Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strike on the capital ships: Double edged sword?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Strike on the capital ships: Double edged sword?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Fractalsponge
02.25.2014 , 10:21 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
AS LONG as players are smart enough to not spawn next to the enemy swarm. If players aren't smart enough to do so, then they can't be helped.
I love the expectation that the average pug that was dumb enough to get killed by a turret is also somehow smart enough to vary spawn locations. I think you have too much faith in the average GSF player.

Brewski
02.25.2014 , 10:47 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisSchmidt View Post
I just wanted to add that a third spawn point has also been added for each team in Team Deathmatch mode.
Thanks for the update Chris. I do believe this will make it harder to spawn camp, and nigh unto impossible to get a "spawn lock" on a team before a match ends. (You are, after all, limited to 50 kills per TDM.)

That said, it most definitely will not prevent spawn camping. A common tactic lately has been for a team to create a defensive ball using bombers, with gunships inside picking people off that come to close. There's no penalty for doing so over your enemies capital ship in TDM, and as an added bonus you will get insta-kills on newer pilots who don't know to spawn at a separate location when one is camped.

Although three spawn points will limit camping a bit, it won't prevent it. With that in mind, can you tell us if this is considered more of an interim solution as opposed to a permanent fix? As many other have pointed out in this thread (as well as others), a better long term solution to the issues turrets cause would be either to have the spawn areas be exhaustion zones (with a timer for recently spawned players) or something akin to the ground PvP game where once you leave a spawn area you cannot return to it.

I'd definitely understand if this is a quick fix to patch the problem while a permanent fix is coded and tested. If that's the case, I think saying so would ease a lot of the concerns on the forums here. (Or at least it would ease mine.)

SammyGStatus
02.25.2014 , 01:10 PM | #33
If I'm in a PUG, you better believe I'm running away. Maybe not to the capitol ship initially, but if my team is garbage, I'm not going to sacrifice my KD to "play nice" to my opposition. If I'm in a premade, which is occuring more and more as the GSF community develops, then I'll fly to my buddies and have them take the annoying scout off of me (Or Alex or Tsukoyomi or Hairless). But if it's early and no one's on and my team is comprised of my GS and a bunch of two-ship players, I'm fleeing (far away first, and to my capitol ship second). You don't have to follow, so go pick off the noobs
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Nefastuss
02.25.2014 , 01:37 PM | #34
Pretty ****** change. Now we are fighting around the capital ships instead the battlefield. Who was the genious that came out with this idea?

Zharik
02.25.2014 , 01:52 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Nefastuss View Post
Pretty ****** change. Now we are fighting around the capital ships instead the battlefield. Who was the genious that came out with this idea?
And the location difference is... what to the end result? It is still ship v ship PvP not NPC gotcha.
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)

Armonddd
02.25.2014 , 02:21 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post
And the location difference is... what to the end result? It is still ship v ship PvP not NPC gotcha.
Increased relative time on respawn screens is unfun.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

DroidDreamer
02.25.2014 , 02:36 PM | #37
Most of the discussion of this change has been around lopsided matches. I'm predicting spawn griefing during even matches too. With no protective area to spawn into, players will be ambushed as soon as they spawn regardless of how the match is going elsewhere. While this eventuality is diminished by the addition of a spawn point, people spawning in in onesies and twosies will be picked off by dedicated spawn campers.

Spawn griefing is universally loathed and bad game design no matter what game or genre of game you play. Modern games, including SWTOR (up until now), have included elements to allow players to load back in, get oriented and jump into the fight, instead of being insta-gibbed or jumped as soon as they load in.

This "fix" is bad game design.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

king_nile
02.26.2014 , 01:18 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisSchmidt View Post
I just wanted to add that a third spawn point has also been added for each team in Team Deathmatch mode.
What's to stop the other team from laying a minefield right on top of each spawn point? That doesn't give the spawning player much time to react IMO
The Baratheon Legacy @ The Bastion, Subscriber Referral CLICK HERE
Quote:
"You've never known real rage until you've been lectured on controlling your emotions by a four-year old in a robe."
- Guss Tuno

Lytewraith
02.26.2014 , 03:06 AM | #39
well that goes back to the question of do they relize the red dot on the mini map is a enemy and if there is 8 there don't spawn go to where you see clear skies like a dom match you see 8 ships at one point why would you go there by your self or even 2 vrs8 is not a great idea 99.9% of the pilots are not luke doing a womp rat run
I'll admit ill go head on into 4 on a control point because 90% of the time they don't have a clue on how to dfnd it which is a big problem atm grante ship upgades are nice but not match defineing unless it is pro's vrs pro's you can do just as good in a baby ship which may take a sec and a hafe longer to kill that mastered ship but it can be done

they just do not use there heads and honestly there is nothing any of us can do to change that other the sitting still in to center of the math and just let them shoot us for 10 mins before we turn on our guns and clean house

our guild has come to the point of just takeing 1 point off the start and letting the enemy have the other two and letting tem get qite a bit ahead before we attack and then we wont even take it all we will take out the turrets and neturell it and let them have it back so we can get mor caps in

but newbs learn to use your heads up display and your mini maps and your proper spawn points

Ravenschild
02.26.2014 , 04:13 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by FixerFortyKay View Post
I'd just like to inform everyone that although the Republic operators may be on strike, the Imperial operators will not be firing because "they failed for the last time."

We are currently in the midst of training replacements.
Jellico...this was epic
If you get hurt,hurt them back.If you get killed,walk it off
Ravnn (Sniper) | Culainn (Commando) | Cintas (Mercenary)| Skaya (Sage)| Dar'gai (Gunslinger)| Gliocas (Sorcerer)| Murphys Law (Sorcerer
Ebon Hawk