Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preferred 2.6 MT and OT

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Preferred 2.6 MT and OT

Letsjet
02.23.2014 , 11:09 PM | #1
Preferred 2.6 MT and OT classes for certain Op bosses. Things changing? Thoughts?
"I see you have constructed a new light saber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful as the Emperor has foreseen."

mastirkal
02.23.2014 , 11:46 PM | #2
Based soley on HM difficulty based solely on my opinion.

Nefra: N/A There is no main and off tank.
Drax: I'd still say it doesn't matter for main, sins excel offtanking here by helping dps and gathering adds.
Grob: PT main tanks definitely, dat hydraulic override. Sin offtanks with all those adds.
Corrupter. N/A no such thing and main and off, have to switch back and forth anyway.
Brontes: Sins are the best main tanks for this fight hands down. They also are stupid easy in the hybrid tank spec. Offtank doesn't matter.

Bestia: Sin tanks are the best at keeping the boss. they can abuse force shroud and stealth to not get any stacks on them. Off again doesn't matter
Tyrans: I'd go out on a limb and say Juggys are the best main tanks, but again if you're switching back and forth it doesn't matter. Offtanks again doesn't matter.
Calph: No opinion, face roll boss on any tank.
Raptus: PT by a far margin thanks again to hydraulic override, passive mitigation and oil slick. I'd say this fight is pretty weak for assassins, so I'd say juggy as the offtank.
Council: Ehhhh this one is the most subjective. No opinion is right really. Sins are probably the most helpful in the soft enrage with their debuffs and sin shelter.
WATER SUCKS
<PROVECTUS> IS BETTER

fire-breath
02.24.2014 , 12:52 AM | #3
Hmmm, for tyrans i would say jugg/pt tbh. When your cooldowns are on cooldown you can get heavy spikes by the turbulance as a sin/shadow.
For grobbie i wouldnt so easely discard shadows either. Resilience on the roar is pretty good and force speed lets you run acros as fast or faster than htl. If you get pipesmashed mid forcespeed you were just to slow ;-)
Brontes i would say pt since hammershot is so handy on the handphase where you get the knockback galore.

About the stealthing out on bestia to avoid stacks, when do you do it and when you taunt her back? I was aware of reslience during the channel to avoid getting stacks.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Zal'ssesse - Engi Sniper Macewindy - Sab Slinger

PugsloveHP - the 67k HP commando DPS/healer

mastirkal
02.24.2014 , 01:59 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by fire-breath View Post
Hmmm, for tyrans i would say jugg/pt tbh. When your cooldowns are on cooldown you can get heavy spikes by the turbulance as a sin/shadow.
For grobbie i wouldnt so easely discard shadows either. Resilience on the roar is pretty good and force speed lets you run acros as fast or faster than htl. If you get pipesmashed mid forcespeed you were just to slow ;-)
Brontes i would say pt since hammershot is so handy on the handphase where you get the knockback galore.

About the stealthing out on bestia to avoid stacks, when do you do it and when you taunt her back? I was aware of reslience during the channel to avoid getting stacks.
I have main tanked grob and yea it's not bad to force speed and get one pipe smash off consistently, but PT hydraulic override make it faceroll when you can just run right through it and not get stuck. As a sin you have to at least go around it to drag him in.

Brontes six finger phase is much easier with a sin tank in hybrid spec. I'm not joking when I say you take less than 5k hits each slam until they start building the stacks on the hand. All of brontes moves are AoE the only move that isn't AoE in the entire fight is the fingers shots in the first phase and the droids in the third.

You let the stacks fall on a dps or the other tank then taunt back. One stack won't even remotely hurt them and you'll probably have 20 seconds of freedom on the boss.
WATER SUCKS
<PROVECTUS> IS BETTER

Kawabonga
02.24.2014 , 02:09 AM | #5
If you're getting more than one pipe smash there's something quite wrong ^_^ I'm always main tanking grob. Pipe smash is the least of my worries tbh (well the whole fight is the least of my worries...)

Could someone go a bit more into detail on how to solo tank bestia? Can't find any video of it

mastirkal
02.24.2014 , 02:19 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kawabonga View Post
If you're getting more than one pipe smash there's something quite wrong ^_^ I'm always main tanking grob. Pipe smash is the least of my worries tbh (well the whole fight is the least of my worries...)

Could someone go a bit more into detail on how to solo tank bestia? Can't find any video of it
It's not possible to solo tank unless you have a dps in group who has a taunt. First time you can shroud, second time you can stealth, third time you can shroud, fourth time you need to either swap or have a dps take that stack for you and then you're able to repeat. This is ideal however, the boss is very strange sometimes and applies the dots faster than she should. I've had myself get stacks through my shroud and then immediately upon tank swap put the dots on my co-tank before I am even part way through more third stack.
WATER SUCKS
<PROVECTUS> IS BETTER

KeyboardNinja
02.24.2014 , 02:36 AM | #7
Jugg tanks are by far the worst for Tyrans, due to their built-in weakness in the face of force/tech damage. Given how much of the fight is tied up in Thundering Blast (which cannot be Saber Reflected), they tend to take the most damage here by a pretty wide margin. They also tend to spike the most consistently due to very low shield chance.

