Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which class would you play?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which class would you play?

MustangCzar
02.25.2014 , 08:11 PM | #1
With my friends getting into swtor, I'd like to start a new character and play with them. My friends are playing a marauder, a powertech (dps), an operative (heals). What would you guys play in this situation? Is a tank really necessary? Or would you play another dps/healer class? What would you dO?

LouLouJ
02.26.2014 , 11:46 AM | #2
Are you going to be leveling together? How so?

If you want to do groups; heroics, flashpoints, or ranked warzones then yes a tank is absolutely needed.
If you're only doing single-player quests or GSF then no.
I'd suggest a tank assassin, the double stealth/cc's will help group movement and you'll have one of each class, so there won't be any arguments over item-rolls.
Of course if you're working together you can pitch in to buy a tank-set of gear for the power-tech so he/she can re-spec and re-gear when a tank is needed.

teclado
02.26.2014 , 01:14 PM | #3
I'd go assassin, juggernaut, or powertech. Level as a dps, but that gives you the option of going tank at endgame. Although assassin dps at endgame is not stellar for PVE, but it is excellent for PVP.

If you want to have your own flashpoint group at endgame, you're going to need a tank. If you are mainly interested in PVE and you go assassin, that would pretty much lock you into being the tank. Then again, I'm not sure that powertech dps is the best choice for endgame PVE, so maybe your buddy would be interested in tanking? That would free up you to go with a more pure dps class.

The bottom line: if you want to do PVE stuff with the four of you, it's a lot easier if one of you is a tank. If nobody wants to tank, you can probably get by without one for all but HM flashpoints at endgame. Lower level heroics and flashpoints are probably doable without one.
FoTMЯUs
Parsifal - 60 Shadow, Lycone - 60 Vanguard, Jerron - 57 Guardian

The Harbinger

MustangCzar
02.26.2014 , 09:58 PM | #4
Thanks for the reply. I believe I'm going to make an assassin tank. Since we have one of each base class I think i'll just make an inquisitor to keep that going.