Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Getting Dark Side points for Light Side answers.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Getting Dark Side points for Light Side answers.

Zeddicius
12.22.2011 , 08:59 PM | #1
So several times now I have run across getting dark side points for what I considered Light Side responses. Current example on Courscant I am asked to find this guys mate that has been kidnapped. I find Ria and she wants me to lie to her mate telling him she got shipped off world. So i can choose to lie to her mate who came off pretty desperate and would probably try to find her off world, or send her back. I choose to send her back so she can tell him the truth and end it but I get dark side points for not deceiving and perpetrating a lie that will harm someone? I know this sounds petty but I wanted to keep dark side way down.

Sintensity
12.22.2011 , 10:08 PM | #2
Ria's mate was a controlling, jealous *****. The right thing to do was to lie to the bastard and tell her she was gone. You wouldnt want her to get beaten for talking to other men do you? Not good ;o

TalkingDinosaur
12.22.2011 , 11:40 PM | #3
Her mate was a possible domestic violence case. The right thing to do was to lie. :P
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

NephilimNexus
12.23.2011 , 12:25 AM | #4
But isn't that the real core of the sinister nature of the Dark Side? That it tricks you into thinking that you're actually doing the right thing?

Captain_Mark
12.23.2011 , 06:21 AM | #5
If you're not sure, ignore the actual option and check the smybol in the middle of the dialogue wheel, it clearly shows if something is a light or dark side conversation choice.

CaptainMax
12.23.2011 , 01:59 PM | #6
I think the idea of the designers is to make you think about your Light and dark choices rather than just go "goody goody" or "evil bastard".

While George Lucas was always a bit hedge-y on the subject, there is some in the core canon from which one could infer that the light side, while nurturing, was not "good" and the dark side, while dangerous, was not "bad" but rather the Force Users themselves who placed moral judgments.

More than once we see rigid Jedi dogma fail and the dark side provide fuel for the well-intended.

Now, this is just MY opinion:
The balance that was brought to the Force was manifested in Luke (as opposed to brought by him directly) when he fueled himself with his emotions, but did not let them consume him, stepping back when he needed to. To me, this is not balancing good and evil or even light and dark. There is only the Force, and to use the "dark side" is really just using it poorly (either by outright evil or just very bad judgement).

It is with that in mind, that I can see how the story of the mates pans out as it does: Taking away the female's free will over a point of dogmatic morality ("thou shalt not lie", as it were) is the darker choice. Keeping a secret to protect her free will (and possibly her safety) is the lighter option.

The game's approach to romance is similar, if you look at it that way. Yes, emotional attachments opens you up to the dark side... But you don't have to let it consume you.
You can still be a light in the galaxy, if you choose to be. You just won't get the in-game light "score" as fast.

Similar for the sith that want to go as dark as can be. Occasionally, what is most efficient for the Empire is mercy: quick deaths or allowing an assassin to live and work for you or killing a nasty cave monster.

I sometimes will define a character I play in SWtOR as "light" or "dark" from the outset, but also define a "soft spot". A trait that may occasionally point to the other side. Like a sith warrior who might give someone a second chance to prove themselves or a jedi knight who fosters love behind his Masters' backs.
Each can still be a force for their ideals, but now they are a little more complex and interesting.

But again, just my opinion.

Cartumandua
12.23.2011 , 03:51 PM | #7
Yeah, I wanted the answer, "Tell him yourself! If you're gonna dump your guy, at least own up to it!"

Gozinya
12.23.2011 , 03:54 PM | #8
But isnt lying wrong as well? Even those "white lies" are still deception... a trait of the dark side.
Sith Wyrm Server
Cognus - Sith Sorcerer - Madness
Millennial - Sith Marauder - Annihilation
Gozinya - BH/Merc - Bodyguard

CaptainMax
12.23.2011 , 05:28 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Gozinya View Post
But isnt lying wrong as well? Even those "white lies" are still deception... a trait of the dark side.
Says who?

Or...
Lies like "These aren't the droids you're looking for..."?

Even so...
My whole theory is that 10 Commandment style morality are jedi/sith concepts. Now, those moralities do a fine job of binding a force user to their aspect of the force, but may not bind the force itself.

I lie that nurtures freedom trumps a truth that harms freedom.

Again, in theory...

Boneflower
12.23.2011 , 05:46 PM | #10
I think a lot of people are missing the subtlety that Bioware has woven into its stories. We are so trained by dumbed down, clearly good or clearly evil options in games, movies and TV now that we skip right over the finer points and jump to false conclusions.

Just because the man was desperate seeming, and may even love her, doesn't mean he isn't also a controlling and abusive person who is hurting her. Lying and sneaking off may be a poor way to handle a break-up, but may be the only viable way to handle breaking away from a domestic violence situation like this one. Your character may dislike lying, but does that trump rescuing a woman in an abusive relationship from further harm? This is what you are being asked to decide.
Sy'lisska :: Rattataki Inquisitor - Sith Healer :: Lord Adraas
Ju'jii :: Twi'lek Consular - Jedi Healer :: Lord Adraas

In another life ... Sy'kirra :: Kettemoor :: SWG