Capes & Robes Clipping Through Speeders

Himuki

PLEASE FIX THIS!! C'mon guys... I quit playing 2 years ago and it bothered me back then, to recently come back and find this issue IS STILL THERE..!?^#%^@*

http://imgur.com/O1DNlUm

http://imgur.com/W7owLNh

As someone who doesn't understand the first thing about coding, perhaps I'm speaking out of turn...but how friggin' hard is it to clean that up? It looks terrible! It's strange you place so much emphasis upon a variety of mounts, but haven't bothered to fix a "major" graphical issue related to them.

To be perfectly honest, it's pretty immersion breaking for me because I'm anal as hell and can't stand robes clipping through the bottom of speeders like Korrealis Duke, or any sitting mount for that matter, effectively limiting the number of mounts I enjoy using. Am I alone in this sentiment, or is this thread just going to get buried in the IDGAF pile and forgotten about? Who's with me on this?

Before you buy anything in this game (i.e. GTN, Cartel, fleet vendor): Do not just [control/ click] to preview it. Go to Google or whatever and read about clipping, cape issues, texture errors, body texture errors, etc. Most likely that item you're about to spend CC on, or 1.5 credits on has an issue. The preview window won't show it.

There are speeders that work correctly, however they may not be the ones you want. But yes, this is not going to be fixed. Move on sadly.

I won't buy a dewback because the character hovers over the seat; skimpy armor because the body texture is messed up; mounts because of the cape issue; pieces of armor due to clipping or texture errors; helmets/masks because of the missing voice modulator. The list grows with every patch or new CM item making it less and less likely these items will be fixed. Protect your money!

See you in ESO next month! :eek:

Before you buy anything in this game (i.e. GTN, Cartel, fleet vendor): Do not just [control/ click] to preview it. Go to Google or whatever and read about clipping, cape issues, texture errors, body texture errors, etc.

I have to say, that's good advice. I had to learn the hard way. And even then, anything can break at any time, like with the body texture bug, and stay broken who knows how long.

I won't buy a dewback because the character hovers over the seat; skimpy armor because the body texture is messed up; mounts because of the cape issue; pieces of armor due to clipping or texture errors; helmets/masks because of the missing voice modulator.

Yeah. I'm not opposed to the cash shop...I love being able to have a purple light saber crystal at level 10, etc. And if it supports the game, great.

But having a cash shop seems to add a heightened importance to quality control, because people are paying real money for specific items, as opposed to just access to the whole game in general.

The list grows with every patch or new CM item making it less and less likely these items will be fixed. Protect your money!

Exactly. Sure, even in the best case all cash shop stuff isn't going to be 100% bug free at all times. But it's really starting to seem like Bioware is in way over their heads.

From when the cartel market opened up until December, I had been buying coins pretty regularly. But I've stopped.

Before you buy anything in this game (i.e. GTN, Cartel, fleet vendor): Do not just [control/ click] to preview it. Go to Google or whatever and read about clipping, cape issues, texture errors, body texture errors, etc. Most likely that item you're about to spend CC on, or 1.5 credits on has an issue. The preview window won't show it.

There are speeders that work correctly, however they may not be the ones you want. But yes, this is not going to be fixed. Move on sadly.

I won't buy a dewback because the character hovers over the seat; skimpy armor because the body texture is messed up; mounts because of the cape issue; pieces of armor due to clipping or texture errors; helmets/masks because of the missing voice modulator. The list grows with every patch or new CM item making it less and less likely these items will be fixed. Protect your money!

See you in ESO next month! :eek:

It isn't really an issue of buying something and not realizing what I'm getting, I just feel it's a matter of developer laziness. The game has been out what? Almost 3 years? And they can't be bothered in that time to fix day 1 bugs? I don't care nearly as much about cartel packs as I do being able to play a stable game. It's a simple fix, there's really no excuse.

Capes have physics attached so they billow in the wind and/or get kicked by your heels when you run. They have a special animation when you bend down to pick up loot.

However, they haven't given capes any animation for sitting on a speeder, and I'm guessing it's because it's hard to realistically emulate how cloth folds when you sit on it like that. I think their options (based on what's possible to animate) are:

- let the cape pass through the speeder

- vanish the cape

They had the same choices for helmets and lekku, or helmets / armor and Wookies, Trandoshans, etc.

Some of the newer cartel armors have cloaks that aren't animated the same way. For example, the Cassus cloak appears to be a wood plank. So maybe they did lose some animation / collision talent.

