Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

do the dev's read this stuff? or actually play this game? GSF=crap now

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
do the dev's read this stuff? or actually play this game? GSF=crap now

Ramalina
02.07.2014 , 11:24 PM | #11
The devs, or at least moderators that talk to the devs do indeed read this stuff. Given that they made a career of game design, there's a pretty good chance that they play it too.

If you make well considered and articulate posts about what you think problems are, and what you think solutions are, there's a decent chance that the devs will hear about it.

If and Only If, they agree with your assessment based on them probably knowing more about game design in general and definitely knowing more about this particular game AND your proposed change fits with their overall larger development plan for the evolution of the game, you may see the change you proposed or something very like it implemented in a future patch.

They definitely listened when it came to the nature of burst damage being disproportionately good, distortion field as an offensive cooldown, the relative value of evasion vs. shields, and the uselessness of ion missiles.
They also at least partially listened on ion railgun aoe spamming.

What they need to know is:
What's causing the effect, and why it isn't/can't be dealt with via existing counters.
How the effect is causing unbalanced or unpleasant gameplay.
If the problem is balance, some sort of theorycraft example illustrating what you think the nature of the problem is might help (getting your math right counts a lot in that case).

Oh, and in addition to being articulate, being reasonably polite probably helps too.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

NathanielStarr
02.08.2014 , 02:19 AM | #12
I don't know why Bioware is against Star Wars style dogfights and have to include these weird ships that slow things down.

Gunships are bad enough with easy sniper (80% is average accuracy for a decent gunship) and now bombers that are boring to play, but easy to get kills with. I'd honestly rather chase people around satellites than sit in a slug bomber hiding counting how many die to my rail gun.

I still like GSF but I like it less after this update.

CaliJoe
02.08.2014 , 02:28 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
Because it's rarely just a drone or two that you're fighting. You're trying to fight off multiple enemies AND multiple drones and possibly the guns around the sats, and the damage comes very quickly. So you have to try to take out the drones/guns fast, but I typically find that by the time I've gotten 2 of them, I'm dead because someone else was free to line you up and your shields/hull are weakened from the drones.

The ability to defend areas is too strong now. Even if you show up in a Gunship the defenders are free to leave and nail you because they do not have to worry about leaving the Sat to get capped since it takes so much time and effort to clear it for a cap now.
I just did a match where I kamakazi the 'pub sat that had 3 turrets, 1 interdiction drone, 2 sentry drones, a missile drone, AND a Flashfire hanging out. I full boosted, EMP burst w/ my Imp scout, wiped 2 turrets in the process before I blew up. It's really, REALLY bad now. Thanks for not paying attention BW. You screwed this up with a hasty launch.
Wild speculation on forums? When does that happen? The Harbinger - Fumanshu Legacy
Repub: Jafaean(Arms), Zelgen(Artifice), Espellah(Cyber), Jabender(Synthweave)
Imp: Vindrock(Armor), Antshell(BioChem), Li'Larish, Kenevil

Mikla
02.08.2014 , 04:59 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by CaliJoe View Post
I just did a match where I kamakazi the 'pub sat that had 3 turrets, 1 interdiction drone, 2 sentry drones, a missile drone, AND a Flashfire hanging out. I full boosted, EMP burst w/ my Imp scout, wiped 2 turrets in the process before I blew up. It's really, REALLY bad now. Thanks for not paying attention BW. You screwed this up with a hasty launch.
Prior to the update you most likely would have been dead before you could have killed 2 turrets if there was a skiiled flashfire there so I don't get what you are complaining about.

You did something dumb and you died. What did you expect to happen ?

Ramalina
02.08.2014 , 11:56 AM | #15
He probably expected the 2 bombers worth of AI weapons to miss as often as the pilots would miss if flying any other ship.

It's now tricky for a scout to burn down the turrets on a bomber infested sat. Prior to 2.6 it wasn't all that hard to clean out turrets even at 3:1 or 4:1 odds of defending ships (as long as they weren't gunships with upgraded ions). Liberal use of boost and rocket pods would get you in, kill a turret, and get you back out before people could land more than one shot on you.

Un-aimed proximity weapons though, don't have trouble with fast moving erratic targets.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

McAllist
02.08.2014 , 12:11 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
The devs, or at least moderators that talk to the devs do indeed read this stuff. Given that they made a career of game design, there's a pretty good chance that they play it too.

If you make well considered and articulate posts about what you think problems are, and what you think solutions are, there's a decent chance that the devs will hear about it.

