Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback on the New Flashpoint: Kuat Drive Yards (The Pros and Cons)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback on the New Flashpoint: Kuat Drive Yards (The Pros and Cons)

Sithwallker
02.05.2014 , 07:01 AM | #11
Here's my take on the new FP. Overall I enjoyed it for what it is. A story to link the ground game and GSF. But as a decently geared 55 (with 7 other 55 alts) I can't see myself running it as often as I used to run the previous FP's. I'll run it till I hit the rep ceiling and till I get all the achievement's, but outside of that it serves no real purpose. So below I'll list some changes that I hope will make it into a future update.

1. Fixing the bugginess. Every single time I played it everything froze for about 1-3 seconds. The animations stopped, the sound stopped, everything stopped. And then BAM, everything that was lagging behind all caught up at once. At first I thought I was getting kicked, but I looked at how many bars I had and that was fine. Then I thought it was my connection to the internet, but again that was fine. Then I asked my group members if they had experienced the same thing and funny enough we all did at the same time. It's almost as if the server was lagging and needed a minute to catch it's breath. This would happen 1-4 times throughout the FP.

2. Credits. Why doesn't the 55 tier drop more money? I understand we are just fighting trash mobs, but I think they should drop the amount of credits that you get from 55hms. So please raise the amount.

3. Planetary comms? I mean they aren't totally useless for me as once I earn 100 I go to the fleet and buy cases of stuff from the Corellia vendor and then sell it back for a quick 50k(?) or so.....but would really love to see basic comms drop at the least.

4. And finally we come to my last thing I would like to see changed. Now I realize that this is the least likely thing to happen, but I'll list it anyways. Would of loved to of seen more than one boss. Maybe throw in a secret boss? You have to do x,y, and z in a certain scenario and if done correctly then he spawns.

Like I said, overall I did like the FP, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. I understand what you were trying to do and for that I applaud the team. I guess I'm just used to the previous FP's having 3 or 4 or 5 bosses. That's what I want to see more of. Anyways keep up the great work and I'm very much looking forward to 2014 here in swtor. (BTW loving the new addition to GSF)
Jedi Covenant Server

Republic - Pak'Tii / Storem / Vimdin / Aimylla
Imperial - Skiilar / Aillya / Jagaro / Kreyya

Lesaberisa
02.05.2014 , 07:04 AM | #12
Felt more appropriate doing it on my <55 toons than it did at max level. It's extremely easy, although there's only so much you can do with a role-neutral instance if you aren't going to have the kolto stations littered throughout the entire place. On my leveling characters, it was good for a lot of xp and the planetary commendations, which is nice. On my 55...it's fine for gearing alts, but gearing alts isn't really all that difficult on their own.

As for the FP itself...I found it pretty boring. The story was limited, and the actual game play was more akin to an extended planetary quest/bonus, running around to kill x mobs or click y objects, than anything 'tactical'. The actual bosses were mildly interesting, but the other mobs generally just fell over (I guess the Jedi/Sith at the control console up top do something different but that's basically "push you off" and not much else). Again, not sure how much you can do. I don't know, I just never felt particularly engaged by running around mindlessly killing things.

It's fine for what it is, I guess, but it's so limited that that isn't saying a whole lot.

EDIT: The lag - everyone in the groups I was in was experiencing it too. I'm not sure if it's just a product of everyone trying it out, but it was horribly (Especially healing the place on a gunnery commando! :P)
Finest mediocre fanfic this side of the Outer Rim:Trooper / Inquisitor

well
02.05.2014 , 07:08 AM | #13
It is good for leveling. I'm not much on FPS so it did seem long to me. I think it is a good thing for folks who don't have a lot of time to play. I know some folks want to run more than just a FP. They want to have time for doing class and other quest. The boss was tedious but I think it's a given no matter which game you play. It was interesting.

scarlet_magpie
02.05.2014 , 07:37 AM | #14
I enjoyed the "war" aspect of it, reminding us who are enemies are as previous posters have touched upon. To me it felt like a heroic as opposed to a FP, but the random objective thing is a great idea, and I think that once all combinations of objectives have been done that a secret new area should be unlocked with a new boss ( a jedi rapid response team rush to defend the yards or an elite sith trooper squad perhaps).

I am just pleased that they are TRYING.. we're getting new content, but it isn't simply re-hash of what we already have, like it or hate it, they are trying to come up with changes in gameplay that can only be a positive thing.

spanthegnome
02.05.2014 , 07:44 AM | #15
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-...munity+Feed%29

"Kuat Drive Yards is a new type of instance that we’re calling a Tactical Flashpoint. The main thing that distinguishes Tactical Flashpoints is that they are role-neutral – in other words, they are balanced for a combination of any four classes. This means Group Finder will match the first four players it finds, which translates into drastically shorter queue times, especially for DPS classes. If you’re level 55, you’ve probably seen this in action with the story mode versions of Czerka Corporate Labs and Czerka Core Meltdown, which are now also classified as Tactical Flashpoints."

