Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do people actually like deathmatch?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Do people actually like deathmatch?

psandak
02.14.2014 , 06:32 PM | #11
I like TDM for all the reasons already noted.

Applejacxs
02.14.2014 , 06:45 PM | #12
I like it when everyone wants to go strikes and scouts and just get it on that way.

I hate when its just gunships and bomber heavy.

BrianDavion
02.14.2014 , 06:46 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Applejacxs View Post
I like it when everyone wants to go strikes and scouts and just get it on that way.

I hate when its just gunships and bomber heavy.
agreed.

there's something to be said for a good old fashioned furball

codycroft
02.14.2014 , 07:12 PM | #14
Lol, I love Death Match and love bomber heavy death match, gives me a reason to level up the Pike.

OscarDivine
02.14.2014 , 09:21 PM | #15
Love it!

MCaliban
02.14.2014 , 09:46 PM | #16
I love deathmatches.

In domination mode, I often had to guard the satellite because most of my team was running around the map like idiots. Deathmatches allow me to run around the map like an idiot.

Last night while TAB cycling, I found that a gunship and two scouts were targeting me for some reason. For three minutes, I managed to evade them while swooping through fights and pew-pewing at whomever my team was attacking.

I ended the match with the most kills, most assists, and second most damage.

Twas great fun.
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.

Delta_V
02.14.2014 , 09:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
agreed.

there's something to be said for a good old fashioned furball
Yeah, Deathmatch is awesome as long as it doesn't devolve into 6+ gunships per side, then it just gets stupid. Matches w/ ~2 each gunships and bombers are about perfect imo - there are still 8 strikes/scouts per side, and dogfights are still possible.

Oh, and that Damage Overcharge needs to either get nerfed into the ground, or die in a fire. Or both. Right now it's just a stupidly OP "I Win" button, where you can get it and kill 5 people in 5 seconds. A 10-20% damage buff would be fine, but the current "turn damned near any laser into a 2-shot" is... not.

I'd say the Engine Overcharge is just about perfect balance-wise (you go out of your way to pick it up, but it refills your engines so you can get back in the fight), Weapon Overcharge is decent because it refills missiles (incredibly valuable for some ships), but Shield Overcharge could use a little buff (you end up wasting some of the buff duration just getting back to the fight)

-Streven-
02.15.2014 , 03:23 PM | #18
Yeah damage overcharge is insane.

DamascusAdontise
02.15.2014 , 03:34 PM | #19
If I am grouped I generally love TDM

If I am solo id rather play Dom

In TDM a well built team can turtle with gunships and bombers, with scouts n strikes traveling no less than a few km away from the nest before trying to bait people back into GS range. This tactic can be beat with a competent team working together, but in a solo match where not everyone is where they are supposed to be it can be intractable.

This can be done still in Dom as well, but at least there are three nodes to get points from and you can always switch nodes or focus a lightly defended node. With TDM when a team turtles it can be very very difficult to earn any points, especially if they get a lead and then all of them play conservatively.

So I guess my experience mirrors others, it can be fun or it can be a chore depending on who your respective teams are (ship makeup and pilot ability etc) in general I like TDM but I still prefer Dom (in almost any situation)

DroidDreamer
02.15.2014 , 04:29 PM | #20
I didn't think I would like it as much because I always favor objective-based play to the derp derp of just killing each other but GSF deathmatch is a lot of fun. Setting aside (1) gunship heaving matches and (2) matches where your scrubby teammates Rambo ahead and feed the enemy kills, death match mode can be just as strategic as domination because it really require ps your team to work together and stick together. Gunships provide long range cover. Bombers feel way more like the support role they should occupy. And fighters and scouts have plenty of dogfighting fur ball chances.

My favorite strategy is to provide repair drone support and perimeter support with mines and drones to a gunship or other bomber. You can build a nest right out in space and the asteroids provide lots of LOS terrain if you need it.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.