Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preferred 2.6 MT and OT

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Preferred 2.6 MT and OT

vVvCheese
02.25.2014 , 07:44 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Rebel_Guy View Post
Shoulder cannon is very necessary for the opener and not a huge deal to go without the heals even for the whole fight. Overcharge saber is the best defensive cooldown an assassin has (you could argue in the game, but that'd be a different discussion) In no way are the two the same.

The point of the post was to show the viability of a powertech opening on a boss. Not develop the thread into a pissing contest. If you are going to treat it like that then there'd likely be a "what if" statement for everything else like standing in a red pool on bestia so you could use kolto overload and a medback for threat. Regardless this is where i'll choose it end this discussion...
This is far from a pissing contest (I've been tanking on my PT and my VG for weeks in prep for a few specific strategies NiM, and enjoying it quite a lot), it's a factual correction. I value Shoulder Cannon at least as much as I value my medpack or adrenal, probably more. Its primary use is absolutely not for threat, it's designed for healing as a tank. Treating it as anything else is purely to "show off" PT threat #s. Which is what I did with 11k of healing threat from a Sin. Medpac, Overcharge, and Shoulder Cannon are all on the same cooldown.

Don't be ridiculous and try to construct a strawman. I'm the first one to say that PTs are really good, particularly for progression on some fights (flat damage profile OP).
Tenebras
Pre 2.0 Warstalker, Pre 2.4 Dragonslayer/From Beyond
Conqueror of the Dread Fortress, Pre 2.8 Gate Crasher
Death and Taxes - Prophecy of the Five

KeyboardNinja
02.25.2014 , 10:07 PM | #32
I would argue that Shoulder Cannon is extremely valuable as a cooldown later on in the fight, but not early. Very few fights put you into dire, medpack-needing straights in the first 90 seconds. Some do, certainly, but very few. In the opener, the threat multiplier on Shoulder Cannon is extremely valuable. Do you need it to hold threat early on? Probably not, because taunting. Do you need it to put off the same TPS as the other tanks in their opener? Yes.

The real question is this: is the fight you're tanking a fight where you need a medpack in the first 90 seconds and you cannot taunt fluff as prolifically and your DPS cannot take it easy early on? If it's all of those things, then you have a problem. Most fights don't fall into all of those categories at once though (Thrasher at gear level is the only one I can think of), and so you have the freedom to choose whether to delay Shoulder Cannon (leaning more on taunt fluff and/or DPS being nice) or use it up front (sacrificing its use as a DCD for the subsequent 90 seconds).
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

JDotter
02.27.2014 , 04:40 AM | #33
Nearly every tank in Hatred (PT) uses attack-adrenals off the pull just too good with explosive fuel. I can tell the difference from having to cycle taunts & doing that start with aggro, either is fine just why not maximize dps with what you are given.

I personally use shoulder cannon asap too.

Leafy_Bug
02.27.2014 , 07:57 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by JDotter View Post
Nearly every tank in Hatred (PT) uses attack-adrenals off the pull just too good with explosive fuel. I can tell the difference from having to cycle taunts & doing that start with aggro, either is fine just why not maximize dps with what you are given.

My stims and adrenals are keybound so I often swap between resolve and fortitude. I have noticed some degree of comfort when I pull with resolve+attack adrenal.

KeyboardNinja
02.27.2014 , 10:42 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by JDotter View Post

I use the triple relic trick instead. It's not as good as an adrenal, but it avoids burning that cooldown for the next 3 minutes (something that actually matters in several fights).
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

DarthSpekulatius
03.10.2014 , 10:55 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
I would say Jugg and PT are the best combo for Cal, Oil Slick and Saber Reflect & Ward against all defense is awesome. Assassins using Phase Walk for final phase is nice, but Intercede/leaps do the job well enough. Juggs are probably unmatched in the first two phases due to the armor debuff from Smash on adds/multiple crystals as well.
Phasewalk doesn't drop the Relic?
anyway bbest combination for calph final phase are Shadow+Scoundrel

Stealth+Sprint&Roll to the relic time the klicking to happen at the same time rocket boost back = profit

KeyboardNinja
03.10.2014 , 11:54 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpekulatius View Post
Phasewalk doesn't drop the Relic?
anyway bbest combination for calph final phase are Shadow+Scoundrel

Stealth+Sprint&Roll to the relic time the klicking to happen at the same time rocket boost back = profit
Phase Walk doesn't drop the relic, so you can almost get in position to plant before the boss is even ready for you in the future phase. Stealthing and using Rocket Boots is pretty clever though. I hadn't thought of doing that.

DarthSpekulatius
03.10.2014 , 12:22 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Phase Walk doesn't drop the relic, so you can almost get in position to plant before the boss is even ready for you in the future phase. Stealthing and using Rocket Boots is pretty clever though. I hadn't thought of doing that.
even just stealthing for the 30% movement speed would be op, Rocket boots are just the icing^^