Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.6.1 and no bomber nerfs/fixes?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
2.6.1 and no bomber nerfs/fixes?!

Armonddd
02.25.2014 , 06:11 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post
You picked a primary weapon that is moderately useful from 501-3000, absurdly powerful at 1-500, and a gnat at 3001-4000. You get what you pay for. This is also why you are allowed to take up to 5 ships with you to choose from.
Your numbers are a bit off, but more importantly I'd like to remind you that most players don't have that luxury. I'm not sure if that's what we should be balanced around (actually, given the lack of ranking at all, I'm not sure what's we should be balancing around at all), but there it is.

Quote:
Intellectually dishonest, and you know it. I could let my step-son play any of my bombers and even stand behind him telling him what to do, you'd kill him way more often than not. And that would be you playing paper and him playing scissors and you winning frequently, if not all the time.
As I said in that other thread, skill generally beats out the rock-paper-scissors nature of class warfare. But, again like in that thread, we're comparing vast differences in skill. I don't think that's appropriate.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Zoom_VI
02.25.2014 , 06:16 PM | #22
[/i]You picked a primary weapon that is moderately useful from 501-3000, absurdly powerful at 1-500, and a gnat at 3001-4000. You get what you pay for. This is also why you are allowed to take up to 5 ships with you to choose from.
You want to know what class doesn't have to make compromises in? Gunships. Like really a BLC/slug/ion/Barrel/Dfield build is optimal in every single possible situation a gunship can find themselves in. So don't give that total BS about "you picked it"
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

FridgeLM
02.25.2014 , 06:20 PM | #23
If battle scouts are one thing, it's prolific on the forums.
<Death and Taxes>

Armonddd
02.25.2014 , 06:26 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by FridgeLM View Post
If battle scouts are one thing, it's prolific on the forums.
If you want to discuss potential nerfs, I'm all ears. I've already suggested reducing the minor components available to three slots per ship, and increasing BLCs to 100 RPMS (though that one might not have made it from my fingers to the forums yet). Just keep in mind that any changes we suggest need to maintain relative power levels with the other classes in the game, which now includes bombers and even more versatile strikes as well as gunships.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

FridgeLM
02.25.2014 , 06:29 PM | #25
My potential fix for the game?

All armor penetration needs a revamp. Across the board.

Every single thing that gives arpen is 100%. This makes deflection armor, and other upgrades like it that give damage reduction, effectively useless, because all of the most egregious damage dealers (including BLCs) have 100% arpen and completely nullify those upgrades.

Arpen should never exceed 50% imo.
<Death and Taxes>

DroidDreamer
02.25.2014 , 06:36 PM | #26
Not sure why we're talking scout vs. bomber. If you're in a scout, you should be killing gunships or chasing them away. Rolling into a well-guarded node with three defense turrets up plus and entrenched bomber is just dumb for a scout, especially one with the shortest range weapon in the game.

Now a bomber on the way to the node or away from his nest... easy pickin's.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

Armonddd
02.25.2014 , 08:55 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DroidDreamer View Post
Not sure why we're talking scout vs. bomber. If you're in a scout, you should be killing gunships or chasing them away. Rolling into a well-guarded node with three defense turrets up plus and entrenched bomber is just dumb for a scout, especially one with the shortest range weapon in the game.

Now a bomber on the way to the node or away from his nest... easy pickin's.
Ideally, yeah. But when my team is huddling on the one point we own and refuses to get off, well, someone's got to take matters into their own hands.

Zharik
02.25.2014 , 09:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Ideally, yeah. But when my team is huddling on the one point we own and refuses to get off, well, someone's got to take matters into their own hands.
Yeah I can understand that being frustrating, but is that the fault of a game mechanic? Actually, maybe now that people see that time on a satellite = more req (defense points) they're not willing to lose those "guaranteed rewards" for a possible win.

What if defense points were halved for a loss? That would reward defenders who stuck to their satellites when the team needed them to, and not reward people as much for "accepting a loss" and just trying for a few extra reqs for the last half of a match.
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)

Deimos_Olympian
02.25.2014 , 09:05 PM | #29
Bombers are in no way OP, sadly its mostly inexperienced pilots who aren't using their ships and the available pieces to their best use. Gear your scout or strike correctly and you will be erasing bombers as easy as a defensive turret.
Drones and mine or easy enough to kill only takes like two to 4 shots with a lasercannons

Armonddd
02.25.2014 , 09:13 PM | #30
Yeah I can understand that being frustrating, but is that the fault of a game mechanic?
Well, the problem is that instead of GSF being a team game, GSF is a game played by teams of solo players. The difference is that a single player can get a kill fairly easily. In "real" team games, you run up into 4v4 and 6v6 and 8v8 confrontations, and if you want people to split off to handle another objective, you think hard about it because that means fewer people contributing to your killing power at the primary objective. That's simply not a thing in GSF, because we don't need six of our eight team members contributing to one kill (with the other two spending that time making sure your guys aren't dying before the spike goes through).

Because each player has a lot of relative power, organization isn't necessary. Because organization isn't necessary, organization isn't expected. Because organization isn't expected, rallying forces is more difficult. Because rallying forces is more difficult, solo players (particularly over-cocky aces like myself) train to defeat threats on their own. Because relative power is so high, it usually works. When something acts as a complete shutdown to that solo player, it's incredibly frustrating because it feels like the game works one way until this guy mashes his buttons and gimps you. When that frustration kicks in, coordination with pugs tends to (in my experience) not come to mind very easily.

I'm trying not to turn this into "I should be able to kill anyone and anything because buff me please", but I really think that the way the game is set up right now, a sufficiently skilled player should be able to take a build that works well and that he enjoys playing and run it to great success in any situation. If he can't make it work in a certain situation, it should be his own fault for not being skilled enough (or for flying against opponents more skilled than him). Blowing up because bombers right click in his general vicinity while doing circles around satellites does not feel like I'm losing because I'm not doing things right or because I'm being outplayed, it feels like I'm losing because the game decided to take a dump on me.

And you know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my idea of rewards for skilled play isn't appropriate for the game for some reason or other. Maybe I'm just handling bombers badly because I'm not actually learning how to fight them. Maybe some of my previous posts have been garbage, too. I've spent a fair amount of today being upset at various things, including BioWare for kicking me from matches, so maybe I've been letting my fingers run before my brain. Feel free to call me out on it.