Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Inflation - Value of $1m creds same month 2 years ago!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Inflation - Value of $1m creds same month 2 years ago!

MakuBenjami
02.24.2014 , 02:23 AM | #1
Has anyone seen any graphs somewhere about inflation rates in any of the US servers?

I'm just curious to see if anyone's come up with a reasonable account of what the value of $1m credits back then (say exactly 2 years ago) as opposed to today.

?
Jekk'Jekk Tarr Native and yes, as a Sage, I can Heal to Full!

akabane_k
02.24.2014 , 03:17 AM | #2
pretty much impossible to calculate without some sort of item that has relatively constant demand and supply.

Shoraan
02.24.2014 , 03:55 AM | #3
You wouldn't just need a single item but a whole bunch of items and weigh them accordingly, e.g. necessary items should be weighed higher than pure luxury items. As far as I know many contries have several hundred items in a basket to monitor price development and inflation.

However, some items or services in this game have more or less constant prices:
- Repair costs stay the same (per gear tier at least)
- Travelling costs stay the same (but they are so low that nobody cares about them anyway)
- Costs for crafting materials stay the same (the mission costs are constant, per item level at least)
- Due to fixed costs for basic crafting materials the costs for stims/adrenals (which may be considered necessary equipment instead of luxury) stay more or less the same due to supply and demand balancing each other out fairly well. With no hard limit on the supply prices won't increase, since there will always be someone who is willing to craft and sell with even minimal profit (and some even at a loss).
- Because of the above, I assume that even top level crafted equipment (mods, hilts, barrels) have rather constant prices, because the supply for the materials is endless and can be purchased at constant prices.

Of course, compared to two years ago, the cost for the top level equipment has increased, because of a new gear tier and higher cost of level 9 and 10 materials compared to level 6 and 7.

Luxury items, however, are a completely different topic. Since credits are also limitless and can be generated much faster today than two years ago, people are able to spend much more on luxury items than they would have been back then. Unless we define a specific basket of items there is no point in trying to figure out how prices have changed.

Fidelicatessen
02.24.2014 , 04:07 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MakuBenjami View Post
Has anyone seen any graphs somewhere about inflation rates in any of the US servers?

I'm just curious to see if anyone's come up with a reasonable account of what the value of $1m credits back then (say exactly 2 years ago) as opposed to today.

?
This is an interesting question, but I'd phrase it differently.

What were gold sellers selling 1m credits for this time last year? Has the price gone up or down?

This is an interesting question because it will reveal how popular your game is becoming (or the reverse).

Infernixx
02.24.2014 , 07:39 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Fidelicatessen View Post
This is an interesting question, but I'd phrase it differently.

What were gold sellers selling 1m credits for this time last year? Has the price gone up or down?

This is an interesting question because it will reveal how popular your game is becoming (or the reverse).
Surprisingly, it varies, at least on JC. I've seen offers from $8.49 per mil down to $5.99 per mil.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

darkov
02.24.2014 , 08:21 AM | #6
Gold sellers won't help, they will vary their prices based on supply and demand, but you have no real idea of which of those factors is affecting the price.

In theory, $1m creds is worth significantly less today than it was at launch, simply because of dailies. You can make that much in a couple of hours from dailies without breaking a sweat today, but it took significantly longer back at launch.

Also, the Cartel Market has shifted the value of credits as well, two days after a new pack comes out and you will find the value of credits is quite low, with things selling for hundreds of thousands if not millions, when only a few days later they will sell for thousands or not at all.

I think the only thing that remains consistent in value these days is augment kits / augments.

OddballEasyEight
02.24.2014 , 09:10 AM | #7
Gold sellers is definately not a good measuring point since in SW:TOR you can pretty much earn in-game credits by buying things off the CM and selling them in-game.
This inherently lowers the value of any "gold seller" services and is also why you only see them on the starter planets more or less.
They try to snag the new and naive players that don't already know you can do this.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

dakyo
02.24.2014 , 09:17 AM | #8
After a long haitus (over a year) I came back to find the value of items still similar in respect to the amount of credits you can make. Of course daily/weekly mission money and time spent has increased but the inflated value still seems amazingly balanced.

Take a game like Diablo 3 for example (apples and pears I know) but the inflation in that game was beyond ridiculous thanks to bugs and glitches that the bots and gold farmers used to collect currency. So much so that it ruined the economy in a very short time.

In respect to SWTOR this currency seems very strong in it's variably static nature. Slight increases through the course of time but with appropriate sinks it has done very well for such a game type.
The Forthewin Legacy

AshlaBoga
02.24.2014 , 09:27 AM | #9
If we went by Credit Sellers then the price has dropped from $11 to $6 over the last year on Jung Ma.

Now if only we could get all those farmers banned, 99% of my ignore list is Bots.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Andryah
02.24.2014 , 09:47 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MakuBenjami View Post

?
Well, this is something that is really hard to measure objectively inside any MMO. Why? Because player tastes constantly change so the market prices on various items also change in step.

You would need a basket of commonly used commodities, across a range of player tastes, to even begin to measure and create an inflation index.

From my perspective, being someone who plays the GTN and therefore constantly tracks a basket of items for fair market pricing, there has been little real inflation in this game since launch. And for many items in the sub level cap part of the player economy, there has been deflation in many cases since launch.

Now...credit wallets have gotten deeper for many, but the items they spend on has not. There is always a basket of popular items for end gamers.. and that moves with each level cap increase. For the most part, the bulk of credit wealth is IMO, either retained by players (simply nothing to spend it on) or expended on high value end game items of one form or another.
I'm back..... in advance of KotFE.