Role neutral? The one thing they failed to accomplish was exactly that. You really do need a healer and players are seeing it. I was a healer in one yesterday and healed a lot to keep people up. Anytime I tried to dps people got upset and started being childish about not getting healed. If you are going to keep this new Tactical FP you need to figure out a better way to make the roles truly neutral.
Spann | Mercenary Spandy | Operative Spannder | Marauder

Slicka
02.05.2014 , 07:56 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by spanthegnome View Post

"Kuat Drive Yards is a new type of instance that we’re calling a Tactical Flashpoint. The main thing that distinguishes Tactical Flashpoints is that they are role-neutral – in other words, they are balanced for a combination of any four classes. This means Group Finder will match the first four players it finds, which translates into drastically shorter queue times, especially for DPS classes. If you’re level 55, you’ve probably seen this in action with the story mode versions of Czerka Corporate Labs and Czerka Core Meltdown, which are now also classified as Tactical Flashpoints."

Role neutral? The one thing they failed to accomplish was exactly that. You really do need a healer and players are seeing it. I was a healer in one yesterday and healed a lot to keep people up. Anytime I tried to dps people got upset and started being childish about not getting healed. If you are going to keep this new Tactical FP you need to figure out a better way to make the roles truly neutral.
Seriously? I ran around on my 55 Merc BH healer and other than popping the odd heal off because no one stopped to use their out of combat heal (since I was there), it was leave Kolto Shell on everyone. It worked really well. I was majorly disappointed when taking on Major Benes. After realizing that there is a way to remove the bombs after we won and explored the room, I healed through it and one heal easily topped everyone up. Sorry you felt this way, but I just didn't see it.

In fact, you can see one of my runs in the flashpoint on my youtube channel within the next hour as it's being uploaded as I type this.

Just to reiterate, I found that this flashpoint only allowed the DPS to be more reckless during trash mobs and the boss because a healer allowed them to ignore healing up out of combat and allowed them to rush through without worrying about mechanics.
Server: Prophecy of the Five
16 Characters, when will it end? All advanced classes, ftw!

Youtube Playthrough Videos / Guides

Cernow
02.05.2014 , 08:05 AM | #17
POSITIVES
* Role Neutral
I really like the role neutral Flashpoints. It' still goes smoothest doing them with a traditional tank, healer, dps setup, but it provides some flexibility and allows people to participate with hybrid and levelling builds. I also like the bolstering for sub 55s. This does throw up a few issues to do with available skills, but overall the bolstering seems to work.

* Visuals and layout
It looks good and moving around between the objectives seemed pretty logical (there needs to be some kind of visual indicator regarding waiting for everyone to click on the elevator though).

* Boss fights
Not done them all yet, but the ones I've encountered seemed challenging enough.

NEGATIVES
* Lag.
Lots of it. Big huge spikes suspending combat for a few seconds regularly. All four players in my group were reporting this, not just me. Seems from this thread others are getting this too, so it needs fixing.

* Too much trash
The Flashpoint feels overly long. The trash to boss ratio is too high. The trash fights started to get really tedious for just one boss (the mini bosses don't count, they are just long trash fights). The CZ-198 role neutral FPs have a much much better balance of trash to bosses.

* Crew Skills don't scale
Crew skills don't scale for sub 55s properly. For example, all scavenging in the FP needs 450 even for sub 55 groups.

* Rewards
The rewards just aren't good enough for the time invested. It's perhaps ok when levelling as the xps are quite good (if you do it as a daily) and you get a decent amount of Planetary Comms. But at 55 I can't see much point in it for Planetary Comms. The reputation items are pretty weak too (apart from the mount).

MisterBlackJack
02.05.2014 , 08:06 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Przemo_No View Post
I tend to agree with OP. I like the overall idea.

Just wanted to emphasize on the ENORMOUS lag that many players experienced.

Last night while I played my tank I had literally tens of seconds of abilities "not firing". That was expecially painful on the boss who pushes you around like jumping rabbit and even if i used the counter abilites they did not work. I only saw decreasing boss HP, (hopefully others did not have that horrible lag), so my input was far less than I expected. As for tank, you know, it might be substantial for a group

Secondly, it is not clear what you need to do AFTER you killed the boss. You exit the instance and actaully can start again. So i did, and it seemed my quest was bit different, so I approached the quest giver again - got purple rep token an dthe whole story started again.

Also, it seems that 55es can enter the FP without the group. Intentionally?

Just my 2 cents
Yeah it was intended that way. My guess is because if 55s want to solo or 2 man they can. anybody 53 and below are going to have more trouble 2 maninging it if not impossible because companions don't bolster like players
THE FORCE FIGHTS WITH ME.....IN THE C.E. V.I.P LOUNGE

MisterBlackJack
02.05.2014 , 08:08 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by jayperringo View Post
I thought this "FP" was terrible.
I ran it with a level 55 group and it was nothing more than a glorified daily, The trash and the boss were unbelievably easy.
I enjoy the CZ FPs and they work fine, as they have a HM too but this just felt too easy. It was way too simple and I don't really care for role neutral FPs as we all spec to roles we like for a reason!

Generally, the rewards are useless unless you want that cool looking speeder!

Not even elite comms??

Will a HM be made?

I ran it once and will struggle to bother running it again
as I pointed out this Flashpoint wasn't made for geared 55s. It was made for leveling characters particularly the dps

MisterBlackJack
02.05.2014 , 08:11 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by spanthegnome View Post

You really don't need a healer for this flashpoint. I ran with 4 dps and had little trouble clearling it. The only time heals maybe necessary is the final boss but even then Kolto tanks are all over the place.

If you can't clear it without a healer that just means your group kinda sucked and didn't know what they were doing.