Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How different is shadow/assassin tanking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
How different is shadow/assassin tanking?

FrostTrooper
02.22.2014 , 07:44 AM | #1
I'm coming back to the game after taking several months off and after trying to decide between starting a healer and starting another tank. Since launch I've played a PT and Jugg tank (as well as some dps) exclusively. So now returning, I thought that switching gears would be a good change. I've tanked with some assassins and they seemed to do well, but I've never played one.

Basically, I'm wondering how differently a shadow/assassin plays? Are they difficult? Challenge?

Eatdamuffin
02.22.2014 , 09:04 AM | #2
Basically Shadow/Assassin tanking is harder to learn and harder to master than the other two. It has a much higher skill cap that if you play well, you will be rewarded with having the potential to show off how good you are. But when you play poorly, you don't have that baked in damage mitigation to fall back on.

It's much easier to play the other two well in most circumstances (Except Juggernaut AOE tanking) because the other two have more obvious cool downs and baked in mitigation. Most of your tanking comes from active mitigation aka how well you can keep up certain stacks and timing of skills in your rotation.

But don't let that deter you and it's really not that hard once you play it enough.

Prototypemind
02.22.2014 , 10:52 AM | #3
Love, love, love my Sin tank, and I'm bringing up a Shadow also, though it's taking a while due to boredom in that storyline =p. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all; more effort, but more reward as well.

FrostTrooper
02.22.2014 , 01:11 PM | #4
Awesome to hear, I have no problem with a challenge and to be honest, that might be a good change since PT tanking is pretty easy.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Omophorus
02.22.2014 , 04:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by FrostTrooper View Post
I'm coming back to the game after taking several months off and after trying to decide between starting a healer and starting another tank. Since launch I've played a PT and Jugg tank (as well as some dps) exclusively. So now returning, I thought that switching gears would be a good change. I've tanked with some assassins and they seemed to do well, but I've never played one.

Basically, I'm wondering how differently a shadow/assassin plays? Are they difficult? Challenge?
So in a nutshell...

-Shadow/Assassin has the most active mitigation, and thus requires the most attention paid and effort required to minimize damage taken.
-Shadow/Assassin has the least trouble with threat, especially AoE threat, and can focus far less on maintaining it, especially when taunt fluffing isn't the primary threat generation mechanism.
-It's middle of the 3 in terms of priority/rotation execution. It's not as proc-driven as PT/VG, it's not as static as Juggy/Guardian. Once you are used to the pattern of it, it's just a matter of prioritizing filler GCDs well and recognizing when you should or shouldn't be casting/clipping FL/TKT.
Srs'bsns, Conquerer of the Dread Fortress
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"
<Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk

Vaidinah
02.22.2014 , 06:53 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by FrostTrooper View Post

If you are used to the other tanks, Assassin tanking will be pretty easy to learn and the main difference lies in your ability to stealth. This can change the way you approach leveling, PvP, and Flashpoints. For end-game Operation tanking, they aren't very different.

Assassins are very simple to play and in terms of challenge, they are significantly easier to master than Jugg tanks. Many people disagree with the previous statement. None of them have mastered Jugg tanking. This is not a coincidence.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

mastirkal
02.22.2014 , 07:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaidinah View Post
If you are used to the other tanks, Assassin tanking will be pretty easy to learn and the main difference lies in your ability to stealth. This can change the way you approach leveling, PvP, and Flashpoints. For end-game Operation tanking, they aren't very different.

Assassins are very simple to play and in terms of challenge, they are significantly easier to master than Jugg tanks. Many people disagree with the previous statement. None of them have mastered Jugg tanking. This is not a coincidence.
Have you mastered sin tanking? If not, your comment is just as invalid by your logic. Though I suspect we'll all get into that argument we had a few weeks ago and it'll drivel into name calling if we argue around about it.
<Hatred>
Dragonslayer Remari the Sin Tank
*Has a spooky mask*

Vaidinah
02.22.2014 , 11:05 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by mastirkal View Post
Have you mastered sin tanking? If not, your comment is just as invalid by your logic. Though I suspect we'll all get into that argument we had a few weeks ago and it'll drivel into name calling if we argue around about it.
I have mastered sin tanking and it was the easiest spec I ever learned. This was especially true pre-2.0 when Assassin tanks were ridiculously easy compared to the hybrid Jugg tank, Vengeance Jugg, and Concealment Operative that I mastered back then. When people were complaining all over the place about Assassin tanks being too spikey after 2.0, I had to explain to several Assassin tanks who thought they were amazing at the game how to play their class correctly, especially with regard to using defensive cooldowns and utiilty.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't talk about topics with any kind of authority unless I actually know what I'm talking about. Many people are compelled to make incorrect statements on classes/specs they aren't even good at because they heard someone else say it.

Arguments are fine if there is actually something to discuss, but only when both sides have a strong understanding of the topics. Since that's not the case, nothing is going to happen.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

mastirkal
02.23.2014 , 01:04 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaidinah View Post
I have mastered sin tanking and it was the easiest spec I ever learned. This was especially true pre-2.0 when Assassin tanks were ridiculously easy compared to the hybrid Jugg tank, Vengeance Jugg, and Concealment Operative that I mastered back then. When people were complaining all over the place about Assassin tanks being too spikey after 2.0, I had to explain to several Assassin tanks who thought they were amazing at the game how to play their class correctly, especially with regard to using defensive cooldowns and utiilty.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't talk about topics with any kind of authority unless I actually know what I'm talking about. Many people are compelled to make incorrect statements on classes/specs they aren't even good at because they heard someone else say it.

Arguments are fine if there is actually something to discuss, but only when both sides have a strong understanding of the topics. Since that's not the case, nothing is going to happen.
I'd say I've mastered sin tanking, sorc healing and sniper dps [Still can't break that 3.8k mark], but because I don't play my sorc healer anymore competitively, I don't feel like I deserve the same respect on the matter of healing. I agree with you that sin tanks are not as hard as people make them out to be. I've had pre and post 2.0 to master and perfect how to play it. Obviously I still get new information on what our cooldowns can and cannot be useful for and how we can maximize our survivability through new tricks , but the base mechanics I've known for a very long time.

I can't comment on the difficulty of sins versus juggys, but the problem is I don't really know how much I trust you on this comparison. I can't tell if you're bias because you main a juggy or if you are being truly genuine and find juggernauts to be harder to play than sins. I also have to question if that is the case for everyone, or just for you. In the last thread where this was argued I don't believe anyone sided with you on the subject, but I think this has more to do with people never really getting truly good at both and able to give an answer that can confirm or deny you, and that basically means that your statement is just as true as it is false.

In the end, while you might be right. I can't really trust your judgement. There simply isn't enough people who can compare the two and say that it is a definite fact or just an opinion of one man.
<Hatred>
Dragonslayer Remari the Sin Tank
*Has a spooky mask*

Prototypemind
02.23.2014 , 02:07 AM | #10
Jugg tanking isn't difficult, but I do think a lot of people see the base DR, heavy armor, etc, and ignore the mechanics. They don't bother using their AoE taunt to shield the whole group, don't use Retaliation and Force Scream to shield themselves, intercede to help others drop threat or to get around when shifting is tight. A lot of the utility that a Jugg offers is ignored.