Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

KDY Construction Kit's abysmal drop rate

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
KDY Construction Kit's abysmal drop rate

Transairion
02.07.2014 , 11:14 PM | #1
So anyone who's played KDY a lot since it came out should've noticed the KDY Construction Kit issue... or rather the fact it's so RNG based it's just plain obnoxious.

I've ran the FP several dozen times, and seen the KDY Kit drop maybe 5 times total. Of those 5 times, 4 of them were from Rare Elite spawns.... and only one of them was from the final boss. And given how often a Rare Elite spawns at all (~10% or the time or less), yet it's still higher than the final boss's drop rate... it's just getting silly.

I really don't understand the decision to give KDY easy Reputation, but then gate new Reputation rewards behind extreme RNG: both to have a Rare Elite actually spawn, then to actually win the roll OR have the final boss actually drop one to begin with. At this rate doing all the achievements is faster than actually getting the KDY kits needed...

Of course someone will bring up the "just buy it on the GTN" excuse, but I think it rather unlikely that was intentional and will likely be made BoP/BoL with the next maintenance next week. At the moment the horrible drop rate on KDY kits just seems to be a ploy to make people actually play the FP, even if they've 100%ed the achievements and got Legend Reputation simply because of how many KDY kits are actually needed and how rare a drop they are...

Infernixx
02.07.2014 , 11:35 PM | #2
Considering the two things you want the kits for are behind Champ/Legend rep, you've got plenty of time to grind the kits.

And they're able to be traded and sold via the GTN and the price is already dropping to 100k per kit.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

illgot
02.07.2014 , 11:53 PM | #3
drop rate is horrible but if they drop rate was any higher they would be worthless.

Mowermanx
02.08.2014 , 12:06 AM | #4
I want it all and I want it now!

eartharioch
02.08.2014 , 12:09 AM | #5
Maybe you missed all the posts "praising" the BoP rep currency with the Gree and Rakghoul events. I've ran *maybe* 10 times over 5+ chars, and I have 3. I'm not sure that counts as 'low'. But if we're talking about server-wide RNG, neither my runs nor the several dozen you have in the 3-4 days since it's release is likely to paint a realistic picture of the drop rate.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

Transairion
02.08.2014 , 01:24 AM | #6
Quote:
Considering the two things you want the kits for are behind Champ/Legend rep, you've got plenty of time to grind the kits.

And they're able to be traded and sold via the GTN and the price is already dropping to 100k per kit.
Except you can't grind the kits because they're not a 100% or even 50% drop, they're low. Real low. You can grind the FP over and over and still end up with the same number of kits simply because the Load Lifter is all that spawns.

If the final boss had a 100% (or even 50%) chance to drop a KDY kit then it'd be a feasible grind, since at least you get to roll on it each time, or some of the time. Not once every 10 or more FP's.

I don't think Reputation items should have anything to do with GTN pricing either but that's just me...

Quote:
drop rate is horrible but if they drop rate was any higher they would be worthless.
Again why on earth should a Reputation item have anything to do with the GTN market? None of the other Reputations have this, DNA Canisters drop guaranteed from at least two Daily Quests but they're not worthless, now are they?

Quote:
Maybe you missed all the posts "praising" the BoL rep currency with the Gree and Rakghoul events. I've ran *maybe* 10 times over 5+ chars, and I have 3. I'm not sure that counts as 'low'. But if we're talking about server-wide RNG, neither my 20 runs nor the several dozen you have in the 3-4 days since it's release is likely to paint a realistic picture of the drop rate.
Well the BoL currency you speak of was BoP, hence could not be traded even across Legacy so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here (BoL =/= GTN tradeable).

And I've run it enough to know that the final boss almost never drops the KDY kit (it dropped it my first time so I thought it was 100%), and the rare spawns appear more often than the boss drops it.... and the vast, vast majority of the time, they don't spawn.

The only reason the Kits are even on the GTN now is because there's only 3 Reputation items that need them and if you're not interested in those they're worthless to you (why they're Needing on them as a result is another question, unless they're soloing).

eartharioch
02.08.2014 , 01:59 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Transairion View Post
Well the BoL currency you speak of was BoP, hence could not be traded even across Legacy so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here (BoL =/= GTN tradeable).

And I've run it enough to know that the final boss almost never drops the KDY kit (it dropped it my first time so I thought it was 100%), and the rare spawns appear more often than the boss drops it.... and the vast, vast majority of the time, they don't spawn.

The only reason the Kits are even on the GTN now is because there's only 3 Reputation items that need them and if you're not interested in those they're worthless to you (why they're Needing on them as a result is another question, unless they're soloing).
1) I meant BoP, it was a typo (I fixed it in my original reply, thanks for catching it) -- people complained asking to get it made BoL, if not tradeable, and BW said that (due to technical limitations), it had to be BoP or fully tradeable.

2) You obviously haven't run it enough, or you wouldn't still be running it. There are plenty of threads about how RNG and probability work (mainly in the crafting session), but they can all be basically summed up as: The plural of anecdote is not data. All you can tell us is that you have ran it a few times and didn't get as many Kits as you wanted. I've told you that I've ran it much less and seen it drop more (I definitely didn't win every drop).

3) I can't imagine any scenario in which I would criticize anybody for ever rolling need on the Kits.

As far as GTN Kit pricing goes, I think there's a saying about a customer being born every minute.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

ZETA_SCORPII
02.08.2014 , 02:07 AM | #8
Every time I solo it I get a drop.

Transairion
02.08.2014 , 02:10 AM | #9
Quote:
1) I meant BoP, it was a typo (I fixed it in my original reply, thanks for catching it) -- people complained asking to get it made BoL, if not tradeable, and BW said that (due to technical limitations), it had to be BoP or fully tradeable.
May I point out Bounty Week currency IS BoL and the Gree/Rakghoul are literally the only event currencies that are not BoL and are BoP instead.

Quote:
2) You obviously haven't run it enough, or you wouldn't still be running it. There are plenty of threads about how RNG and probability work (mainly in the crafting session), but they can all be basically summed up as: The plural of anecdote is not data. All you can tell us is that you have ran it a few times and didn't get as many Kits as you wanted. I've told you that I've ran it much less and seen it drop more (I definitely didn't win every drop).
I've run it enough to be able to see basic patterns (like if it was 100%, it would've dropped all the time. If it was 50%, I would've seen it around half the time). I've hardly seen it at all, and multiple people also running it have commented they never see it either (to the point people wouldn't believe me that the final boss even has a chance to drop it, since in many runs they'd never seen a KDY kit at all).

If it was a decent drop rate it'd be obviously so, you can only run it so many times and miss out before "You're just unlucky" doesn't apply anymore. The drop rate is awfully low.

Quote:
3) I can't imagine any scenario in which I would criticize anybody for ever rolling need on the Kits.

As far as GTN Kit pricing goes, I think there's a saying about a customer being born every minute.

Well rolling Need on a Kit just to sell it on the GTN instead of using it yourself... don't really think that should be encouraged, should it?

Quote:
Every time I solo it I get a drop.
From where? The final boss, Rare Elites? Both?

ZETA_SCORPII
02.08.2014 , 02:15 AM | #10
Elites.