much improved by removal of capital ship turrets

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
TDM much improved by removal of capital ship turrets

Kuciwalker's Avatar


Kuciwalker
03.27.2014 , 10:03 AM | #41
Except when you get DO and I spend the entire 30 seconds forcing you to run away

SammyGStatus's Avatar


SammyGStatus
03.27.2014 , 11:37 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Except when you get DO and I spend the entire 30 seconds forcing you to run away
LMAO way to spoil my fun!!!
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

ptwonline's Avatar


ptwonline
03.27.2014 , 12:09 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Vid-szhite View Post
And as long as your whole team isn't new players and the whole other team isn't pros, TDM doesn't get so unbalanced that you die as you spawn. Not that I've seen. I've seen people try, and fail, but never succeed. Most new players don't even know there ARE cap ships, or that the turrets do anything. I didn't until I got killed by one while chasing a gunship in TDM... who used it to hide from me every time I got close. It was never "solace" for me until I unlocked my own gunship and did the same thing. That should tell you something. It was recent enough that I still remember it well.

It only takes one good player to break a spawn camp - pressure people into running or chasing, and they scatter. If no good pilots are on your team, cap ship turrets won't change a thing, it just moves the camp back a few km. in fact, it encourages the campers to use gunships, which new players have a VERY hard time against. Without cap ship turrets, most people fly strikes and scouts, which can't cover a large area all at once.
I've seen it several times now. Mostly when I get subbed into a match and I see red all over my screen and my side is losing 16-1. I'm usually good enough and hitting quick and/or evading that I can help start the pushback, but if I or another good player hadn't been subbed in, it could have been a spawn-camping wipeout.

It's worse because there seems to be so many more pre-mades on each side now, and they don't seem to face each other that often. So if you're a newer or more casual player you've got a good chace to get completely rolled.

In most unbalanced matches I have been in the winning side doesn't actively try to spawn camp because it's not necessary. They sit back with their mines and gunships and grabbing power-ups and destroy the enemies as they come into range a few at a time while they themselves get to sit in a clump of 6-10. The problem has been, is, and will continue to be the matchmaking.

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
03.27.2014 , 01:32 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Vid-szhite View Post
And as long as your whole team isn't new players and the whole other team isn't pros, TDM doesn't get so unbalanced that you die as you spawn.
I don't know what server you play on but that is exactly the situation on mine 90% of the time. You are talking teams with overwhelmingly new players who are getting farmed by the opposing side.

Quote:
It only takes one good player to break a spawn camp - pressure people into running or chasing, and they scatter.
And that's where your argument just falls apart. 1 good player might be able to break up the spawncamp of lousy players but 3 good players against 1 = quick win for the 3.

Vid-szhite's Avatar


Vid-szhite
03.27.2014 , 03:41 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
And that's where your argument just falls apart. 1 good player might be able to break up the spawncamp of lousy players but 3 good players against 1 = quick win for the 3.
Not if you know how to dogfight in a scout. You can drag out an engagement for several minutes without dying even if all pilots are equally skilled because of how nimble scouts are. If they chase, your spawn is clear. If they don't, they'll pay for it in blood when you turn back around and strafe their bomber.
Jedi Covenant
Wrector - 55 Sith Juggernaut // Reaper-seven - 55 Operative
…ikko - 55 Powertech // Palpi - 40 Sith Sorcerer

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
03.27.2014 , 04:29 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Vid-szhite View Post
Not if you know how to dogfight in a scout. You can drag out an engagement for several minutes without dying even if all pilots are equally skilled because of how nimble scouts are. If they chase, your spawn is clear. If they don't, they'll pay for it in blood when you turn back around and strafe their bomber.
Its a bad spawncamp then. The mines/drones or gunships will take you down in one with any coordination.

EndoplasmicChaos's Avatar


EndoplasmicChaos
03.30.2014 , 07:18 PM | #47
Since cap ships lost their guns, Ive seen far more cases of spawn camping than I ever saw of the " get slight lead and hide by cap ships" strategy. Could just be luck of the draw or the servers I play on (shrug). However, what I am seeing now is an increase in players who, when on the wrong side of a face stomp, will intentionally self destruct as fast as possible and as many times as possible. Seems the motive behind this is to end match as soon as possible while denying the other team extra kills. I was also in a match where the other team was losing badly and all but one or two of them simply quit re spawning. That sucked. Hard to earn req. or "contribute" when there's nothing to shoot at.
Of course I can call these behaviors poor sportsmanship and get angry about them, but like everyone else who's played GSF for any amount of time, I've been on the receiving end of more than a few face stomps as well. And I understand that it isn't fun, nor do I see much opportunity to "learn to play" when your spawning into instant never ending missile locks, mines, drones, GS fire, etc. (spawn ding ding ding boom dead. spawn ding ding ding boom dead). And yes I know enough to change spawn points, but that doesn't always help if the other team is serious about their camping and puts a bomber or two on each cap ship. Especially if those bombers have any kind of support from GS, scout, etc. I also know that not all spawn camping is intentional or malicious. More than once Ive gotten caught up in the heat of the moment chasing another ship, lost track of where I was, other ship dies, I hit tab looking for next target, chase them, they die, I hit tab...WTH? where'd their cap ship come from??? Same thing used to get me blown into little itty bitty pieces when cap ships had guns. I didn't like getting one shotted by turrets, but figured it was my fault for being dumb enough to get too close in the first place.
Don't like it, but expect I'll see more and more of these "unsportsmanlike behaviors" until something is done to deter/reduce the amount of spawn camping. There's no shortage of good suggestions on the forums, but until they're implemented (shrug).

Desrool's Avatar


Desrool
04.12.2014 , 03:04 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Zohkar View Post
Going to have to say not much of a improvement. Never seen people running back to the ship in TDM matchs to maintain a lead, but now the team that is dominate in pushing the opponent back to there capital ship is setting up killing fields that destroy opponents before they have a chance to even completely load after a re-spawn. Now your seeing bombers dropping there payloads on the three locations and gunships and strike fighters dropping there arsnels onto what ever managed to survive. All thats changed basically is insteead of those teams staying 15k out from capital ships allowing some ability for the team to push out to just into space to never leave.
That was exactly my point when I found out capitol ship turrets were being removed. Yes, they were protecting spawns and being used as a crutch for the less skilled players, but that's what I was afraid of. As soon as you spawn BOOM you're gone.

SammyGStatus's Avatar


SammyGStatus
04.12.2014 , 04:31 PM | #49
I dislike it becayse ny KD gets savaged when I have a team of noobs who won't listen. If they are costing me the match, AND my KD, it's alittle frustrating not being able to retreat
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

-Streven-'s Avatar


-Streven-
04.12.2014 , 04:46 PM | #50
I think I've spawned in to a mine once since the change and so I switched spawns. Wasn't that hard. I love the gameplay now withot the turrets. Seems much more dynamic and less campy. Allowing gunships to run to the protection of AI turrets was infinitely more annoying than being harassed at your spawn. If you are so bad that you can't figure out how to build a fast evasive scout which can easily get away from the spawn you deserve to be clubbed like a baby seal.

Learning how to avoid taking damage is the first skill a pilot should learn. A scout with distortion field, barrel roll and booster recharge can lead several ships on a wild goose chase for half a match with only moderate piloting skills.
Ben-sindu Harbinger