Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Inflation - Value of $1m creds same month 2 years ago!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Inflation - Value of $1m creds same month 2 years ago!

MakuBenjami
02.24.2014 , 10:58 PM | #31
So what you guys are saying is that inflation is fairly flat though getting a fairly reliable measure would be kinda tough?
Jekk'Jekk Tarr Native and yes, as a Sage, I can Heal to Full!

CosmicKat
02.25.2014 , 12:52 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Yeah, I've seen that too. I've also seen the mid-level blue gear sold for prices way out of range of the typical new player.

Interestingly enough, I used to get into arguments in the Crew Skills forum with a particular poster who was convinced that was solely due to greed and avarice on the part of the crafter who was trying to do everything possible to rip everyone off. :/

My personal theory on the high prices of the blue / purple gear is that a) the new player can get along fine with mission rewards and planetary comms, and b) the alt-oholics (*wave*) have level 55s that can run dailies to fund them.

Heck, I remember seeing outrageous prices on blue gear on my first toon a couple years ago, which prompted me to level a cybertech who's sole purpose was to provide gear for my leveling alts.
Blue armoring, mods, and enhancements are pretty expensive to make. Very expensive if you buy the mats. It's not a money making operation till you have multiple alts to run missions and to gather. Even then, it's not going to get you into the millions without some major time invested.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

DarthTHC
02.25.2014 , 07:57 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by MakuBenjami View Post
So what you guys are saying is that inflation is fairly flat though getting a fairly reliable measure would be kinda tough?
We're saying it depends on the category of stuff.

Top-tier leveling gear is usually more expensive than new players (their first character) can afford. This is because there are a lot of players who have one or probably multiple 55's, with the resources of 55's, that will buy those overpriced top-tier leveling gear pieces for their alts. This is normal in every MMO that has ever existed.

Endgame consumables and augments are flat or decreasing in price.

Rare, desirable vanity items are expensive. Those that are no longer available because their Cartel Packs have been embargoed are very expensive.

The good news in this is that new players can still level just fine, thank you, by accepting quest rewards or even buying cheap green items from GTN. Endgame players can ensure they're properly geared and prepared for their endgame activities without (hopefully) doing an inordinate amount of work outside of endgame to support it. And people who like to buy packs off Cartel Market are often rewarded with a lot of credits.

Seems like a decent system, except maybe to players who want to have every rare thing right now, dammit, but can't for the life of themselves figure out how to get the credits to do that. (Hint: Don't buy expensive rare things and you'll probably have more credits. Neat how that works...)
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Cidanel
02.25.2014 , 09:14 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by MakuBenjami View Post
Again, inflation relative to what? Inflation is not an absolute measurement. What do you want to measure in-game credit inflation against? The US $? High end gear? Staple crafting materials?

Your question is extremely vague.

Kourage
02.25.2014 , 09:49 AM | #35
Doing dailies, looting mobs, etc is basically the game printing more money. The more people play, the more credits are introduced into the economy. Players quitting the game, but keeping their credits is sort of a way to take money out, but only if they don't come back or get their account hacked and credits sold. Money sinks are the way to bring down inflation. Repairs, expenses for removing mods or adding augment slots, and vendor sold items. If BioWare thinks there's too many credits floating around, they will slap an expensive mount or color crystal on a vendor like they have done before.

We don't know any of these total values. Only BioWare has them. At least they should since they have Streambase, but doesn't seem like they put it to use.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))