Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

First time tanking.

tharbison
03.03.2014 , 10:29 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
I did Athiss with my PT a while ago at level 19 and there was level 22 Marauder in the group. I didn't have to think who to Guard.
Good point! DPS a few levels up will definitely need it! Otherwise it usually becomes clear after the first couple of fights who needs to be guarded. Don't just throw it on the healer. But also be ready to switch guard if needed.

CheaterLL
03.04.2014 , 02:02 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Fidelicatessen View Post
Good tanks throw Guard on whomever is likely to pull agro. That usually isn't the healer (assuming the DPS are following the kill order).

Clueless tanks throw Guard on the healer, no matter what.

Bad tanks don't use Guard at all.
Bored tanks don't use Guard either
CheaterLL, lvl 55 Jugg Tank; CheaterL-L, lvl 55 Sorc Heal; Cheater-L, lvL 55 Sniper DD; Cheater'l, lvl 35 PT Tank; Cheater'LL, lvl 27 Mara DD; CheaterL'L, lvl 18 Merc Heal <Tribunal der Dunkelheit> | CheaterL, LvL 52 'Mando Heal <Star Wars Rebels> | Cheater-LL, LvL 55 Assa Tank, GM <ERROR> | The Invincible Legacy Living Legend @ T3-M4 (EU : DE / PvE)

Master_Hitsugaya
03.06.2014 , 01:43 AM | #23
That's part of the reason why I dont tank and that is because it is much harder than any other role.

You have to know the layout of each flashpoint/op
Be able to avoid mobs( there are some crazy paths in flash points to avoid mobs
Know how to fight each boss
Know how to hold aggro well
Pulling adds and so on

Tank and healer tend to get blamed when ever there is a problem while dps almost never get blamed( dps just along for the ride)

Vladnar
03.06.2014 , 01:51 AM | #24
TIP: Having only read your comment on page 1 ill admit.

Use youtube, usually got a dulfy guide on there for each flashpoint, and see the mechanics for the boss fights. it gives you some kind of idea of what you're aiming to do and how to go about it. They often have a mechanic thatll make it much smoother if you have some kind of idea in advance, after try one you'd be fine anyway eh?

As the tank you are the leader and some quick 5 or 6 minute video will show you what you should all be doing so youre all going for the healer first then the dps for the tank boss that doesn't do any damage at all, rather than tanking the non dpsing tank and all taking a pasting from the dps whose being healed constantly by the medic....see what i mean?

Most players are fun to be with just don't do enough talking in fp's is about all i can say i have 9 toons and 6 are level 55 and well geared and overall and by far just like life its only the minority that are a problem so stick them on your ignore list. As a tank you'll get pops for fps every few seconds so stick with and have fun, im sure you'll enjoy it.......ALSO......its your job to keep the elites busy while the dps deal with the surrounding trash you don't have to keep every single npc under control but you do need to keep an eye to ensure npcs interested in the healer become more interested in you. If the dps pulls wrong target or don't let you build enough aggro to start with or even start the fight its their mistake and you don't have to make up for their inadequacies.

Good Luck
The time of the Empire is now truly upon us

jaytdasme
03.06.2014 , 07:03 PM | #25
Mhm make sure you glance a good tanking guide before you reach high level content.
Some key points to remember:
1. It's best to familiarize yourself with every FP you plan on tanking. Google it if you have to. Since you will lead and pull You are expected to know the fights.
2. Keep your pacing in sync. If your group is kinda slow taking out mobs and healing up after fights, take your time. If the group seems like they are rushing, try to match. Ultimately they need to be going whatever pace you are but we wanna keep everyone happy.
3. Make sure the healer isn't getting hit. U should be the only one getting hit if done properly, but holding aggro can be tough at time so in the very least make sure you don't have pressure on the healer.
4. Stay current on gear. this is probably most important for you than anyone else because if you die there a pretty good chance the rest of the team is going down.

The rest i'm sure you can figure out. As long as you enjoy doing it keep it up. We can never have enough heals and tanks. You're important and appreciated (even when it seems like you aren't lol)
“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Redfoot_
03.07.2014 , 11:12 AM | #26
Many MMOs ago I heard a piece of advice thats stuck with me:

It's not the Tanks job to hold aggro but more it's the DPSs job not to steal it.

