Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Inquisitor story better than consular?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Inquisitor story better than consular?!

Limosis
02.26.2014 , 07:01 PM | #1
Why do people say the inquisitor story is good, and the consular is the worst? I've made both an assassin and shadow, and i don't think I've experienced a more bland story than the inquisitor one.

Inquisitor Spoilers....
I played the inquisitor up to when zash betrays you and gets trapped in khem. But artefact collecting? People enjoy that?! If it weren't for being able to kill sith lords as part of the power struggle within the ranks, i would've dropped the character sooner, but that doesn't happen nearly as much as it should.

I made a shadow because of how boring the inquisitor was, even though i made the assassin fearing how boring the consular was said to be, and the first planet was boring as sin. But after about half way through coruscant, i found it really engaging, and by nar shadarr, you actually feel like a jedi and I'm finding myself getting right into it...

Inquisitor is the most underwhelming story so far, and I've played the bounty hunter and trooper stories. Both of which have commonly referred to as boring)

Khevar
02.26.2014 , 07:24 PM | #2
Have you yet played the Inq story past Zash -> Khem?

It gets plenty better.

SandsOfArrakis
02.27.2014 , 12:54 AM | #3
It does get a lot better. Keep going.

I've finished all class stories, except Trooper. My Trooper is up to the Voss class quests but since she is only level 43 a bit too low level

Inquisitor I find one of the better ones. I find it especially rewarding playing it through it as a LS Sith.
Írulan (Sage) ~ Jeannedarc (Shadow) ~ Sihaya (Scoundrel) ~ Elysaine (Sentinel)
Rhíannon (Sorc) ~ Gaeriel (Merc) ~ Ìrulan (Mara) ~ Aurorâ (Op) ~ Samus-Aran (PT)
The Corrino Legacy Server: The Red Eclipse

Xienive
02.27.2014 , 12:17 PM | #4
Personally I think Consular is better. The Inq story is about being taken advantage of, then trying to get your way out of it more than once until you have climbed the ranks until people can't take advantage of you any more.

The best force user story is the Sith Warrior.
No disintegrations!
As you wish...

Master-Nala
02.27.2014 , 04:58 PM | #5
Both stories are OK, but the Consular story picks up considerably in Act II. Act III is solid for both classes. Most people who complain about the Consular story don't really want to play the selfless, contemplative character that is the Consular. There's nothing wrong with that, but they then go on to conflate their distaste into a perception that there is something wrong with the story.
My 60s:Alana-Balance, Myschal-Ruffian, Vodoun-Vengeance, Alan-Medic, Ztephanie-Hatred, Curiosi-Marksman, Angiola-Concen., Chisami-Arsenal, Rickta-K. Combat, Mioni - Seer, Vesnas-Tactics, Psionicist-TK Sinbad-Sawbones, Arbaaz-Serenity, Nal'aa-Infiltration

Mistress_Ivi
03.02.2014 , 12:27 AM | #6
If you play them by their 'arc types' I can promise you this, don't.

If you enjoy miss pysco witch of the Inq line - go for it. It'll be amusing, because EVERY problem can be solved by zapping it with lightning or some other force related attack.

The fun comes when you play against that. Lightside Inq is more interesting, has a few different options and ultimately if you dislike Khem and never use him... things become better for it.

I totally did not however, enjoy the NUN style Jedi Counsular line when playing good. I've not had much chance to play on my Evil one... but she's querky! I feel being a total witch counsular is going to be way more rewarding.

But at the end of the day. It is up to you, the player, the story follower / reader / whatever actually fits; if you enjoy one plot over another. It's just a pity so much money was used on the storylines... and they end once 50. The Makeb content see's new voice actors (inq at least) and a merged plot, it loses the fun of the storyline for me.

I'll make one recommendation. Play against the norm. The plots improve for it.
Former SWG Player and Bloody Proud of it!

