Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game Update 2.7 Sentinel Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight > Sentinel
Game Update 2.7 Sentinel Changes

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AngusFTW
02.14.2014 , 07:12 AM | #71
Since they keep on wanting to change the RNG elements of other classes (vigilance masterstrike reset, now sages). I can't help but think that they should do a similar thing for Mind Seer proc, it would be a solid dps boost in pve for watchman.
EG slash/merciless slash builds up stacks of a buff of some sort and 2 or 3 stacks resets the cd on cauterize.

It just seems logical since it seems to be the way they are going with class changes atm xD
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
55s.
Bleezar, Bleezár. Bleezlórd. Bleezard. Bleezford, Bleeznaut, Bleezfatt,
Lowbies
Bleezbian, Bleezguard, Bleezdian

vid
twitch

SBR_QuorTek
02.14.2014 , 10:03 AM | #72
Honestly, it is fine, there is no balance in having that stuff apply to everyone anyway, as for the comments about other classes, they all had a nerf to their aoe, and there is not supposed to be some extreme AOE spec for any class anyway, some classes/specs has more than others for presenting aoe to their foes.

Focus spec is the force spec, like assault spec for vanguards are the tech spec. and could go on and on and on about that.

as for reference... on my vanguard, commando, merc I would not mind being able to target someone and then hit mortar volley instead of having to place it, would be a HUGE update if could have it like that and not having to place some telegraph somewhere on the map losing performance lol.

SO yeah you wont be able to apply all the **** to 5 foes at a time, but still be able to aoe it down, no reason why something instantly should lose 60% of their HP weather it is a mob or player anyway, the stuff for aoe is getting toned down, but the skill in playing each class persist, if you rely on something that is just too easy expect it to be messed with sooner or later anyway, without... you will see if you are actually a good player or not anyway as it is, it is what it all comes down to.

As for watchman, no need of a buff DPS wise they do really fine, same for combat, the procs can be controlled and maintained and only one proc gotta be maintained anyway, the one for bladestorm anyway untill its unlocked for a guarentied crit, not difficult to learn, mastery is another thing.

Now mastery comes down to learn how to actually master focus spec, and think in other directions for that, maybe it has been played all wrong the entire time, people often fail to see those things or get blinded by too easy stuff and take it for granted, nothing is supposed for being taken granted, personally I play all roles in this game myself, seen 'nerfs' all the time onto the classes I play, but never really cared about it, hey if some hybrid spec is getting bashed it is because that is how it is supposed not to be viable as a playstyle.

Just to mention a few thoughts to everything.... me myself am a combat spec sentinel for most of the time, but also playing the other classes, am the most progressive with my sent though, and even because this or that its still a very nice class to play, if you understand in how to master it the way it is supposed to be.
Support the Iconic Starwars way is all I can say, support Planet side stuff as well as Serious space content posibilities, don't be a one way person... go after perfection.

Bejarid
02.14.2014 , 10:58 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by AngusFTW View Post
It just seems logical since it seems to be the way they are going with class changes atm xD
If any Sentinel spec needs less RNG, it certainly is not Watchman; there's just the one proc for the Cauterize reset and that's it. Watchman's pretty stable rotationally, so if they want to reduce some RNG, it's gotta be for Combat. I'm not lobbying for it, mind, as I like the way Combat plays, but it is far more RNG dependent than Watchman.

djkalashnikov
02.14.2014 , 11:04 AM | #74
These adjustments are still subject to change, and we will continue to review how this affects gameplay, but we wanted to let you know what was coming up in 2.7.

Ya so just go ahead and don't change anything. Honestly going to remove another spec from pvp . you guys have ****ed up enough so how about you fix the useless and non-viable specs for pvp before breaking more than you already have.
Removing Focus builds from pvp is what you are doing here and removing dps guardian/juggs. Seriously fix the broken **** and stop breaking more.
Yeah Buddy

SBR_QuorTek
02.14.2014 , 11:10 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by djkalashnikov View Post
These adjustments are still subject to change, and we will continue to review how this affects gameplay, but we wanted to let you know what was coming up in 2.7.

Ya so just go ahead and don't change anything. Honestly going to remove another spec from pvp . you guys have ****ed up enough so how about you fix the useless and non-viable specs for pvp before breaking more than you already have.
Removing Focus builds from pvp is what you are doing here and removing dps guardian/juggs. Seriously fix the broken **** and stop breaking more.
In my opinion they give you time to actually learn your spec to know and maybe change certain gear pieces as well before it goes live, they have already mentioned that they are going to rule out hybrid specs as well anyway as well, so stick to which would work, not what is supposed to be OP, as it is it seem like every class is getting their AOE attacks toned down in one way or another.
Support the Iconic Starwars way is all I can say, support Planet side stuff as well as Serious space content posibilities, don't be a one way person... go after perfection.

