Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guardian Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
Guardian Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

Manweth
03.02.2014 , 06:40 PM | #11
*facepalm*

I read Saber Reflect as Saber Throw.

Someone kill me.
Manw, Former Vigilance Player and Guardian Advocate.
Former Raider. Eternal Revan Fanboy.
Nothing else matters at this point.

GrandLordMenace
03.03.2014 , 12:56 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Manweth View Post
*facepalm*

I read Saber Reflect as Saber Throw.

Someone kill me.
*Passes Katana*
Rydarus Veneris the Revanchist, Beater #fedaracarrychist
Vigilance Guardian guide on Dulfy! Like my guide? Support my Referral Link!
Last Guardian DPS because dead game

Xtremophile
05.29.2014 , 08:58 AM | #13
Great Guide and it helped me alot of advanced tacs. Thanks for the effort, man. Rated 5!
Good or profane, odd or even
All is face to face
Light and Dark Sides, serve each other
Life is called this place

Vaidinah
06.14.2014 , 05:17 AM | #14
Thanks for the comment.

I updated the guide mostly with regard to the overall change to Focused Defense and subsequent massive nerf to the skill. Other than that, I just added in the 36/10/0 spec as another alternative as suggested by DuEldrvarya.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

FDCABN
10.30.2014 , 04:30 PM | #15
I don't know if this would be considered "necroing" a thread, I just wanted to point out that you would only receive the CDR on riposte for "Guard and Thrust" while Saber Ward is active, other then that, this is a very informative thread.

barretjc
04.08.2015 , 08:53 AM | #16
The only MMO that I have ever invested significant time in is World of Warcraft - I played DPS. That was a few years ago, and recently some friends and I decided that we were going to try out SWTOR. I wanted to try something new, so I decided to start out rolling a tank.

I only had a chance to glance through the guide (I'll take a more in-depth look at it later this evening), but unfortunately near the beginning the Torhead links no longer work.

Also, how relevant is this guide now? It's about 14 months old or so - if I read the date correctly. I hope it is still usable, as I really enjoyed reading what I was able to so far.

GrandLordMenace
04.08.2015 , 09:58 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by barretjc View Post
The only MMO that I have ever invested significant time in is World of Warcraft - I played DPS. That was a few years ago, and recently some friends and I decided that we were going to try out SWTOR. I wanted to try something new, so I decided to start out rolling a tank.

I only had a chance to glance through the guide (I'll take a more in-depth look at it later this evening), but unfortunately near the beginning the Torhead links no longer work.

Also, how relevant is this guide now? It's about 14 months old or so - if I read the date correctly. I hope it is still usable, as I really enjoyed reading what I was able to so far.
Irrelevant. use this: http://dulfy.net/2014/12/11/swtor-3-...e-by-artorias/
Rydarus Veneris the Revanchist, Beater #fedaracarrychist
Vigilance Guardian guide on Dulfy! Like my guide? Support my Referral Link!
Last Guardian DPS because dead game

Vaidinah
04.08.2015 , 10:04 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by barretjc View Post

The guide was written for 2.0 operations tanking, but even now in 3.0, it's mostly accurate and still relevant to the game. The main difference is one you already mentioned with the "Spec" section. Players used to be given a large number of skill points to put into a skill tree, however, that was replaced with another system called "Disciplines" to prevent players from using hybrids (going significantly far up more than one tree). Disciplines automatically give the player most of their abilities/buffs for that style of play with some limited choices in what are called "utilities". Since you are new to this game, you are probably leveling, but I haven't leveled a character in a long time so I don't know what the best utilities for that are at this point. If you're looking for utilities for end-game tanking in operations, I'll list them below.

Utilities don't vary much for operation tanking so this is what I use in the vast majority of cases. In the "Skillful" section, take Trailblazer (25% damage increase on Cyclone Slash), Narrowed Focus (gain 1 Focus when taking non-periodic AoE damage), and Second Wind (Resolute's cooldown is decreased by 30 seconds and gives a 10% max health heal).

For the "Masterful" section, take Guardianship (your AoE taunt, Challenging Call, gives a small shield to all nearby allies) and Inspiring Force (Freezing Force increases the movespeed of all nearby allies by 50% for 8 seconds). Lastly, Heroic utilities have the most good choices available. I typically take "Daunting Presence", which causes Force Leap to reset your interrupt, Force Kick, increases the duration of Saber Reflect by 2 more seconds (to 5 total), and gives you massive amount of threat to all engaged enemies within 30 meters (make sure you are attacked at least once before using for this to work). I would also take "Through Peace" (decreases cooldown on Focused Defense by 30 seconds) or "True Harmony" (Enure increases movement speed by 100% and makes you immune to movement-impairing effects).

Other than that, there are a small number of changes. You now replace Sundering Strike on your bar with Warding Strike and use it as much as possible once you have your 2 piece set bonus from the new gear. For your single target opener, you can skip Force Sweep and go straight for Guardian Slash since it has much higher threat and damage.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Vaidinah
04.08.2015 , 10:16 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandLordMenace View Post
I don't want to get into this too much here, but that guide serves a very different purpose than mine. His guide is good for beginning to advanced level tanking, which is enough for most people, but it does not go into any great level of detail. The purpose of my guide to give players information to progress from beginning level Guardian tanking to mastery of the discipline.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Luckygunslinger
05.08.2015 , 07:54 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaidinah View Post
I don't want to get into this too much here, but that guide serves a very different purpose than mine. His guide is good for beginning to advanced level tanking, which is enough for most people, but it does not go into any great level of detail. The purpose of my guide to give players information to progress from beginning level Guardian tanking to mastery of the discipline.
I kind of cut out the middle man and just list the advanced/master reasons of why I do what I do, why cooldowns are used when they are, why abilities are used when they are rather than having stages of progression through experience. Get the best habits of a tank, beat them into the person upon hitting 60, they'll do HM Stage Rotation, Cooldown Management etc. from the moment they hit 60 to the moment they kill HM Monolith or something. Of course to each their own, but saying a great level of detail is semi-irrelevant, when 9 time out of 10, people don't typically like to read mountains of text to learn a spec. Which is nothing against your guide of course, just speaking from experience.

People have been resilient in the past over guides going into too much detail and I've gotten positive results with my guide's layout. Respectfully I feel our guides do share a similar purpose, though their forms are different the method is the same, to teach people rotations, cooldown usage, threat and so forth.

Artorias
5/5 HM Rav - Revanchist - HM ToS 5/5
Rage - Immortal - Guides - Defense - Focus