Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which tank would you suggest?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which tank would you suggest?

MustangCzar
02.20.2014 , 08:49 PM | #1
As the title says, what tank would you guys suggest? and why? My friend just currently got into swtor and he has some friends that are going to play with us too. We'll have a marauder, an operative(dps), and a powertech (dps), and me... I like to tank and I've play powertech and juggernaut to at least lvl 25 I loved both. But i have never play an sin tank. What would you go in my situation?

AzlanWhite
02.21.2014 , 12:07 AM | #2
Having levelled 3 different tanks, this is my opinion of them.

Juggernaut: Your typical MMO tank, very simple to play. Not much to watch out for other than the debuffs you put on bosses etc.
Powertech: Pretty much the most "balanced" out of the three. Good aggro maintenance and good survivalibility.
Assassin: Mitigation tank. Easily the weakest tank until you get those buffs up and maintain it, which arguably put it on par with jugg tanks and perhaps even PT tanks. Great aggro and utility such as stealth and giving bonus to healing. It became my main cause I find it interesting and incredibly fun to play once you get through the rather steep learning curve.

Difficulty wise I would say Sin > PT > Jugg.

Then again everything will be simple once you know how to play it the right way. (:

Best wishes on your tanking journey!

taxidermis
02.21.2014 , 10:55 AM | #3
PT. very easy to tank with at low levels thanks to massive damage dealing aoes. Plus early mitigation and heavy armor. Easier to tank with levelling than in endgame.

Jugg. Can be hard to tank with levelling due to lack of aoes and threat builders till higher level. Levelling tanking this class means switching targets every 2-3 attacks. Lots if cool downs. Endgame one of the best tanks due to so many cool downs u almost always have one available. Also at endgame one of the best threat maintains moves in the game with the bonus of it being a defensive cd.

Sin. Can't say much as I shelved the tanking when they took away the dark charges heals and added armor rating. Previously I tanked exclusively in sun and found it really good, I was just too lazy to relearn a tanking style due to spec changes.
Ashtor'aa, deception assassin, 55
Speresia, immortal juggernaut, 55
Ashterra, engineering sniper, 55
Hedriah, shield spec pt, 55
Hedr'a, arsenal merc, 55
Deadly Obsession

Hedra, gunnery commando,55, Guild leader-(The Grand Army of the Republic)
Rubix, Vanguard Hybrid, (The Grand Army of the Republic)

Begeren Colony veteran and proud! Never leaving!

Helig
02.24.2014 , 02:12 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MustangCzar View Post
As the title says, what tank would you guys suggest? and why? My friend just currently got into swtor and he has some friends that are going to play with us too. We'll have a marauder, an operative(dps), and a powertech (dps), and me... I like to tank and I've play powertech and juggernaut to at least lvl 25 I loved both. But i have never play an sin tank. What would you go in my situation?
Played all three (at 55). Here's my take on them.

Damage mitigation:
Vanguard/PT has the best passive mitigation, not much is required from the player, aside using shield and oil slick/riot gas. Juggernaut/Guardian has a great set of defensive cooldowns, and deals with damage spike phases very well. Assassin/Shadow requires the most work for its mitigation, and, according to KBN's calculations, it has higher overtime mitigation than all other tanks, if played right.

Aggro:
Single target/boss, all tanks are about similar (thanks to taunt cheesing), but Guardian/Juggernaut raw threat per second seems to be a bit lower than the competition - at least multitarget TPS. And it's pretty inflexible in terms of reach, because if you screw up with your Reflect and/or AoE taunt, you'll have a big headache rounding up scattered enemies.
Assassin/Shadow was the easiest for me to hold aggro with, Powertech was close second.

Ergonomics:
Vanguard/PT is easily the most ergonomic (ease-of-use, flexibility, margin-for-error) of the three. Shadow/Sin is easy on the offense, but may be tricky on the defense. Guard/Jugg's range inflexibility and the clunkier Rage system may be off-putting for players who aren't used to it.

So there. If you're a beginner, roll with the Vanguard/PT without second though. It's the best tank to learn the ropes with, and it's perfectly viable in endgame.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

jaytdasme
03.01.2014 , 04:06 PM | #5
Sin is most fun but as previously stated quite difficult to master. I think even in tanking they still maintain decent dps late game where as vanguard and guardian become pitiful, particularly in pvp. Vanguard imo best survivalbility. Sin best Aggro hold. Guardian easiest to understand and use appropriately.
“Do or do not. There is no try.”