Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advanced Augment 28s constantly selling for less than they take to make?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Advanced Augment 28s constantly selling for less than they take to make?

DawnAskham
02.25.2014 , 10:33 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Millardkillmoore View Post
Augment crafter here. I make millions a week purely from crafting Adv 28 Augs. I have to constantly buy up Thermal Regulators because I don't have any crafting alts (working on that now). I never purchase other materials from the GTN and run my own gathering missions. Crits mean that there are significant profits to be made even at 80k. It's key that you're using max affection companions with crit bonuses and that you have the legacy of crafting perks.

The price of Thermal Regulators is not always 20k. I don't buy them for anything above that price. 19.5k is the typical price on Harbinger. I always buy every TR I see listed for less than 19k. Sometimes, I'll even see bulk sales of 99 sold for 15-17k each. Grabbing those up is a huge boon.

Another thing to consider is that the price of augments is not always 80k. That's the bare minimum I'll sell for and only if I need the capital to gather more materials. I have built up a huge stockpile of Absorb, Reflex, Skill, and Shield augments. Whenever the price starts to rise, I can sell dozens/day for 90k+ each. If I have the capital and feel the prices have been too low for too long, I like to buy out everyone in the market and set the price to a much higher level. On Harbinger a few days ago, I set the prices of absorb augments to 130k (I find that they simply don't sell at higher prices than 130k) and made sure that they stayed as high as possible for as long as possible. After 4-5 days, they basically returned to normal and I made ~6 million in profits. So if you felt that you were getting gouged on Absorb Augment prices on Harbinger for the past few days, that was my fault.

I've recently noticed that I have a massive stockpile of Bio-Mechanical Interface chips. I'm currently studying the market and contemplating expanding into Augmentation kits.

tl;dr There's huge money to be made in the augment market if you pay attention.
Different servers, different economies.

On mine, Therm Reg go for 24K on average (I found a stack about a week ago right at 20K, the next stack was posted at 23K) while the augments rarely poke above 100K, usually floating in the mid 90s. The green materials used float a bit more in price, but rarely dip below 1K with an average price around 1.3-1.5K.

It is sometimes possible to try and reset the price point, but it is highly risky as there are a few people who seem to be ok with making little if any profit that will dump and massively undercut if the price moves much above 100K (as in you'll see a few at 100, 99.9, 99.8 then someone with a page at 90, then another at 85).

morfius
02.26.2014 , 08:17 AM | #22
There are players with free access to TR (very large guild crafters) or crafting gankers/trolls... there is no other explanation.
On my server I see them almost day to day undercutting augments that are usually bought in hours with 5 - 10K (let say previous ones are on 88K - you see someone post directly on 78 to 83K).
This way let say Reflex 28 goes from 95 to 60 in matter of hours ... some buyers are happy but casual crafters are screwed.
Price of TRs start at 20K.
No crit can cover 60K price when you buy TRs, grinding them alone is pretty hard.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

psandak
02.26.2014 , 09:06 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by morfius View Post
There are players with free access to TR (very large guild crafters) or crafting gankers/trolls... there is no other explanation.
On my server I see them almost day to day undercutting augments that are usually bought in hours with 5 - 10K (let say previous ones are on 88K - you see someone post directly on 78 to 83K).
This way let say Reflex 28 goes from 95 to 60 in matter of hours ... some buyers are happy but casual crafters are screwed.
Price of TRs start at 20K.
No crit can cover 60K price when you buy TRs, grinding them alone is pretty hard.
I am not saying I agree with the mentality but if one uses one's own TRs from running missions and uses the cost to acquire as the measure of profitability then 60k is in fact very profitable.

Long story short, running "Unsliceable?" and "Watching the Watchdogs" and assuming a perfect distribution of crits, TRs cost 5965 credits to acquire. That is 23860 credits per augment. Throw in other materials' costs (using the same costing premise) and the cost to manufacture a single augment barely breaches 26k. Throw in a better than 1 in 4 crit chance when crafting an augment and each augment's cost to manufacture is only 20.8k. At 60k that's a 188% profit margin.

All that being said, at a cost to acquire of 5965 and a typical price point of 20k each that's a 235% profit margin. So those selling at 60k are selling themselves short, but are still making significant profit.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

Grayseven
02.28.2014 , 10:35 AM | #24
In every MMO I've played I have always seen a disconnect between materials pricing and item pricing.