If and Only If, they agree with your assessment based on them probably knowing more about game design in general and definitely knowing more about this particular game AND your proposed change fits with their overall larger development plan for the evolution of the game, you may see the change you proposed or something very like it implemented in a future patch.

They definitely listened when it came to the nature of burst damage being disproportionately good, distortion field as an offensive cooldown, the relative value of evasion vs. shields, and the uselessness of ion missiles.
They also at least partially listened on ion railgun aoe spamming.

What they need to know is:
What's causing the effect, and why it isn't/can't be dealt with via existing counters.
How the effect is causing unbalanced or unpleasant gameplay.
If the problem is balance, some sort of theorycraft example illustrating what you think the nature of the problem is might help (getting your math right counts a lot in that case).

Oh, and in addition to being articulate, being reasonably polite probably helps too.
I totaly disagree with you. Patch 2.6a will be a nerfbat. Not because of well considered Posts. Just because of cancled subscribtions. Only a nice mail or call from a pissed EA Beancounter let the Devs jump to Lightspeed and react to their mistakes.

Bleeters
02.08.2014 , 12:17 PM | #17
I'm not sure why it's apparently a surprise to some people that trying to attack a satelite guarded by turrets, drones and other people by yourself doesn't work out.

silvershadows
02.08.2014 , 12:33 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
Because it's rarely just a drone or two that you're fighting. You're trying to fight off multiple enemies AND multiple drones and possibly the guns around the sats, and the damage comes very quickly. So you have to try to take out the drones/guns fast, but I typically find that by the time I've gotten 2 of them, I'm dead because someone else was free to line you up and your shields/hull are weakened from the drones.

The ability to defend areas is too strong now. Even if you show up in a Gunship the defenders are free to leave and nail you because they do not have to worry about leaving the Sat to get capped since it takes so much time and effort to clear it for a cap now.
Pike with a couple EMP missiles will take care of that in no time.
Avatia
Deception Assassin
<Tave Naefas Lazea>
A Sith endures.

silvershadows
02.08.2014 , 12:37 PM | #19
People seem to think the job of a scout is to attack a satellite. Guess what, that isn't your job - at least it isnt the job for a Flashfire.

Flashfires are interceptors. Their job is to rush forward and take out slower-moving targets on their way to objectives - not AT the objective.

Interceptors. Interception.

That is what they are for - not attacking satellites. That's what Strike Fighters are for.
Avatia
Deception Assassin
<Tave Naefas Lazea>
A Sith endures.

DamascusAdontise
02.08.2014 , 12:45 PM | #20
I would tend to agree that there needs to be some balancing in regards to bombers, despite this I like how 2.6 changed the meta of GSF. Previously the battle space was open, you could gather near a node and try to defend it, but this involved intercepting enemy ships as they come in, sometimes they would get through snip the turrets kill the defenders and call it a day (Had a lot of experience on the giving end of this one) . Bombers are the entrenched defense, slow as balls covered in elephant hide and armed to the teeth.

I play mainly as a scout with burst lasers, I found out pretty quickly that attacking an objective or player with a full compliment of drones / mines is a very quick death. In fact without long range weapons the scout is not really capable of de-rooting a dug in bomber (not without very serious risk, if you survive you will be a smoking ruin)

But IMO this is fine, bombers are the rock to scouts scissors, even moreso than gunships (since good scouts dont stand still with a GS in range, they make em work for the shots) - A team working together and given enough time to setup can effectively take over an area and force the enemy team to make a coordinated push in order to remove them.

I don't call this overpowered, I call this tactics. And this game desperately needed some more of that. IMO it has gained something toward that goal, people need time to adjust to the new meta as it is literally a different game now with the bomber support role.

I see a lot of heavy handed deathmatch losses, but honestly I think this was expected. The skill gap really shows badly in deathmatch, good pilots shine and new / bad pilots tend to be the whipping boy(s). Not sure what can be done about this other than people learning from their mistakes / reading about builds strategy etc. But Domination on the other hand has become much more dynamic. I am seeing far less of the 3 cap wins and more 2 cap / defense games where both teams had a reasonable chance to win.

Bombers issues notwithstanding, I think they are a great addition. The devs now just need to do a little fine tuning, IMO engagement range for mines and drones could definitely be looked at, not mention the drones themselves could take a look or two before they are perfect. All in all still love the game, and loving the tactical aspect keeping me on my toes.