Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Mine Sweeper Class Ship?


bigbobsr's Avatar


bigbobsr
02.19.2014 , 12:16 PM | #1
Maybe built on the lines of a Bomber but with drone destroying capabilities? Or have the current Bombers have a counter drone ability as one of the secondary weapons choice? Drones that target enemy drones? EMP missiles that actually destroy enemy drones in X radius? These missiles would be limited only to the Mine Sweeper ship or refitted Bomber class. Or a different type of ship?

Any other ideas along these lines? Please discuss.
█||||||||()Ξ████████████████████████████████)

BrianDavion's Avatar


BrianDavion
02.19.2014 , 12:22 PM | #2
novadives with EMP pulse and Pikes with emp missiles already fill this role

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
02.19.2014 , 12:25 PM | #3
I've thought of a class (but haven't a name of it) that would be dedicated for "electronic warfare", specializing in EMP type of weapons, and energy crippling systems, in the lines of slicer loop or Ion weapons drains.
But at the cost of having limited power/surviability, and of course a change to Ion weapons so that they're purely dedicated to Shield disabling.

Zoom_VI's Avatar


Zoom_VI
02.19.2014 , 12:34 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
I've thought of a class (but haven't a name of it) that would be dedicated for "electronic warfare", specializing in EMP type of weapons, and energy crippling systems, in the lines of slicer loop or Ion weapons drains.
But at the cost of having limited power/surviability, and of course a change to Ion weapons so that they're purely dedicated to Shield disabling.
This sounds a aweful lot like a CC ship, which I would rather not be introduced. If I get shot down I want it to be because I got outflown not because they stunlocked me to death.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

bigbobsr's Avatar


bigbobsr
02.19.2014 , 12:42 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
novadives with EMP pulse and Pikes with emp missiles already fill this role
EMP does not totally destroy all drones in the burst area. The Minesweeper ones would. EMP pulse does not destroy drones only disables them for a short time. EMP pulse on Minesweeper would destroy them in X radius.
█||||||||()Ξ████████████████████████████████)

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
02.19.2014 , 12:50 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
This sounds a aweful lot like a CC ship, which I would rather not be introduced. If I get shot down I want it to be because I got outflown not because they stunlocked me to death.
I know it sounds awful. And it would be if made badly.
CCs/debuffs are always hard to balance, most of the time it's either OP, or useless. But the same goes to buffer type of classes.
If the command-class ships that I heard about (rumors) really comes into the game some day and is a buffer-type ship, then it would need a proper counter, a debuffer.

That aside, it was only the result of my thinking of "what other role could exist". Not a wish.

Armonddd's Avatar


Armonddd
02.19.2014 , 03:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
I know it sounds awful. And it would be if made badly.
CCs/debuffs are always hard to balance, most of the time it's either OP, or useless.
Nah, the bigger problem is that CC isn't fun.

Quote:
But the same goes to buffer type of classes.
If the command-class ships that I heard about (rumors) really comes into the game some day and is a buffer-type ship, then it would need a proper counter, a debuffer.
The counter to buffed enemies is killing them. Best debuff in the game. And a command ship (which is probably rumors and not going to happen, unless swtor_miner posted something without my noticing [very possible, I'll admit]) would ostensibly only buff things while alive. Like bomber drones, once it dies, its buffs will likely vanish.

Quote:
That aside, it was only the result of my thinking of "what other role could exist". Not a wish.
I can definitely get behind that. Have you heard about the interceptor class we're supposed to get in a few months?

I think it says something, though, when "what roles could we introduce" turns into "let's make a ship that does nothing but counter a ship with silly mechanics".
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
02.19.2014 , 03:11 PM | #8
Seriously, the drones explode when you shoot them. Stop being terrified of the Railgun, it's made of paper and the mines, the mines don't oneshot anyone. You can boost to a Railgun drone and shoot it down before it fires.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

Zoom_VI's Avatar


Zoom_VI
02.19.2014 , 03:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Seriously, the drones explode when you shoot them. Stop being terrified of the Railgun, it's made of paper and the mines, the mines don't oneshot anyone. You can boost to a Railgun drone and shoot it down before it fires.
Railgun is the worst option, it doesn't have a second weapon, its damage per shot isn't great for its cooldown time.

Interdiction mine is way scarier. It drops speed and turning down to nothing and its armed with a secondary weapon.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
02.19.2014 , 03:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Railgun is the worst option, it doesn't have a second weapon, its damage per shot isn't great for its cooldown time.

Interdiction mine is way scarier. It drops speed and turning down to nothing and its armed with a secondary weapon.
And it's still made of paper.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.