Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gunships Fleeing to Carriers


Korithras's Avatar


Korithras
02.10.2014 , 03:52 PM | #1
This is a problem, and I'm sick of it. Not only are gunships one of the most OP and unbalanced ships in the game, (sorry but let's face it, the most fun matches have been the ones where there are few or no gunships and it's just pure dogfighting with scouts and strike fighters) but the <insert a number of colorful expletives here> gunship pilots always run for their carrier so that they won't get killed. This needs to stop, and it needs to stop now.

Have the carrier's guns fire on anybody who goes back to the ship, friend or foe. Or have it be so that once you've left the spawning area trying to go back there is like entering the exhaustion zone and counts as a suicide (and in a deathmatch should count as a point to the enemy team to really discourage pilots from doing this) I don't know, but do something Bioware, and do it fast. Because I'm sick of this crap.

Verain's Avatar


Verain
02.10.2014 , 04:02 PM | #2
"Because my ship maneuvers better, any gunship I ever see ever at all should die and have nowhere to run and that would be fun for me and totally fair completely totally."

Signed, Every Bad Sting Pilot


PS: I ran into cap ship turrets today and that was totally not my fault!

NotThatOne's Avatar


NotThatOne
02.10.2014 , 04:12 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
"Because my ship maneuvers better, any gunship I ever see ever at all should die and have nowhere to run and that would be fun for me and totally fair completely totally."

Signed, Every Bad Sting Pilot


PS: I ran into cap ship turrets today and that was totally not my fault!
^ This
Animal-mutha, 55 Combat Medic
<Black Squadron>
POT5

Nemarus's Avatar


Nemarus
02.10.2014 , 04:22 PM | #4
First, I fly every class of ship, so I like to think I have no agenda or bias.

That being said, I do not think the issue here is that a Gunship flees back to a capital ship to evade death. I do it in my Gunship, and I do it Blackbolt too.

In my Blackbolt, fleeing to my capital ship means I survive, but it also means I spend some time not-killing. To resume killing, I have to move out of the area of protection.

The issue is that, unlike every other ship, Gunships have enough range that they can continue to attack while in the umbrella of protection. It's a reasonable thing to cry foul over, regardless of whether you have a favorite ship or not. No one should be able to contribute offense while not being at risk of retaliation.
Shayd/Callem - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Sangrar's Avatar


Sangrar
02.10.2014 , 04:24 PM | #5
just don't follow them, in deathmatches get your team to move away from the other ship so that team has to go away from their ship if they want kills, and also, it makes no sense if your own ship fires on you, at the most put that screwy afk system that marks you afk while in combat (I have video evidence) and instead apply it to the area at and near capital ships! Seriously, and any ship other than the bomber can outrun a gunship easily, and I have seen other ships use this so stop saying its just gunships!
[Bastion]Guildmaster<Galactic Saviors>-War Hero Spaceboomer-55 Commando/Captain Starforce-55 Scoundrel/Darth Caddar-55 Juggernaut/Lord Brakaras-32 Assassin/Master Teckan-38 Sage/Firefighter-27 Powertech/Nightprowler-13 Sniper
refferal link for returning players and free character transfer and free inventory slot

Verain's Avatar


Verain
02.10.2014 , 04:28 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
The issue is that, unlike every other ship, Gunships have enough range that they can continue to attack while in the umbrella of protection.
Continue to attack whom? Spawn campers?

My heart bleeds.


If you are near the enemy cap ship, it's either because you have some strange revenge agenda, or because you are dominating them so hard that why not be there? In the first case, no, you shouldn't get to camp the spawn. In the second case, no, you shouldn't get to camp the spawn any better than you already can.

The gunship isn't helping his team on that cap ship, and has no one to shoot. If he has someone to shoot, that person isn't helping his team either, and probably deserves that bypass slug crit.

He isn't 'contributing to offense" by ANY stretch of the imagination.

Sangrar's Avatar


Sangrar
02.10.2014 , 04:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
The issue is that, unlike every other ship, Gunships have enough range that they can continue to attack while in the umbrella of protection. It's a reasonable thing to cry foul over, regardless of whether you have a favorite ship or not. No one should be able to contribute offense while not being at risk of retaliation.
This is not an issue in domination however. The gunship is not nearly close enough to the nodes to do anything, therefore they are not contributing a single bit to offense, if they are firing on ships from the capital ship at that point it means the other team is attempting to spawn cap the gunships team of which is the only possible way a gunship, from a capital ship, can have any kind of offensive capability in a domination match

As for deathmatch, get your team to move away from the capital ship so if the other team is using the capital ship turrets as cover, they will be forced to come out to get you. But anyway, gunships are still a large enough distance from the battle that from the capital ship they are not able to contribute to offense like you say
[Bastion]Guildmaster<Galactic Saviors>-War Hero Spaceboomer-55 Commando/Captain Starforce-55 Scoundrel/Darth Caddar-55 Juggernaut/Lord Brakaras-32 Assassin/Master Teckan-38 Sage/Firefighter-27 Powertech/Nightprowler-13 Sniper
refferal link for returning players and free character transfer and free inventory slot

-Streven-'s Avatar


-Streven-
02.10.2014 , 04:45 PM | #8
Nerf, nerf , nerf! Derp, derp derp! Nerf, nerf, nerf!

We need a special forum on swtor.com where all the rage quitters can post. Oh wait, we do, it's called Galactic Starfighter.

Sangrar's Avatar


Sangrar
02.10.2014 , 05:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by -Streven- View Post
Nerf, nerf , nerf! Derp, derp derp! Nerf, nerf, nerf!

We need a special forum on swtor.com where all the rage quitters can post. Oh wait, we do, it's called Galactic Starfighter.
hey don't forget the PVP forums!!!
[Bastion]Guildmaster<Galactic Saviors>-War Hero Spaceboomer-55 Commando/Captain Starforce-55 Scoundrel/Darth Caddar-55 Juggernaut/Lord Brakaras-32 Assassin/Master Teckan-38 Sage/Firefighter-27 Powertech/Nightprowler-13 Sniper
refferal link for returning players and free character transfer and free inventory slot

Korithras's Avatar


Korithras
02.10.2014 , 06:43 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
The issue is that, unlike every other ship, Gunships have enough range that they can continue to attack while in the umbrella of protection. It's a reasonable thing to cry foul over, regardless of whether you have a favorite ship or not. No one should be able to contribute offense while not being at risk of retaliation.
This. The fact that they can sit in safety and keep on fighting. Either penalize players for flying back to the carrier, or shorten the range on the gunship. Pick one. :P

Added in Edit: Or we could just remove the guns from the spawn carriers altogether. :P