Whatever the case, the number of visual and texture defects is increasing, and is more and more irritating.

Capes have physics attached so they billow in the wind and/or get kicked by your heels when you run. They have a special animation when you bend down to pick up loot.

However, they haven't given capes any animation for sitting on a speeder, and I'm guessing it's because it's hard to realistically emulate how cloth folds when you sit on it like that. I think their options (based on what's possible to animate) are:

- let the cape pass through the speeder

- vanish the cape

They had the same choices for helmets and lekku, or helmets / armor and Wookies, Trandoshans, etc.

Some of the newer cartel armors have cloaks that aren't animated the same way. For example, the Cassus cloak appears to be a wood plank. So maybe they did lose some animation / collision talent.

Whatever the case, the number of visual and texture defects is increasing, and is more and more irritating.

Yes, but if you observe mounts in dressing room, the physics appear normal so capes and robes conform to the body instead of clipping through the speeder. Logic would dictate that if they work in dressing room, why not the actual game as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I made a post about this a month or so ago, got buried.

The clipping is very annoying, however I would be happy if the preview button showed the clipping versus not clipping.

The preview button is essentially false advertising. If I want to spend a bunch of CC on something and the preview button shows this "aesthetic" item working as intended then I get it and it doesn't can I get a refund?

Unfortunately, I already know the answer to that.

I'd like to have a weapon that looks like a broom, so that when I holster it on my back and get on the speeder (the lucky one they just added, too), at least it looks like I'm doing a service to society by sweeping the path.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone come across a list of speeders that look decent with cloaks? I know the stand up open backed ones are the safest bet but are there any others?

No seated speeders work with cloaks/long coats, they all glitch. Your only option is to use the speeders you stand up on. Personally I chose not to wear anything with cloaks, coats or skirts, that way I avoid the glitching. It is a shame, as there are some nice outfits that I simply refuse to wear due to this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd just like to bump this up, and add my disappointment at the lack of resolution for this issue. As has been stated a thousand times over, this is an issue that has been present from day one. A huge percentage of the player base has vocalized their desire for this to be a priority fix. There has been little to no developer response on the issue, which leaves many in the player base frustrated, as they keep coming back to the issue, hoping it will be fixed/addressed, and not knowing whether it ever "will" be, because there isn't even a response on behalf of the development team.

I think a huge step forward for this would be to get some closure; people (myself included) would be much happier if we heard whether or not this issue will be addressed, and if not, a bit of insight into the "why".

Cheers.:cool:

Check this out:

this is our current list of high priority in-game known issues.

[...]

•Robes clip through vehicles and creature mounts.

(From http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=733212, updated May 9)

That's the list of issues that they're really serious about fixing, apparently.

So...that's a hopeful sign. The first time I saw this bug I couldn't believe how bad it looked.

Edited by Clarian

Holy crumbs, did this really make the high priority bug list? As in, they might actually fix this? :eek: This has bugged me since launch and I'd pretty much given up hope, but I would be so happy it if this was fixed. And probably rather broke, lol. There are quite a few mounts and chest pieces that I'd love to get for my characters, but have avoided due to the clipping driving me nuts. How wonderful it would be not to have to worry about "coordinating" my mount with my outfit!

Then again, Vector's outfit/skin texture issue is also on that list and that has also been around forever and is rather ridiculous (he's human, for goodness sake!), so I won't be breaking out the ol' wallet just yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Check this out:

(From http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=733212, updated May 9)

That's the list of issues that they're really serious about fixing, apparently.

So...that's a hopeful sign. The first time I saw this bug I couldn't believe how bad it looked.

I truly hope this is really on the high priority bug list. I know it's NOT a simple issue to fix as many people seem to think it is, but if it is getting attention that would be great.

I'm on the "been bugging me since the beginning" list - I would love to see this fixed. Its extremely immersion breaking.

• 3 months later...

If you won't fix the clipping, at least add more cape-able (see what I did there?) speeders, like the Longspurs and Gurians. There is no clipping because there's nothing below or behind you.

The current selection of speeders like this is pretty bad when compared to some other types of speeders.

It's not a solution to the problem, but it would certainly make at least 1 customer happy :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Lol after all those years no fix... sorry for the necro but this is annoying that it has not been addressed after all this time. So many Cartel Market Items suffer from clipping, they clip through mounts, and get stuck through the character

No worries brother. I'm still here, almost 7 years later, with a lot of core issues not addressed.