I've always assumed it was because materials have the potential to be anything while an item is always an item, and people leveling crafting skills drive up the demand on materials.

Because I've always seen huge numbers of augments for sale, I assumed the oversupply was driving down prices along with the undercutters who simply want to sell now instead of waiting for a few thousand more credits. And when undercutters start undercutting other undercutters...well, it begins a rapid slide straight down.

Even materials can be affected by undercutters, however, so the best suggestion I have is to sell mats when they are worth more than what they can make and sell items when they are worth more than the mats that make them cost.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

DanielCs
06.05.2014 , 12:09 PM | #25
Quote:
It is sometimes possible to try and reset the price point, but it is highly risky as there are a few people who seem to be ok with making little if any profit that will dump and massively undercut if the price moves much above 100K (as in you'll see a few at 100, 99.9, 99.8 then someone with a page at 90, then another at 85).
This is so true. I tried to reset the prices once (from two pages of 70k up to 90k), only to have the same people disregard the change in the market and put dozens of augs back for 70k. I swear they must be peo- trolls sitting on hundreds of mils gaining only pleasure from these occurences! Or just sheer stupidity.

psandak
06.05.2014 , 12:28 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DanielCs View Post
This is so true. I tried to reset the prices once (from two pages of 70k up to 90k), only to have the same people disregard the change in the market and put dozens of augs back for 70k. I swear they must be peo- trolls sitting on hundreds of mils gaining only pleasure from these occurences! Or just sheer stupidity.
More likely stupidity and/or not caring.

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

Grayseven
06.08.2014 , 02:20 PM | #27
Right now Mk-9 kits are down to 50k per on Shadowlands, with almost a dozen pages under 53k. You can see the same names over and over as they undercut the people that undercut them who then undercut them again over and over with what seem to be endless supplies of these kits.

Considering the amount of time it takes to craft items to RE them for components and then to make the kits I have to wonder how they are making any credits at all.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

psandak
06.08.2014 , 08:37 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post
Right now Mk-9 kits are down to 50k per on Shadowlands, with almost a dozen pages under 53k. You can see the same names over and over as they undercut the people that undercut them who then undercut them again over and over with what seem to be endless supplies of these kits.

Considering the amount of time it takes to craft items to RE them for components and then to make the kits I have to wonder how they are making any credits at all.
Purely as a function of credits, if one:

- runs missions to acquire materials (assuming a +5% crit companion and two no +crit bonus companions that run nothing but the two rich scavenging missions and the tricopper flux mission)
- uses cybertech to craft droid parts to get components (the most efficient being the QT-9 and QT-10 parts 2/2/2 scavenging materials, some of which one gets back doing the RE)
- buys the Bio-mechanical interface chips (blue quality slicing materials; which are at worst 250 each and more commonly 150 or less each off the GTN, so call it 200 each for easy math)
- and then uses an armormech to craft the slot kits at 2/2/2 scavenging materials +4 BMICs and 10 slot kit components

The cost to make one MK-9 augmentation slot kit is roughly 15k credits (on the high side). So 50k credits BEFORE crits in a huge profit margin. But this does not take into account the 90 minutes to run those missions, craft and RE the droid parts and then craft the slot kit (not to mention the character switching and relogging to get the "right" missions).

And even buying the scavenging materials off the GTN and the crafting vendor (this saves ~40minutes worth of time) the total cost is 42.5k before crits. So 50k is still profitable.

However, if one looks at the GTN value of the kit components at roughly 5k each, only then is 50k unprofitable before crits.

I am not saying I like or agree with the mentality demonstrated above - my time is worth something to me - but I do understand it.

ScarletBlaze
06.09.2014 , 01:40 AM | #29
I've noticed that this happens more so over the weekend than it does during the week. I normally will make stuff over the weekend but hold on to until Monday or Tuesday.

For some reason the market tends to get flooded with these things on Friday and Saturday (not sure about Sunday-I don't play that day) .
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

wainot-keel
06.09.2014 , 12:22 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
I've noticed that this happens more so over the weekend than it does during the week. I normally will make stuff over the weekend but hold on to until Monday or Tuesday.

For some reason the market tends to get flooded with these things on Friday and Saturday (not sure about Sunday-I don't play that day) .
Yup, I get my creds with augments mostly, and all types seem to fall in price during the weekends. I usually hold my sells and I list my stuff between Tuesday and Friday.