Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tired of Qyzen Fess, next companion?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Tired of Qyzen Fess, next companion?

Rochlin
12.25.2011 , 11:46 PM | #21
As a healer, I find Tharen useless. I can out DPS him as well as out heal him. He dies way to quickly to tank much of anything. I feel I might be stuck with Qyzen for most of my time. Luckily we get along ok.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tugglife View Post
Still waiting on someone to say whether Theran is attained through the main story quest or a side quest on Nar Shadaa.
He is acquired through the class quest on Nar Shadaa.
Pink Twi'lek of healing goodness.

DClarkNV
12.26.2011 , 12:34 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Tugglife View Post
Still waiting on someone to say whether Theran is attained through the main story quest or a side quest on Nar Shadaa.
As posted above, you get him as part of the storyline quest. All companions you get come from finishing a storyline quest on specific planets. Usually, you get them as a "guest" and have to complete that storyline quest with them. Then you are directed to head back to your ship where you will interact with them and they become a part of your crew.

As a Jedi DPS sage, I have used Qyzen up to level 44 now. If he is geared correctly, he can tank anything, as long as you bubble him and throw a heal at him, when needed. During beta, I leveled 2 healing Sages up to 47, and used him always. I could even solo champions with him as a healer, something I find I cannot do with the DPS spec, at least at even con levels.

Now that I picked up Nadia, I will see how she fares. She appears to be a Shadow tank. Just need to upgrade her gear and let her loose.

Corran
12.26.2011 , 02:18 AM | #23
you know what's pathetic? Not only does inquisitor get khem val who uses vibroswords meaning - you can get him modded weapons

but he uses strength heavy armor. that means you can be synthweaving and gear yourself and your companion. he charges in instead of walks slowly and hops 2 feet like fess. this is night and day even though it should be the same.

why is fess so hosed? why did they give such advantages to the sith side? it's bad enough most of their abilities land instantly whereas sage all have travel times but this is disgustingly annoying.

remember how the old consular char page wasn't finished? and remember how consular got their progression video only like 2 weeks before Early access? something tells me consular wasn't finished.
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

Vaelestra
12.26.2011 , 02:25 AM | #24
Why all the hate on the Qyzen? I love his character and he's good at tanking. I am 100% healing specc and that compliments perfectly with him. The other companions will just be slice slaves

DvP_
12.26.2011 , 05:25 AM | #25
Qyzen 10-50. Everyone else feels lackluster tbh. He fills the secondary role to a sage very well.

Elikal
12.27.2011 , 01:02 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by fryya View Post
when you do all the quests and instances on the way you will be more like lvl 26 when you unlock him. he also does little dmg and his healing also feels week, so it was back to qyzen at least for me

am I the only one who feels that we got shafted when if comes to compaions?

God YES. Oyzen is such a boring companion. I mean, he is ok, for a lizard. But there is no real emotional connection, as compared to the interesting chars other classes get.
"There is no civility, only politics."
-Senator Palpatine

SiskoEP
12.27.2011 , 03:07 PM | #27
Qyzan is a great companion. I'm level 32 and I only use him. You really have to give him good armor and weapons and he can tank while you stand back and do your thing. I don't think I would've gotten so far in the game so quickly without him.

RyceTOR
12.27.2011 , 03:41 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Elikal View Post
God YES. Oyzen is such a boring companion. I mean, he is ok, for a lizard. But there is no real emotional connection, as compared to the interesting chars other classes get.
That's been my take too.

From a story perspective I'd much rather be running with Theran (or anyone else for that matter), but he's useless to me as a I'm healing spec'd sage. Qyzen rocks from a performance stand point ... but he doesn't even speak basic. I just can't connect with him. :P

Even if I could get past the language issue .. his character is so one dimensional. hunt for score. hunt for score. yes yes. hunt for score. ok got it. we're hunting for score. blah blah blah. I'm not a hunter - don't care.

From a story / personal character perspective I'd trade up in a heart beat to another companion option but the only other companion I have would leave me unable to solo as effectively ... so there's no real choice provided at all.

Frustrating.
The Force will be with you, always.

Khadroth
12.27.2011 , 03:54 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Ralnity View Post
For Sages, I found Theran to be completely useless. I could see him being good for a shadow.

You are pretty much stuck with Qyzen until you get Zenith which won't be till mid to late thirties. Even then, most Sages still stick with Qyzen because using Zenith requires changing a playstyle you've been doing for 35 levels. It's easy to die with Zenith out if you make a mistake during the fight since you are both squishy high damage characters. That being said, Zenith kills stuff SOOO much faster than Qyzen, so your xp/hour will go up dramatically if you master him.

Hint: Turn off his AE abilities, they suck.

After that you'll get another companion that is just a ranged version of Qyzen and then finally, at like 42-45ish, you'll get a fun companion in Nadia. I'm still not sure if she is more effective than Zenith though.
A couple notes.

Tharan absolutely does not suck. I use him when leveling in high traffic open world pvp areas, as he almost insures a 1 on 1 win. People tend to overlook his near invaluable interrupt on mobs as well. When you're near full health, Tharan tends to spam Holiday on opponents that greatly disrupts them from taking ANY action. He's also insanely easy to gear as cunning gear is widely available.

Zenith has been extremely buffed since beta thank god. His AOE stance is now not useless. He's actually amazingly efficient for killing trash mob packs in combination with force quake if you can keep him geared. That said I still switch back to the tank for any pack harder than a single silver mob.

The biggest tip I can give anyone for leveling is, below 80% health, never heal your companion out of combat unless you need to regen too. Reason being it is always rediculously faster to dismiss them and resummon at full health, which also removes all debuffs btw. Later on, mounting and dismounting does this as well, even faster.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin

Llenyd
12.27.2011 , 04:06 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by OCoChoco View Post
Are any companions acquired through side quests?
There is a hidden, bonus companion you can get, but the rest are obtained through your main class storyline.