Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advanced Augment 28s constantly selling for less than they take to make?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Advanced Augment 28s constantly selling for less than they take to make?

georgemattson
02.19.2014 , 07:20 PM | #1
I'm definitely not complaining about this in any way, shape, or form, as I find I make a profit by selling my mats and letting someone else make the augments that I'd normally have to make myself, but it seems like thermal regulators on Pot5 are pretty consistently going for around 20k or thereabouts, and purple 28 augments are pretty consistently selling for 75-78k. Since I tend to be pretty good at math, that's a 2-5k loss for every purple 28 augment sold, even when not counting all the other materials and the time spent in making these.

Anyone have any idea why this seems to be consistently the case, other than rampant drug use or higher level brain function disabilities among the crafting population?

It's pretty funny, but this has been going on long enough to be weird...
Meh. Liking Age of Conan again...

lironBD
02.19.2014 , 07:38 PM | #2
I'm going to be rude here but it's a proof Darwin was right!

I'm playing Eve online from time to time and big lesson I've learned there is "nothing is free". There are no free masts and nothing! The only thing which is to consider is potential income.

I guess the human waste which sells under the price of mats sells it because the critted and got free copy BUT!! if they would have just traded the extra copy for mats and sold them they could have made more money.
By selling under-price instead of keeping price levels they screw all crafters.

In the past I could sell 31 armoring\mods around 900k-1.2 mil on gtn today I saw some ppl selling 31 armoring for 600K!!!! Much less then the price of ISOTOPE-5 and Mass manipulator alone not including other mats and the time it took you to actually craft it which you could use your companion to craft something else.
Europe -> The Red Ecplipse
Oracans-> Sith Pureblood Inquisitor Sorcerer

MaximilianPower
02.19.2014 , 09:23 PM | #3
It's silly, for sure. The crafters probably aren't losing money per se, assuming they have a slicer or two to supply the TRs. And they get some crits here and there, increasing their overall profits. But, yeah, they should probably be selling those TRs outright instead of bothering to craft the augments.

This is not the case on my server (JC), at least for the popular augs (mostly mainstat), which is largely what I've been crafting of late. Pricing fluctuates from a low of around 95k up to around 110k, depending on the day of the week. It's possible less popular augs (like surge or presence) are selling in that 80k range, I haven't checked them in a while. But if those mainstat aug prices ever dropped to the levels you're seeing, there's absolutely no way I'd stay in the aug market. Selling straight mats would make way more sense, since otherwise I'd be relying on crits to make up the difference - and I hate betting creds on RNG.
Hey, Barsen'thor Bill
What did you kill
Barsen'thor Bill

Zuckerkorn TøbiasFünke Jedi Covenant
The Nevernude Legacy: firing railguns up enemy tailpipes since 2013

georgemattson
02.19.2014 , 09:59 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
It's silly, for sure. The crafters probably aren't losing money per se, assuming they have a slicer or two to supply the TRs. And they get some crits here and there, increasing their overall profits. But, yeah, they should probably be selling those TRs outright instead of bothering to craft the augments.

This is not the case on my server (JC), at least for the popular augs (mostly mainstat), which is largely what I've been crafting of late. Pricing fluctuates from a low of around 95k up to around 110k, depending on the day of the week. It's possible less popular augs (like surge or presence) are selling in that 80k range, I haven't checked them in a while. But if those mainstat aug prices ever dropped to the levels you're seeing, there's absolutely no way I'd stay in the aug market. Selling straight mats would make way more sense, since otherwise I'd be relying on crits to make up the difference - and I hate betting creds on RNG.
Well, right at present, there are 22 pages of Overkill, Might, Reflex, Skill, Resolve, and various "trash" purple augments between 72 and 79k on Pot5. From what I recall, this is pretty much par for the course, as well.

There are six pages of Thermal Regulators, with the lowest price being 19,475, with 21 total TRs selling (one each) between that price and 20k. I posted something like 28 or so earlier today (left myself a bunch), and they went QUICK.

So... I'm doing the math here:

(Average costs that I've seen on Pot5)
2 x Corundum Power = 1.2k
4 x Thermal Regulator = 80k
2 x Carbonic Crystal = 3k
2 x Primordial Artifact Fragment = 4k
Total cost = 88.2k
Average augment sale cost = 76k

...and I'm thinking two things:

1.) The drug use on Pot5 has got to be pretty rampant.
2.) I need to stop sitting on my mats and start selling.
Meh. Liking Age of Conan again...

Khevar
02.19.2014 , 10:24 PM | #5
I've run into the same thing myself.

I've can understand why some mats can get pricey, like Turadium. It's used for 3 crafting professions, and many schematics ask for 4 units for every 2 Mythra. So it tends to be scarcer, thus price goes up. Logical.

But Thermal Regulators can only be used to craft augments. Its a mystery to me why people will buy TRs to craft augments if it's cheaper to just buy the finished augments directly.

Go figure.

akabane_k
02.20.2014 , 12:34 AM | #6
the chance of a crit is included in the price. 20% crit gives 76*1.2=91.2 average revenue from 1 augments worth of material. so on average a 3k profit per augment. not much, but still positive.

IsapientiaI
02.20.2014 , 12:42 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
So... I'm doing the math here:

(Average costs that I've seen on Pot5)
2 x Corundum Power = 1.2k
4 x Thermal Regulator = 80k
2 x Carbonic Crystal = 3k
2 x Primordial Artifact Fragment = 4k
Total cost = 88.2k
Average augment sale cost = 76k
You undervalue crits. A good crafter has a crit-chance of ~25% (depending on companions)
Taking your numbers:
material costs: 88,2k for one production
outcome: 1,25 augments
outcome sell-price: 1,25*76k=95k
discounting 6% GTN sell-tax: 95k*0,94=89,3k
profit per augment: 89,3-88,2=1,1

So there is at least a profit of 1,1k per piece to make (plus you overvalue green's and white's which you can gain a lot cheaper by crew-missions). So tell me who is taking drug's?
Sapientia
Der Orden der Weisen
Vanjervalis Chain [EU]

lironBD
02.20.2014 , 02:27 AM | #8
that crafter.

Kill 1 group of mobs on hoth heroic area > 2000 credits.

why all the hassle with crafting if you are not making huge profit to justify the effort?

I'll craft for 2 reasons:
1. Stuff for my alts.
2. Sell and make large amounts of money.

If I need to work on 3 crew skills then craft something for an hour only to make 1 k ? why?
Europe -> The Red Ecplipse
Oracans-> Sith Pureblood Inquisitor Sorcerer

Marius_Xerxes
02.20.2014 , 03:36 AM | #9
Don't look at only the cost of thermal regs. Look into the cost of 450 slicing missions as well.

Anyone making less then 10-15k per augment (on the low end), before factoring in crits on the crafting side, is doing it wrong.

DataBeaver
02.20.2014 , 06:13 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by IsapientiaI View Post
plus you overvalue green's and white's which you can gain a lot cheaper by crew-missions
There's this thing called opportunity cost. It doesn't matter if you got them for free from a gathering node - if you use the materials to craft something, you forfeit the opportunity to sell them as they are. If the materials cost 4k on the GTN, then the opportunity cost of using them is 4k.

It's precisely the same thing that's being discussed about thermal regulators here. The cheapest way to acquire those is to run lockbox missions for slicing mission discoveries, then run those at TRs with very close to zero overall cost. It just takes some time and luck.