Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

All the healers that DPS in FP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
All the healers that DPS in FP

aceavenger
02.08.2014 , 08:09 AM | #1
Stop!!!

Icebergy
02.08.2014 , 08:21 AM | #2
No.

On my healer, the only time I stop DPSing is if the tank takes a big spike of damage that requires something more than HoTs.

On my tank, I want the healer to DPS as much as possible as long as no one dies. If you are just standing around because everyone is at full health, you are wasting my time.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

dakyo
02.08.2014 , 08:26 AM | #3
A healer doing dps is a sign of the FP being too easy or he is doing his job with heals well enough to know when he can DPS or the tank is geared enough not to be taking dangerous damage ... so the ultimate answer is

NO
The Forthewin Legacy

rantboi
02.08.2014 , 08:30 AM | #4
no. i hate standing around doing nothing between heals.

aceavenger
02.08.2014 , 08:30 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
No.

On my healer, the only time I stop DPSing is if the tank takes a big spike of damage that requires something more than HoTs.

On my tank, I want the healer to DPS as much as possible as long as no one dies. If you are just standing around because everyone is at full health, you are wasting my time.
This is a no, because the healer is too busy yelling "BUT MY DEEPS" to know when the damage spike has happen, then death happen. I would rather have the healer watching health bars and doing his job than DPSing and having an OH *&^% moment later.

aceavenger
02.08.2014 , 08:33 AM | #6
I guess the point I'm getting at is baddie healers letting groups die because no one gets heals while they were doing DPS. complete 72 gear blowing 3 cooldowns on a mob and still dying while the healing does little to no DPS.

Icebergy
02.08.2014 , 08:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by aceavenger View Post
This is a no, because the healer is too busy yelling "BUT MY DEEPS" to know when the damage spike has happen, then death happen. I would rather have the healer watching health bars and doing his job than DPSing and having an OH *&^% moment later.
Sounds like you have been running with DPS that are pretending to be healers then. A good healer will keep you alive while still throwing out a little bit of damage.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

MaximilianPower
02.08.2014 , 08:55 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Sounds like you have been running with DPS that are pretending to be healers then. A good healer will keep you alive while still throwing out a little bit of damage.

Yeah, this. If the healer is competent and knows the fight, they'll toss out DPS when appropriate, while keeping everyone's health up at the same time.

I ran the foundry as a 44 merc healer last night; all four of us were absurdly overleveled (thanks group finder!). I was DPSing almost as often as I healed, because it was easier and faster to roll through the content that way. And nobody's health ever dipped below 80% or so.

Next I ran colicoid, and there, my DPSing was much less frequent. In harder fights, the healer should focus on priority #1 first (i.e. healing) and only toss in some DPS when the opportunity arises, as long as it is isn't detrimental to the overall group.

tl;dr - nothing wrong with a healer throwing out DPS as long as he knows what he's doing.
Hey, Barsen'thor Bill
What did you kill
Barsen'thor Bill

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Bøbløblaw EddieBrøck SylvesterMcbean Zuck-srw'i
TøbiasFünke MaebyFünke MaximilianPower MaxPower-srw
Jedi Covenant / Shadowlands / Harbinger / The Ebon Hawk / Bastion / Begeren Colony /The Red Eclipse / Progenitor

Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

mikebevo
02.08.2014 , 09:06 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by aceavenger View Post
Stop!!!
No!

Operative, Sawbones and Seer here, and I will dps in a Flashpoint or Operation. Kick me if you don't like it, but it will be the stupidest move you ever made because I promise you unless you fall off something or completely ignore mechanics, there is no way in hell anyone is going to die a flashpoint or a SM Ops (don't worry I will not be in semi-current HM or NIM Ops expect with people I know). Even if you ignore mechanics, it is going to be extreme for someone to die.

Plus if I don't do a little dps, who is going weak and strong mobs, all dps is doing is going for the gold.

Slicka
02.08.2014 , 09:09 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
Yeah, this. If the healer is competent and knows the fight, they'll toss out DPS when appropriate, while keeping everyone's health up at the same time.

I ran the foundry as a 44 merc healer last night; all four of us were absurdly overleveled (thanks group finder!). I was DPSing almost as often as I healed, because it was easier and faster to roll through the content that way. And nobody's health ever dipped below 80% or so.

Next I ran colicoid, and there, my DPSing was much less frequent. In harder fights, the healer should focus on priority #1 first (i.e. healing) and only toss in some DPS when the opportunity arises, as long as it is isn't detrimental to the overall group.

tl;dr - nothing wrong with a healer throwing out DPS as long as he knows what he's doing.
This basically sums up a competent healer. I play a 55 merc healer, and I dps whenever healing isn't required. A competent healer pays attention to health bars, their resource bar, as well as mechanics of a fight to determine the right times to dps and right times to heal.

+1 to the quoted post
Server: Prophecy of the Five
16 Characters, when will it end? All advanced classes, ftw!

Youtube Playthrough Videos / Guides