Callaron
03.07.2014 , 11:21 AM | #27
Don't worry about it, the low levels have a high concentration of douchebags - but it gets better as the questionable elements lose interest and go back to playing LoL or the newest F2P MMO that catches their attention.
If you are worried about people responding badly you can also tell them at the beginning of the FP that you are new to tanking and that you'd appreciate any advice they can give you on the boss fights.
And another perk of being a tank is that you always have great queue times, while those loudmouth DPS that abused you are sitting in the queue for hours grinding their teeth (especially after you toss them on ignore for being jerks).
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)

AlrikFassbauer
03.07.2014 , 02:23 PM | #28
Thanks for those replies from me as well - my very first tank (a Jedi) is now level 20 and did Hammerstation not long ago ...

I think asking whether everyone is ready for the fight is a good move as well - especially when playing with people who haven't seen the Flashpoint, Heroic or Operation before.
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

jaytdasme
03.07.2014 , 04:06 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Redfoot_ View Post
Many MMOs ago I heard a piece of advice thats stuck with me:

It's not the Tanks job to hold aggro but more it's the DPSs job not to steal it.
even if i fully agreed with that, you're definitely not gonna win over your peers with that outlook. Unless being unpopular doesn't phase u, i'd keep this to yourself in FPs..lol
“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Muljo_Stpho
03.10.2014 , 03:14 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by cxten View Post
The three elites(/champions?) you were talking about are not a boss, but just some tough mobs to fight on the way to the last boss. Pulling three at a time is usually a wipe, unless your group is overleveled or the group is overall solid *and* the healer is really good.

You should be able to pull just one at a time, or at most two. Wait for the walking ones to be close, and pull them separately, then try just pulling the nearest one, etc.
Ah, yes, that part. In a lot of groups that I've been with through that flashpoint, near the end there someone will typically tie up an enemy to make them easier to deal with. An Operative or an Assassin can use a stealth stun to tie one up without initiating combat and then you can just skip the group if you want. (Just make sure nothing goes wrong with the final boss fight because nobody that falls stands a chance of reviving and running back to the fight if there are still enemies in the way.) Otherwise you'll have to fight them and it's divide and conquer. Somebody puts one of the enemies out of the fight for 60 seconds and you use that time to take out the other one first. (Try to deal with the one that wanders through separately as well if you can. Wait until you can take him on when he won't be the same fight as those two.)

Divide and conquer can be a useful strategy in all sorts of tough group fights. Try to be aware of which classes have access to which stuns so you know exactly how much your team can tie up. (We usually specifically talk about the 60 second stuns here. There are plenty of short stuns too but those will usually get mixed in with combat instead of keeping an enemy out of combat completely.) Anything that can be tied up at the start of a fight is one less danger to worry about for the first 60 seconds (so long as nobody attacks it or catches it with an area attack).

Quote:
but the whole fight the sith sorcer kept calling me an idiot
Going back to this story, the Sorceror could have tied one of the enemies up in a whirlwind. I'd assume that that was probably his intention before the fight started. And then either there was too much going on to be sure that he could have used it without someone immediately waking the enemy up or he did use it and the enemy was immediately woken up. (Either way, it was your fault but he should have explained afterwards "I had one tied up, don't break my cc". Get through it and then explain that it could have been much easier, because that time he spent chewing you out in the middle of battle was time spent not contributing to the fight which only would have helped to make a bad situation worse.)

Quote:
a little trouble establishing aggro from a sith sorcerer but he kept attacking things I have no even hit yet but i just grappled them from him to get aggro.
If he was really attacking early that's his mistake. But if he was really tying an enemy up in a whirlwind though and you thought it was an attack (which I suspect is what was really happening) that's your mistake, and you may have been disrupting his efforts to make fights easier through the entire flashpoint by screwing up his stuns.

Of course maybe he could have communicated that better and he probably should have spoken up about it earlier than the last group before the final boss. He could have clarified that he was going to be tying a target up in each fight. He could have marked his target and said for nobody to attack that target (make it a general reminder for everyone even if the issue was only with you).