Sage dps in PVE

colemanron

Sage dpsers have been rather unpopular in high end raids for quiete some time now, due to a number of reasons. The lack of utilities (the abilities coming with having a healer tree are fairly useless in intances where enrage timer is a thing, even though cleansing lately became actually useful), the lack of defensive cooldowns and passive defenses thus requiring more babysitting from healers than any other class, and most importantly the lacking damage compared to other class(es) made Sages undesirable in high end raids. Of course nerfing the ability that made Gunslingers overpowered for so long helped the latter quiete a bit, and so did the reduced spell pushback, I personally think there is more work to be done with the class before it will be back on the wanted list.

Telekinetics

As far as sustained dps goes, the Telekinetics tree is in a perfect spot. It bursts when it needs to, it AoEs when it wants to and it has amazing sustained dps for a spec built for burst. However it needs a tad more help to be able to apply it's damage to actual boss fights, because dummy numbers alone are simply not enough.

Spell pushback: Upping the pushback reduction on Disturbance to 100% is definitely a step in the right direction, but it is not enough. I personally think pushback should be just gone from all rotational abilities of all dps specs completely, as it seems stupid to gimp only 2 classes out of 8 by it. However even if it needs to stay in-game, I want to specify, having 0% a.k.a. no pushback protection at all on rotational abilities is a nono, and TK has two abilities it applies for.

Mind Crush needs at least the same protection Turbulence and Telekinetic Wave gets from the Concentration talent, wich means 70%. The ability currently gains 75% protection from the Psychic Barrier talent in the Balance tree, which is completely unnecessary, as Balance sages are not supposed to hardcast Mind Crush except for maybe precasting before the beginning of a fight, in other words, when there is no damage going around. It could be just moved from one talent to another based on both specializations needs.

Telekinetic Throw should not be inculded to Concentration, as it's use in TK would not justify it, however channeling it in 1,5 second with 0% pushback protection means a random hit can easily make 50% of its damage disappear. Which is why the Psychic Projection proc in my opinion should grant 100% pushback immunity on the cast consuming the proc, thus making the ability more reliable.

In my opinion these small QoL changes alone could turn TK into a good raiding spec.

Balance

Balance seemingly is going to need a bit more love to be able to take it's supposed place as the main raiding spec of all Sages. It lacks both QoL features and raw damage.

Sustained DPS: As the dps leaderboards clearly show it, Balance is actually behind TK as far as sustained, uninterrupted damage goes under ideal circumstances. According to Bioware's previous statements the specs operating with dots are supposed to be ahead on sustained damage in exchange for having lower burst, but currently this is not the case for Sages.

To fix this I would suggest to give Balance sages the same execute talent Shadows using the shared tree already have. That alone could probably make up for the bulk of the dps for the spec to be able fall in its place in comparison to TK. Also this change could help in PVP too, as it is well known that Balance sages are severely lacking in the burst department whenever their cooldowns are not available, and it could make them more capable of dealing with healers or opponents being healed.

Quality of Life: As far as QoL goes, Balance has four very specific issues, all tied to each other very closely.

As things stand right now the Presence of Mind proc is way too unreliable. It should be used on two different spells in every single 15 second rotation, and TK Throw in the bulk of the time will only be casted three times in every 15 seconds. In other words if the first cast won't give a proc, its a significant risk to take wether to consume the proc coming from the second cast on a Disturbance and risk not having it when MC comes off cooldown, or save it up and possibly overwrite with another, losing dps in the process.

I think a good solution would be to allow PoM to be stacked up to two, allowing Disturance to be used more reliably and more often in the rotation, and by this upping the sustained dps further, turning Balance into the go-to spec for fights where sustained single target dps is the key.

Telekinetic Focal Point has a 15 second uptime which feels too short, fairly often it can fall off even midfight while maintaining a good rotation. Due to the above detailed issue Disturbance currently cannot be used often enough to keep the buff up 100% of the time, and TK Throw's proc chance seems to be too low to be reliable. The above mentioned change could fairly easily fix this issue, or at least turn it into a very minor inconvenience, or if nothing else, the buffs uptime should be incresed to 20 seconds or possibly more.

Force management is not perfect as it stands right now, and with the above suggested change (due to its nature of leading to more Disturbance casts) it could become worse. My suggestion would be for PoM to also reduce the force cost of the affected ability by 30-50-100% making the rotation more sustainable for a class, that is not supposed to be limited by resources, at least not in its single target rotation.

AoE damage currently is quiete weak for Balance spec, and while making Force in Balance hit five targets up from three helped significantly, I feel further adjustment is needed. At the moment Forcequake is way too expensive for a Balance sage to be easily used in AoE phases, and in prolonged AoE situations it can make the player depleted of Force quickly. I would suggest a change to the PoM system to affect Forcequake too. Possibly it could quicken it's channel time and/or up it's damage by 30% as PoM does with Disturbance and MC already and/or simply make it profit from the suggested reduced Force cost, making the ability more spammable and less costly while adding depth and flavor to the spec.

Overall I believe the above changes could make it worth for any group shooting to clear any PVE content in the game to consider a Sage (played correctly) to be equal to any Gunslinger or Commando (btw fix pyro mercs) while affecting the current PVP balance minimally.

Edited by colemanron