Heith
03.03.2014 , 12:13 PM | #7
i didnt like the inquisitor story. the ghsot busting and being stuck as darth nox kinda made me play like i was playing a prefabricated player rather than my own character. i do, however, like the consular story. its not the best, but its not the worst (inquisitor) either.

DomiSotto
03.04.2014 , 09:33 AM | #8
What I do not like about Consular story so far in Act I is the lack of suspense (because we are not going to have character off'd) so the self-sacrifice is not as poignant as it should be. Now, if that story was presented to me in the end of the game, with one of the outcomes that the class story ends in character death indeed (and some sort of game techniques transfer to play End Game allowing a different character to take on the deceased Jedi's achievements for those players who want End Game Play at a penalty...), I would be all over it. Say, a sacrifice that nets some awesome Legacy, and survival that keeps your awesome character intact... The rewards and punishments of such choices will actually be much more real and investment into the character... yay!

FabulousDoctor
03.09.2014 , 07:07 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
What I do not like about Consular story so far in Act I is the lack of suspense (because we are not going to have character off'd) so the self-sacrifice is not as poignant as it should be. Now, if that story was presented to me in the end of the game, with one of the outcomes that the class story ends in character death indeed (and some sort of game techniques transfer to play End Game allowing a different character to take on the deceased Jedi's achievements for those players who want End Game Play at a penalty...), I would be all over it. Say, a sacrifice that nets some awesome Legacy, and survival that keeps your awesome character intact... The rewards and punishments of such choices will actually be much more real and investment into the character... yay!
In the original beta version of the game, choosing the lightside option applied a debuff on you that stacked each time (but was only active inside Consular only areas). I believe each debuff gave a 15-25% buff to all damage done to you. This made it almost impossible to play a purely lightside consular, without having a friend come and basically run missions for you, as by the end of chapter 1 you would be taking almost twice as much damage as you should be, and neither Consular AC's are really not-squishy, even tank-Shadows were (at the time) so based on shield procs that a bad big hit could wipe them out.

The debuff was cleared in Chapter 2, IIRC, but it was still considered to be too harsh, and removed, much like the ability to kill or refuse companions (because people playing imperial agents would kill Kaliyo and then not be able to do much on Dromund Kaas -> alderaan, because the game was designed for a companion to be with you)

eldefail
03.17.2014 , 05:49 PM | #10
Depending on who you ask, ANY story is better than the consular. There are a number of reasons for this, the two most commonly cited I've encountered are:

1.) Distinct lack of epicness in the consular story. I've only played up to the very beginning of act 3, but I have to admit there's a notable lack of "epic" in the story. It's more subtle and behind-the-scenes. The other stories I've played have set you up from the beginning as some accidental hero pre-destined for greatness. Then there's the consular who just wants to cure her master who has fallen ill. Despite the fact that the consular gets swept up into something far bigger, the only people who are really aware of this is the jedi council, the consular, and the handful of sith involved. You don't appear on the galactic radar as a person of interest, racking up fame and infamy. By the end of act 1 and well into act 2 you're the unsung hero working behind the scenes. It just isn't epic enough for some people.

2.) Continuity errors. Try playing a dark side consular. Eugh. Most of your dark side choices not only have no consequences, they aren't even acknowledged in any way, shape, or form because the story was never FINISHED. It lacks polish. It lacks finesse. Worse, it not only pigeonholes you into some slot on the light side spectrum, many of the light side choices are laughable, childish, and frequently put your mission in jeopardy. I'm looking at you, Balmorra. It's like Bioware couldn't decide how they wanted to describe light side and dark side with this story. "There is no emotion, there is peace." Unless you're a pure light side consular, in which case you're a slave to your emotions but somehow NOT dark side.

I personally LOVE the Consular story, but I can definitely see why it's not for everyone. I honestly think of Bioware would just go through and fix the continuity errors and rearrange some of the light side/dark side/neutral choices a little more consistent with other class stories instead of ramming some sort of inconsistent code of morality that somehow trumps the jedi code when it comes to decision making and conduct I think it would be more enjoyable to more people.