Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

TDM much improved by removal of capital ship turrets

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
TDM much improved by removal of capital ship turrets

headslinger
02.28.2014 , 11:54 AM | #21
If they want to end this discussion and truly fix TDM then they need to go to complete random spawn points. Since your removing capital turrets, there is no point in having a singular spawn point to be camped. In this regard players are scattered all over the map, with not one place you can camp. Server simply detects enemy presence and spawns you away from the enemy, thus allowing you a fighting chance. As it is right now, I am done with starfighter. I didn't care if the other team wanted to camp at the capital ship usually the side that was winning, was up on points and wasn't needing to get cheap kills. And if your dumb enough to fly into the range of the cap ships guns thats your fault. But removing them entirely is just stupidity. Never had that problem with Star trek online. maybe they need to look there for ideas. BTW if you haven't notice ALOT of people have fled this game. With ESO coming out, it will lose more. But I beta tested ESO and it's sad, but its nothing but same storylines of the original game, so I think many will be back or move on to other games. Removing the capital ship guns simply took out 1 problem and created a bigger one, and was not a solution. OP is delusional to think this is an improvement.

Gandrake
03.25.2014 , 08:56 AM | #22
The way I see it...

Having turrets turned on allows a strategy for teams that are not as powerful as the other team. I played a game the other night and the enemy just sat over the capital ships and killed us every time we spawned. It was the first time I hated GS

Verain
03.25.2014 , 09:46 AM | #23
Holy necro, batman!

I guess it's only a month old, and still topical. It's still this patch after all.

I was very very afraid it would wreck stuff. It did wreck one-sided games- if you get into a game where the enemy team is aces, you will get farmed to your ship, and if one of them is a razorwire, you could even spawn in mines.

But it also got rid of the very frustrating game where the enemy team was all over their cap ship and your pugs wandered in to feed them. That is deleted entirely. It also got rid of the deviant game where a full premade could get some kills and then, if up against another premade, sit on cap until time expiration- a very rarely seen strat, but a disturbing one nonetheless.

However, camping is a real thing now, and the fact that not everyone still knows how to change their spawn point is sad. Not sad enough to not mine their spawn, but still sad.

I'd say it was overall a successful change. I would prefer they had done something else, but it did improve the game for sure.

Nemarus
03.25.2014 , 10:18 AM | #24
I think if they just made it so spawn location was random (unless you explicitly select one), things would be much improved. Or better yet, have the game do some calculation and pre-select the spawn that is farthest from enemy. The pilot could always override it, but at least ignorant new players wouldn't just keep spawning into death.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

OscarDivine
03.25.2014 , 11:36 AM | #25
What's that smell? It's 1 month old thread. That's what it is.

Mmmmmm Necro.

General_Brass
03.25.2014 , 12:18 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LegoUniverseBC View Post
You're kidding right? The fights are at the capital ships now.
I don't know what server you're playing on...
I have to echo this. It winds up being the organized team spawncamps the middle spawn point and the pug or non voice com team gets divided

Vid-szhite
03.26.2014 , 01:47 PM | #27
If you get spawncamped, cap ship turrets aren't gonna save you. Spawn camping happened before this patch. On JC I have yet to see spawn camping post patch. You can't fix bads with game mechanics, sad to say, so if cap ships were your only solace, the pilots on your server must be godawful.

ptwonline
03.26.2014 , 02:02 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Vid-szhite View Post
If you get spawncamped, cap ship turrets aren't gonna save you. Spawn camping happened before this patch. On JC I have yet to see spawn camping post patch. You can't fix bads with game mechanics, sad to say, so if cap ships were your only solace, the pilots on your server must be godawful.
When one side has the advantage, it tends to get more lopsided because pilots on the other side stop playing or stop queueing as much. So when you have a good pilot or two you can still get demolished because you don't have that solid middle class of pilots to fill the ranks with competent fliers.

What the turrets did is to give the newer players a feeling like they had a refuge where they could recover and not be overwhelmed/farmed so easily, and get their bearings to counterattack.

Zoom_VI
03.26.2014 , 02:06 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Every single person who whines about gunships and bombers is someone who plays nothing but scout because it's the easiest ship to get kills with but has little to no defense against these craft, so they do nothing but cry in every thread.

I'm a mediocre pilot with a non-mastered Pike and I take on 2 gunship teams on a regular basis, easily and you're telling me 4 can't do anything? Uhuh, yeah, how bout them facts? By the way, these same people would demolish you just as easily 15k away so being at your spawn is completely and utterly irrelevant. Your team obviously didn't pose any challenge at all or you wouldn't be at your spawn so tell me, how is it different from getting demolished in the middle? It isn't.

The only difference since patch is that you can no longer get kills the only way you previously could, by boosting to the cap ship and hope it kills something. Must be so tragic when you have to actually learn how to fight.
Where did the bad scout touch you in 2.5?
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

SammyGStatus
03.26.2014 , 02:10 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by zoom_vi View Post
where did the bad scout touch you in 2.5?
lmfao!!!
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status