Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

So I just finished the Jedi knight story...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
So I just finished the Jedi knight story...

Technohic's Avatar


Technohic
02.20.2014 , 09:50 PM | #1
Thought it was supposed to be good? I guess the overall theme was ok but I found the ending kind of simple and short. Still not bad. Just thought it would be better.

Only have one story left and thats the jedi counselor and I have a sage at 32. So far I rank them as follows

Imperial Agent
Sith Inquisitor (actually pretty close to agent. I like the big picture but not the individual parts so much)
Sith Warrior (overall ploy may not be as good as Jedi knight, but the pieces are great and dramatic at times)
Jedi Knight
Smuggler
Bounty Hunter/Commando at the bottom.
So far Jedi Counselor has been about the worst.

Helig's Avatar


Helig
02.20.2014 , 09:53 PM | #2
Knight story is heroic high fantasy. Comparing it to the Agent story is like comparing an apple to an orange.

As far as your ranking goes, Warrior takes the cake for me, Agent close second, then Knight, all the way down to Inquisitor at the bottom (probably because I expected so much more from a Palpatine-esque rise to power, story-wise).
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Technohic's Avatar


Technohic
02.20.2014 , 09:57 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Knight story is heroic high fantasy. Comparing it to the Agent story is like comparing an apple to an orange.

As far as your ranking goes, Warrior takes the cake for me, Agent close second, then Knight, all the way down to Inquisitor at the bottom (probably because I expected so much more from a Palpatine-esque rise to power, story-wise).
Yeah, I like the overall rise to power and it really fits being darker as you go, but the ghosts and some of the running just was kind of...meh. If it wasn't for the character actor, I probably would drop it down.

FoxhoundsFinest's Avatar


FoxhoundsFinest
02.20.2014 , 09:58 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Inquisitor at the bottom (probably because I expected so much more from a Palpatine-esque rise to power, story-wise).
Inquisitor has to be my favorite of all the Imperial classes's stories. It's more of a working your way from the bottom of the pile type story. Not going into more than that due to spoilers . But I will say that I enjoyed the Knight story quite well, as well as the Agent's. The Bounty Hunter's is a bit iffy for me, though.
The Ragortos Legacy Ebon Hawk
SavifasDiveron
ZagollÜrvaz Vaises

Helig's Avatar


Helig
02.21.2014 , 03:27 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Yeah, I like the overall rise to power and it really fits being darker as you go, but the ghosts and some of the running just was kind of...meh. If it wasn't for the character actor, I probably would drop it down.
My main gripes with the Inquisitor story are as follows. First, for a supposed master manipulator, you sure get manipulated a lot, and it seems like you don't make any meaningful choices to screw anyone over Inquisitor style the guys on Balmorra comes close, but lack impact). Second, the character doesn't feel like they wield actual power. Practically, others do things for you - kill your enemies, look for stuff, determine best course of action. And it doesn't actually feel like the Inquisitor is in authority, too. The underlings seem to be making more meaningful choices than the character themselves.

But yes, the voice acting is awesome. Got a male Sorc and a female Sin - the lady easily has the best voice acting in the entire game, closely tied with the male Sith Warrior.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

RowanThursday's Avatar


RowanThursday
02.21.2014 , 08:02 PM | #6
To be fair, I think the point of the Inquisitor story was a kind of deconstruction of the 'master manipulator's planned rise to power' trope. Whether people would have preferred it played straight I don't know, but I think the story as intended is that, no, you didn't step out of
Spoiler
but instead pretty much everything you did was a reaction to immediate necessities, based on advice, experience, and frequently, the lack of any other choice- that the Sith Empire *made* the monster who will probably be the next Emperor, and the all-controlling omniscient Sith
Spoiler
is in fact, pretty much, a public image.

That's not to say that the Inquisitor doesn't *take* control- but, yes, I think it's intentional that if our Inquisitor were to say "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my designs" it would be because that comment inspires more confidence and/or fear than "I made it up as I went along and I haven't died yet, so trust me, I know absolutely what I'm doing!"
"... Pointless meatbag bickering."
-- HK-55

Helig's Avatar


Helig
02.22.2014 , 12:11 AM | #7
^
The thing is - aside the lack of politics, intrigue, manipulation, it doesn't *feel* like you're pushing your way to power yourself. It really feels like you're along for the ride, your crew pushing you to galvanization points, only for other (dead) people to do your job for you. The effing Jedi Consular feels more powerful in terms of power that belongs to them, and is not borrowed.

To be entirely honest, the only truly memorable part of the story was Belsavis, but only because it was about mind-blowing Rakata Lore that happened to be in the Inquisitor story, and not about the Inquisitor story itself.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Technohic's Avatar


Technohic
02.22.2014 , 08:49 PM | #8
Belsavis was a good planet for inquisitor. Particularly if you were dark. (and why the hell wouldn't you be?)

Been taking a break this weekend to drink beer and watch movies, but will continue the counselor story when I get a chance. I'm at level 32 and it hasn't drawn me in but I hope to get it done in the next 2-3 weeks with my casual play. It get any better?

Helig's Avatar


Helig
02.23.2014 , 12:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Belsavis was a good planet for inquisitor. Particularly if you were dark. (and why the hell wouldn't you be?)

Been taking a break this weekend to drink beer and watch movies, but will continue the counselor story when I get a chance. I'm at level 32 and it hasn't drawn me in but I hope to get it done in the next 2-3 weeks with my casual play. It get any better?
Consular story is very slow burn. It "stacks" on itself, gaining depth, and picks up the pace somewhat , but doesn't reach Knight dynamics. It has a lot of rewarding "oh, hell, I KNEW IT!" titbits cropping up here and there. To fully enjoy it, you need to keep some things in your head. Otherwise it may seem uninteresting.

The final Big Bad was a very fun revelation, regardless of your approach.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Floredon's Avatar


Floredon
02.25.2014 , 01:24 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Knight story is heroic high fantasy. Comparing it to the Agent story is like comparing an apple to an orange.

As far as your ranking goes, Warrior takes the cake for me, Agent close second, then Knight, all the way down to Inquisitor at the bottom (probably because I expected so much more from a Palpatine-esque rise to power, story-wise).
sorry can't resist, but an apple and an orange are both fruit, they are both round, both grow on trees. you can compare an apple and an orange, and they have alot in common actually. so there goes your argument. yes i am kidding.
on a serious note, i've noticed that the Imp side stories are more dramatic and the choices more meaningful than the pub side. Any one of these stories is miles ahead of any other MMOs leveling experience though.