AngusFTW
02.14.2014 , 11:14 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Bejarid View Post
If any Sentinel spec needs less RNG, it certainly is not Watchman; there's just the one proc for the Cauterize reset and that's it. Watchman's pretty stable rotationally, so if they want to reduce some RNG, it's gotta be for Combat. I'm not lobbying for it, mind, as I like the way Combat plays, but it is far more RNG dependent than Watchman.
Well ye i like both specs i would rather they had a nice steady spec without the need for much rng in watchman, they're changing alot of other specs like that to be less dependent on rng so i don't see why they shouldn't and the rng crazy burst spec for combat so you can do what you want depending on mood. It would also give the dps increase needed for watchman to be in the place it needs to be IMO.

If they'd have wanted combat to be any different they wouldn't have changed it come patch 2.0
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
55s.
Bleezar, Bleezár. Bleezlórd. Bleezard. Bleezford, Bleeznaut, Bleezfatt,
Lowbies
Bleezbian, Bleezguard, Bleezdian

vid
twitch

Bejarid
02.14.2014 , 11:53 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by AngusFTW View Post
It would also give the dps increase needed for watchman to be in the place it needs to be IMO.
...Wasn't Watchman/Annihilation already top-parsing Sentinel spec prior to the surge in popularity of DoTSmash for parsing purposes? Watchman is already really stable rotationally with just the one proc; Combat technically has three, if we count Ataru Form strikes, and those Ataru hits can work counter to the entire spec. If, at the very beginning of the fight, I Leap->ZS[Ataru proc->HoJ], I'm out my second PS window before I even go into the first, completely screwing up my rotation; rare bit of horrible RNG, but it can, and does, occur. If Cauterize doesn't proc immediately after the ICD, yeah, it sucks, but it's not going to tank your damage like losing a PS window does for Combat.

Vodrin
02.14.2014 , 12:42 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Bejarid View Post
I think watchman could use a method of pre-stacking Juyo and Merciless for PvP and the DoT's should be uncleansable, but that is about it.

SwordEmpire
02.14.2014 , 02:43 PM | #79
I think that focus needed a nerf, but this is just too extreme of one. my biggest gripe however is that the changes they put in place effect how force sweep works for all jedi knight builds, effectively removing our only ability to take somebody out of stealth. If they are doing this need for target thing for force sweep to make sure that that is the target that will receive the majority of damage then fine, but that isnt an issue for all the other specs where the damage difference for primary and secondary targets are the same. so why not have the need for a target on force sweep stanced locked to shii-cho form. there is no need to punish every other spec just because people dont like focus.
Member of <Jedi High Council> of The Harbinger

Armodues Grimlock, 55 Jedi Guardian

Dyvim
02.14.2014 , 03:47 PM | #80
Im sure that the target selected restriction is because they have to use a shortcut to figure out if they are dealing with another player or npcs in order to nerf the damage.

Now, I will say it again. You are removing the AOE from the aoe spec. You are also killing the ONE skill that the WHOLE TREE is built around. I'll repeat that...THE WHOLE TREE IS NOW DEAD. I'll also restate this obvious fact, HOW could you figure out that it would kill the spec in PvE (so you exempt PvE) but not PvP???

Here is another fact. You are KILLING the value of the skill points spent. ALOT of them.

Swelling winds - 2
Felling Blow - 2
Singularity - 3
and it also nerfs force exhaustion since its synergy was granting stacks of singularity. These aren't the only boxes (Zephyrean Slash lessens sweeps cooldown) involved...again, THE WHOLE TREE is built around ONE ability....SWEEP.

So with ONE SET of NERFS delivered at ONE TIME, you are nerfing at LEAST FOUR talent point boxes and reducing the value, dramatically of 8 or more talent points. That is ridiculous. That is overkill. Also, lets not forget, Slingers/Snipers, Sorcs/Sages, Shadows/Sins and Mando/Mercs ALL have specs that put up damage numbers that are equivalent or greater than the focus spec...And while we are handing out reminders, this is a SOLELY DPS CLASS...it SHOULD BE at the top end of dps, especially since it has all the problems of a melee class with a BUILDING resource mechanic.

BETTER SOLUTION:

In PvP, reduce the number of affected targets to 3 or 4 instead of 5. In PvE leave it at 5 of course. Frankly, there needs to be a mechanic that penalizes players that cluster. This is one of them. People complain about lolsmash...ok, is that more lol, than lol clustered lemmings? Plus look at all the mechanics that are designed to work against melee and sweep...all the stuns, knockbacks, and range gaining skills....plus the idea of simply not clustering since it only has a 5 m range.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...