Aside from that, I mostly agree with the list given. It is an important caveat to put forth that any combination of tanks can clear all of the content. The only pair of tanks which is strongly disadvantaged is Jugg-Jugg, due to the lack of damage debuff. Anything other than that combo is going to do just fine.

My personal favorite combination is Assassin-Juggernaut, since I don't like having to use Discharge in rotation and the value of the armor debuff is not to be underestimated. Also, Jugg cooldowns, mobility and passive DR do a nice job of covering for all of the weaknesses of an Assassin, while the Assassin utility, threat, different cooldowns and different mobility options cover the weaknesses of the Jugg.

I am, however, currently running Shadow-Vanguard and am quite happy with it. Riot Gas is outstanding, Vanguard DR is even better than Guardian's, and the threat and damage are very strong. The only annoying downside is I have to apply the accuracy debuff. :-)

Severity Gaming and Hatred are both very vocal in their support for Jugg-Powertech as their tanking combo. As I said, very viable, and definitely bringing some things that the Assassin-based combos cannot handle (e.g. both of the tanks are high-passive mitigation tanks, and both have leaps).

Double Assassin is probably the most viable of the "doubled" combos, since Assassins bring both the damage debuff and the accuracy debuff, are no longer noticeably more spiky than Juggernauts and bring a full suite of cooldowns. However, I wouldn't run double Assassin in preference to another combo unless the assassins in question were simply better than the other players that I could draw from.

Double PT has its perks (e.g. Riot Gas up for 30 seconds out of every 45!), but it does lack a static accuracy debuff, some snap threat and defensive cooldowns. The passive damage reduction is outstanding though, and this is definitely a decent combo to go with if your healers are married to the idea of very steady, always-on tank damage.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Methoxa
02.24.2014 , 02:36 AM | #8
Nefra : Pt is nice for oil slick, offtank can be jug or sin or pt

Draxus : Pt or sin for bosstank, Jugger for offtank ( 8sec interupt, saber reflect, armor debuff on most adds)

Grobthok : Sin or pt for bosstank, any tank for adds ( however juggs can also easily tank Grob with only 1 pipe smash coming through)

Corruptor : Doesnt really matter, Jugg is nice for the adds with saber reflect, he can also reflect chest laser from the boss so i kinda preferr him here

Brontes : Sin + Jugger to nullfy the orb ( Force shroud + saber reflect)

Bestia : Sin for cleansing himself, Pt or jugg as ot
Tyrans : Doesnt matter
Calphayus : none preferred
Raptus : Jugger bc he can use enraged defense in the challenge ( comes out with 95%) can use saber reflect when force execution comes. Ot : pt for oil slick
Council : Jugger for sonic barrier + saber reflect on last phase. Ot: Sin for cleansing himself
Revanchist

mastirkal
02.24.2014 , 03:17 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Hatred is very vocal in their support for Jugg-Powertech as their tanking combo. As I said, very viable, and definitely bringing some things that the Assassin-based combos cannot handle (e.g. both of the tanks are high-passive mitigation tanks, and both have leaps).
A group has ran Anakyn and Thiol for almost the last year and some months. That does not mean the guild as as a whole are only supportive of that combo or prefers that combo, though. Both B and C have Sin tanks in them and I'd like to say I'm pretty good at what I do.

Severity is a bit easier to nail to this combo because they only have one raid group being their 16 man.
WATER SUCKS
<PROVECTUS> IS BETTER

Leafy_Bug
02.24.2014 , 08:23 AM | #10
For 8M HM / NiM we have always run Shadow-Guardian or Shadow-Vanguard. For 16M HM and NiM we run Shadow-Vanguard which is a rather odd combination, especially for thrasher NiM where the vang needs to aim his aoe taunt, whereas guardians and shadows can use their area taunt as they please. Shadow-Vanguard is interesting in terms of access to cooldowns and not in terms of performance.

Choosing a main tank and an offtank comes down to this :

1. Luxury to cherry pick the tank composition or go with what you have. We don't have the luxury to pick so we are stuck with Shadow-Vanguard. I would love a Shadow - Guardian combination but we are not in that boat.
2. Player skill and experience. If the players tanking and the healers do not have a good synergy with their class, you are better off excluding a shadow tank as main or offtank and going with Guardians/Vanguards. Shadows have a HP threshold you need to maintain and if your healers are not able to maintain that in times the player needs to save a cooldown for a later date, you won't enjoy having a shadow tank in your team.
3. Aggro. Do you prefer to give the tanks a few seconds to generate threat or you are trigger happy and expect the tank to hold aggro from the moment everyone jumped on the boss. In my guild, for example, they start on Tyrans, in 16M HM, with inspiration, boundless ages relic exploit, adrenals, etc and they expect my tank to hold aggro. In terms of aggro, Shadows are always superior to other tank classes.