Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The gap between GSF Rep and Imps

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
The gap between GSF Rep and Imps

Macetheace
02.07.2014 , 09:27 PM | #1
okay, firstly, i'm awful at GSF, not got my head round the 3-D, using my fighter to even kill something before you start talkinab gout gearing the ship up. saying that I kinda know I need to work at it, like practice, but the ground game is also quite fun and time consuming, .. i'l get there.

Not sure why people are complaining about faction imbalnace on GSF - this is not world of warcraft. factions don't have different racials programmed in to intentionally boost the horde over the alliance so people will play them more, bioware were much smarter, gave humans to both factions knowing full well people will play them most, and gave no racial advanatages to any faction ..furthermore, all classses and ships are the same.

So why is the republic winnign more matches in GSF, similar to how the Empire wins more matches in Warzones? Well the pro MMO players have been playing MMOs most of their teenage and now young adult life, probably not touched any other type of game, they're pretty good at it, they largely fixated on WoW, played horde, moved to SwTOR and largely play EMPIRE transferring their allegiance there.

Thing is, most new swtor players, are more STAR WARS fans than MMO fans, they've been playing crap loadsa other games, they typically struggle on the ground game nowt having knocked it down from 5+ years of constant playing..this being their first, and therefore find it much easier to get into the swing of GSF.

no advantage of years playing mmo's in the GSF, this is a proper shoot em up, everyone is on even terms. New SWTOR star wars fans players tend to favour republic over imperial. MMO fans tend to favour Imperial over Republic ( i think wow played a large role there). GSF is the only pvp competitive platform prior mmo experience counts for NAUGHT (since space combat is single player pvE ONLY) .. and so they are finding your average republic joe who can get crushed in the ground game, still learning the ropes in warzone, is far less roll over i GSF where he has just the same amoun t of experience.

and it annoys them so bad. LEarn to play I say.
If it feels wrong, it usually is.

Businesses must act with integrity in all things.

SavingPrincess
02.07.2014 , 09:54 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Macetheace View Post
-snip-
I think that's just your server.
"...everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine--we're all fine here... now. Thank you.... How are you?"

Suzina
02.07.2014 , 10:44 PM | #3
I think there's some good assumptions in here. Who knows if Bioware or anyone has statistics on what age demographics favor what, but I don't think they would necessarily know what to do with those statistics or how to interpret them.

All we have to go off of for our guesses. I definitely observed back in the days of 1.1 and 1.2 that the Empire won most PVP match-ups. I definitely observed that PVP servers tend to be Empire-heavy. And I have definitely observed that the Empire loses most of it's GSF matches as of Preferred Access on my server.

It's true it's all temporary. As more players get leveled up, like warzones it'll even out over time. If you recall, Bioware very carefully worded their statistics response regarding imbalance in warzones back then:

Quote: Originally Posted by http://www.webpronews.com/the-old-republic-empire-2012-01
The Empire faction currently leads with 53 percent of all Alderaan Civil War and Voidstar matches being won by them. Huttball, which allows for teams on the same faction to battle each other has, unsurprisingly, been played the most accounting for 39 percent of all Warzone matches.
Why did they not mention Huttball? That was the one we on the Empire KNEW best. It was the only same-faction match up warzone, so we played it day and night in the Empire. The Huttball win percentage fueled the perception the Empire wins most matches, because they did. Bioware didn't mention that percentage, so we don't know how bad it was.

I did 12 GSF matches in a row in which my entire team had less than 3 kills combined. So... yeah
Member of Bane Fleet

ptwonline
02.07.2014 , 10:46 PM | #4
I think it has very little to do with individuals, and far more to do with populations. More Republic GSF players, more premades, became more upgraded, became more experienced, dominated, and thus fewer quit early from frustration. So now it's always well-equipped vets vs teams of mostly noob cannon-fodder.

Many of the best Imp players I saw early on my server I haven't seen much of in weeks. They have been driven off. Some Republic players haven't been seen either, but they have dozens that stepped into the fold to replace them. The Imps haven't had those replacements because people give up.

I played 5 matches Republic side today: 4 vs other Reps, 1 vs Imps. Imps have given up.

elthenar
02.08.2014 , 02:37 AM | #5
I suspect it has more to do with the republic ships being considered by many to look better, and Jaesa Williams not being openly available to the imp players until recently.

Macetheace
02.08.2014 , 03:19 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by elthenar View Post
I suspect it has more to do with the republic ships being considered by many to look better, and Jaesa Williams not being openly available to the imp players until recently.
really? come on, everyone knows the Imperial fighters are definitely the cooler of the two... and that's not just me, rep ones aren't too bad, but Jaessa? better looking ships?

p.s. I bet you're being facetious
If it feels wrong, it usually is.

Businesses must act with integrity in all things.

Elly_Dawn
02.08.2014 , 03:42 AM | #7
lol, he prolly is... the only gawdawefull ugly ships on Imperial side are the Strike Fighters, which of course is why i won't fly one, they're too hideously ugly for my taste... but, our scouts are sexy as hell, Gunships, pretty cool looking, Bombers, look like they're flying razors... so all but the strikes are good looking ships...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

HoloGrinder
02.08.2014 , 09:51 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Macetheace View Post
okay, firstly, i'm awful at GSF, not got my head round the 3-D, using my fighter to even kill something before you start talkinab gout gearing the ship up. saying that I kinda know I need to work at it, like practice, but the ground game is also quite fun and time consuming, .. i'l get there.

Not sure why people are complaining about faction imbalnace on GSF - this is not world of warcraft. factions don't have different racials programmed in to intentionally boost the horde over the alliance so people will play them more, bioware were much smarter, gave humans to both factions knowing full well people will play them most, and gave no racial advanatages to any faction ..furthermore, all classses and ships are the same.

So why is the republic winnign more matches in GSF, similar to how the Empire wins more matches in Warzones? Well the pro MMO players have been playing MMOs most of their teenage and now young adult life, probably not touched any other type of game, they're pretty good at it, they largely fixated on WoW, played horde, moved to SwTOR and largely play EMPIRE transferring their allegiance there.

Thing is, most new swtor players, are more STAR WARS fans than MMO fans, they've been playing crap loadsa other games, they typically struggle on the ground game nowt having knocked it down from 5+ years of constant playing..this being their first, and therefore find it much easier to get into the swing of GSF.

no advantage of years playing mmo's in the GSF, this is a proper shoot em up, everyone is on even terms. New SWTOR star wars fans players tend to favour republic over imperial. MMO fans tend to favour Imperial over Republic ( i think wow played a large role there). GSF is the only pvp competitive platform prior mmo experience counts for NAUGHT (since space combat is single player pvE ONLY) .. and so they are finding your average republic joe who can get crushed in the ground game, still learning the ropes in warzone, is far less roll over i GSF where he has just the same amoun t of experience.

and it annoys them so bad. LEarn to play I say.
I am wanting separate queues for new players and grouped players so that the L2P answer can become valid. As it is now new players have no chance to L2P as they are being farmed ravenously by a superior force. There is no fun in that either and there for either side and no motivation to L2P so they quit or go fly on the dominant side and get good where it easy to win and inevitably make the problem worse.