Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Boiling Point!

branmakmuffin
02.24.2014 , 11:11 AM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
LOLWUT? I craft stuff all the time. Each time I make something, it costs me zero credits. What crafting cost money sink?
It does take creds out of the game to run the missions for mats or to buy the "white" mats from a vendor. And if you buy them off the GTN, the seller gets "taxed."

DarthTHC
02.24.2014 , 11:13 AM | #192
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
It does take creds out of the game to run the missions for mats or to buy the "white" mats from a vendor. And if you buy them off the GTN, the seller gets "taxed."
But he didn't say materials.

branmakmuffin
02.24.2014 , 11:16 AM | #193
Well, sure, if you focus on just the literal crafting, that costs nothing, not even tool repair costs (as in some games) or the chance of failure and wasting the mats (as in others). Edit: In TOR, there's not even the "cost" of forgoing questing and the creds/gold not earned from said non questing.

Khevar
02.24.2014 , 02:11 PM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by Mortelus View Post
... The CM blurs the economy because it gives everyone a chance to be extremely rich with little effort. ...
There's a very important aspect of this you're not taking into account.

The buyers of the CM items, where are they getting their money from?

(Note that this also applies to expensive NON Cartel Market items (e.g. crafted grade 31 gear). Players buy this gear off of the GTN. Where are they getting their money from?)

The primary source of credits in this game is dailies.

You take a level 55, and they can breeze through the daily areas and make plenty of credits. "Created out of thin air" credits as it were. A halfway decent player with halfway decent gear is unlikely to wipe while running said dailies, so repair costs at the end will be minimal. Making money without running dailies is primarily accomplished by selling things to people who do run them.

The player who buys Cartel Market stuff for dollars and sells it on the GTN does convert cash to credits super quick, with minimal effort, that is true. But you have to remember that SOMEONE ELSE actually did put in effort to manufacture those credits by doing actual in-game activities.

The CM only shortcuts the process for the person who paid cash. The buyer either spent hours running quests for credits, OR sold something valuable to others who did.

Time and effort of actually playing the game is still required to make credits. Whether or not the CM exists.

TANSTAAFL.

Mortelus
02.24.2014 , 05:12 PM | #195
Again being pedantic I see. Crafting in literal terms is the creating of items in the game through... crafting, to do that you need to run missions and buy schematics, All of which costs money and goes straight out of the game.

Does everyone who speaks on here need to be absolutely perfectly accurate with their wording for you to understand. In RL most people generalize and it isn't an issue, seems here we have way to many overly educated linguists.
Who has time? But then if we never take time, how can we ever have time?
The Merv.
If you have time and want free time click >>> http://www.swtor.com/r/8TbfwG

Mortelus
02.24.2014 , 05:16 PM | #196
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
There's a very important aspect of this you're not taking into account.

The buyers of the CM items, where are they getting their money from?

(Note that this also applies to expensive NON Cartel Market items (e.g. crafted grade 31 gear). Players buy this gear off of the GTN. Where are they getting their money from?)

The primary source of credits in this game is dailies.

You take a level 55, and they can breeze through the daily areas and make plenty of credits. "Created out of thin air" credits as it were. A halfway decent player with halfway decent gear is unlikely to wipe while running said dailies, so repair costs at the end will be minimal. Making money without running dailies is primarily accomplished by selling things to people who do run them.

The player who buys Cartel Market stuff for dollars and sells it on the GTN does convert cash to credits super quick, with minimal effort, that is true. But you have to remember that SOMEONE ELSE actually did put in effort to manufacture those credits by doing actual in-game activities.

The CM only shortcuts the process for the person who paid cash. The buyer either spent hours running quests for credits, OR sold something valuable to others who did.

Time and effort of actually playing the game is still required to make credits. Whether or not the CM exists.

TANSTAAFL.
I understand this, and it is a natural progression of MMO's. However I stand by the CM keeping more credits in game, and that anyone can make millions in a flash. Which saturates the market even more with credits. Maybe in my mind it was more extreme than reality.
Who has time? But then if we never take time, how can we ever have time?
The Merv.
If you have time and want free time click >>> http://www.swtor.com/r/8TbfwG

Khevar
02.24.2014 , 07:04 PM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by Mortelus View Post
I understand this, and it is a natural progression of MMO's. However I stand by the CM keeping more credits in game, and that anyone can make millions in a flash. Which saturates the market even more with credits. Maybe in my mind it was more extreme than reality.
You may be right. I suppose the proliferation of rare things in packs may have prompted more people to run dailies to buy them.