Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tired of Qyzen Fess, next companion?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Tired of Qyzen Fess, next companion?

Tugglife
12.22.2011 , 09:25 PM | #1
I'm level 19 and can't stand Qyzen. When and where do I get my next companion? What role does he/she fill? Thanks.

MiraBindo
12.22.2011 , 10:21 PM | #2
Next one is Theran, a ranged blaster-wielding healer-type. you get him on nar shaddaa around level 20

fryya
12.23.2011 , 03:56 AM | #3
when you do all the quests and instances on the way you will be more like lvl 26 when you unlock him. he also does little dmg and his healing also feels week, so it was back to qyzen at least for me

am I the only one who feels that we got shafted when if comes to compaions?

Tristanian
12.23.2011 , 04:11 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by fryya View Post
when you do all the quests and instances on the way you will be more like lvl 26 when you unlock him. he also does little dmg and his healing also feels week, so it was back to qyzen at least for me

Not necessarily. Fess is a beast IF you take the time to gear him up and by far the best companion for a Sage (I even have some epics on him that I couldn't use and he can basically solo strong mobs now). Similarly Theran can be invaluable for Shadows and basically for Sages too, when questing in a hub that you have to share with imps. The rest serve their purpose, mostly when you want to do heroic quests and don't have a full group, so you can sub with whatever is needed at the time.
"If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal, then you become something else entirely..."

Ralnity
12.23.2011 , 04:49 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by fryya View Post

For Sages, I found Theran to be completely useless. I could see him being good for a shadow.

You are pretty much stuck with Qyzen until you get Zenith which won't be till mid to late thirties. Even then, most Sages still stick with Qyzen because using Zenith requires changing a playstyle you've been doing for 35 levels. It's easy to die with Zenith out if you make a mistake during the fight since you are both squishy high damage characters. That being said, Zenith kills stuff SOOO much faster than Qyzen, so your xp/hour will go up dramatically if you master him.

Hint: Turn off his AE abilities, they suck.

After that you'll get another companion that is just a ranged version of Qyzen and then finally, at like 42-45ish, you'll get a fun companion in Nadia. I'm still not sure if she is more effective than Zenith though.

harry_manback
12.23.2011 , 08:22 AM | #6
As a balance sage, Theran has served me well for 6 levels. As long as you use your shield you can basically never stop killing. Theran + self healing seems to work really well together to keep me above 80%. It's pretty amazing. I'm level 31 atm.
"Concentration, focus, long-term thinking--those are the qualities that separate a warrior from a mere flailing fighter."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

ninja_x
12.23.2011 , 11:48 AM | #7
Gear up your ship droid and send him in on some mobs!! Sarcastic protocol droids are known for their battle prowess.

http://memegenerator.net/cache/insta...2/12516216.jpg

Y U NO LUV SHIP BOT?!!
I'm getting a raging clue!

GamewizX
12.23.2011 , 12:25 PM | #8
As a Tele Sage, for me, Qyen works perfectly for completing all solo content, including all +2 heroics. Theran feels very weak and I can't sustain long fights with Zenith.

Once I get Iresso I start using him but only because I want a change of pace from Qyzen. I have not gotten to Nadia yet because my highest Sage in beta was 43. But if she is a tank at all she will be my next choice, but she sounds almost like a Shadow DPS spec, similar to Kira for the Knight.
The Shadowlands -Ξ▒▓██ The Gamewiz Legacy ██▓▒Ξ- The Shadowlands
www.oldrepublicdads.com | Proud member of -=ORD=- | www.oldrepublicdads.com
Aaliyah - 50 Sage (TK) | Corthin - 50 Sentinel (CB) | Hartman - 35 Commando (GN)

stickyricky
12.23.2011 , 02:22 PM | #9
Tharen is better by far. Extra CC, more dps. Just start off fights with shield up and he won't spend the whole fight healing you. Tharen is your succubus, Qyz your voidwalker. I honestly don't know what people are doing wrong in order to have to use Qyz. Seriously.

Eliezer
12.23.2011 , 02:33 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MiraBindo View Post
Next one is Theran, a ranged blaster-wielding healer-type. you get him on nar shaddaa around level 20
That is assuming you go to Nar Shaddaa before going to Taris, or else it will a few levels beyond that.