Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback on the New Flashpoint: Kuat Drive Yards (The Pros and Cons)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback on the New Flashpoint: Kuat Drive Yards (The Pros and Cons)

MisterBlackJack
02.04.2014 , 02:52 PM | #1
Greetings everyone. I played the new flashpoint on the PTS when it first popped up and started running it a few times with a guildie. I will have to say overall I enjoy this flashpoint, FOR WHAT IT IS. What I mean when I state it like that is, the pros of the flashpoint are very solid and good while the cons of it are very glaring. I will go over my assessment of the pros and cons and give feedback on what Bioware should do for future “Tactical Flashpoints”

Cons: Lets just get the bad stuff out the way.

1. Only 1 boss:
a. The instance feels very long especially that there is only one boss in the entire instance and that is at the end. The “Elite Defenders” bonus bosses are no more than tougher trash mobs. Having only one true instance boss in the entire flashpoint makes this feel more like a Heroic than a actual Flashpoint. The heroic 4 quests of the macrobinoculars and the seeker droids felt more like flashpoints than Kuat Drive Yards.

2. No Real Use for well geared 55s
a. Unless you want to kill some time, or a reputation and achievement lover, there really isn’t use of Kuat Drive Yards once you hit 55. There’s no gear drops of any kind, there’s no Hard Mode version and its pretty much no challenge for level 55s. Even though I plan to run it with some of my 55s, I can’t see anything with Kuat that I can persuade others 55s who are in 69+ gear to run this.

Pros: Now that I got the cons out of the way lets get to the good reasons of Kuat Drive Yards

1. Great for leveling dps
a. If you been like me who has been wanting to level a dps toon through flashpoints but don’t like standing in 4 hours worth of queue time just to hope that a tank and healer of your level wants to queue as well, this is the flashpoint for you. I have done this flashpoint on 3 lower level dps toons just today, and I didn’t spend more 1 minute in queue before a queue popped.
b. The experience you get from doing Kuat Drive Yards on lower toons is now one of the best ways to level in game. You have a larger pool to pull characters in, and the fact that your bolstered to lvl 55 makes the

2. Challenging Bosses >55
a. For players who have characters under level 55, the bosses are actually quite a bit of fun and quite challenging. The Mechanics of each boss, especially the ranged faction bosses provide a lot of movement and forces players to pay attention to the fight.

3. Different Objectives/Scenario
a. The biggest draw of the instance is the fact that the objective changes each time you enter. And some are quite enjoyable the hanger and the Ship Assembly Scenarios have to be my favorite so far.

4. Faction Bosses
a. Its glad to see Bioware is really making a push of focusing on the war between the Republic and the Empire. Having faction bosses, even if their mechanically the same gives it a bit of different feel when fighting. No longer does it feel like everyone is fighting the same boss over and over, instead you feel like your actually attacking the republic’s strong hold, or defending the drive yards from Imperial invading forces.

5. Role Players
a. Something not mentioned by many is that the new flashpoint is a great opportunity for those that enjoy role playing especially those who always wanted a quest where it was a master apprentice rp style quest, the now have one. The Instance can easily be 2 manned but not recommended since companions won’t bolster like your characters to 55.

Feedback for Future Content:

1. Have More challenging opponents: If Bioware is going to go the route of having role neutral flashpoints, they should make it more heavy on the mechanics and provide more bosses than mere champ trash mobs. Or at the very least provide a hard mode version of the flashpoint so those at level 55 can experience some challenge with endgame gear.

2. More Level-Neutral Flashpoints: I think this is a great idea and provides more opportunities for people who are leveling low level alts to experience something different with a larger group of people and brings the community as well as guilds together.

3. More Faction Based Instances: I think Bioware has discovered a diamond in the rough with these faction based instances. It makes it feel more like Star Wars and reminds everyone that there is a war going on. It would be great if Operation Bosses were Faction based bosses even if the mechanics of said bosses are the same. Keep the story of the war with the Republic and the Empire going forward, don’t have the 1 big bad boss we all must face like the Dread Masters.

4. More Randomized Objections and Bosses: Arguably the best aspect of the new flashpoint is the randomization of objectives and bosses. I think this can also carry into other areas. It could be a great tool for operations, where the Bosses are different and raid groups have no idea which boss they will get each with their own unique mechanics.

This is my assessment. The flashpoint is great for what it is, and people should understand what it is and what purpose does the flashpoint really serves. As long as people understand that, then I think this will be very popular and hope to see more of it as well as improved upon.
THE FORCE FIGHTS WITH ME.....IN THE C.E. V.I.P LOUNGE

HelinCarnate
02.04.2014 , 03:15 PM | #2
Last boss takes way too long to kill even with bolster. It is not a difficult fight once you figure out what you need to do. Adding a mountain of HP on the boss does not make him harder, only more tedious.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

MisterBlackJack
02.04.2014 , 03:48 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by HelinCarnate View Post
Last boss takes way too long to kill even with bolster. It is not a difficult fight once you figure out what you need to do. Adding a mountain of HP on the boss does not make him harder, only more tedious.
its not about the HP, it does require a bit of coordination nothing compared to operatiosn but there have been a few times today where I was 1 or 2 players left standing because 2 of the other players missed getting out of the bosses damage radius

MisterBlackJack
02.05.2014 , 03:34 AM | #4
What do you all think of the new flashpoint

Lotharofxev
02.05.2014 , 03:52 AM | #5
1) Buggy.

1a) Latency. There is something going on server-side that causes characters to hang up for 1-5 seconds.

1b) Freeing the prisoners is buggy. Just had a group that had to disband after freeing 7/10 prisoners. Got a message "security protocols still active". Nothing was up in either prison area.

2) Cheap. On a 55 depending on how much you get hit you actually lose money on this FP

3) What's the point of the cut scene with the group fixing the droid?

terzappi
02.05.2014 , 04:10 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MisterBlackJack View Post
What do you all think of the new flashpoint
useless.
Akhen - Sage Healer Neferneferuaten - Trooper Healer
Smenkhara - Scoundrel Healer Amenophis - Guardian false tank

From 14/12/2011 to 09/03/2014. Waiting for real contents.

Przemo_No
02.05.2014 , 04:12 AM | #7
I tend to agree with OP. I like the overall idea.

Just wanted to emphasize on the ENORMOUS lag that many players experienced.

Last night while I played my tank I had literally tens of seconds of abilities "not firing". That was expecially painful on the boss who pushes you around like jumping rabbit and even if i used the counter abilites they did not work. I only saw decreasing boss HP, (hopefully others did not have that horrible lag), so my input was far less than I expected. As for tank, you know, it might be substantial for a group

Secondly, it is not clear what you need to do AFTER you killed the boss. You exit the instance and actaully can start again. So i did, and it seemed my quest was bit different, so I approached the quest giver again - got purple rep token an dthe whole story started again.

Also, it seems that 55es can enter the FP without the group. Intentionally?

Just my 2 cents
Dark side is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be unnatural.

ZETA_SCORPII
02.05.2014 , 04:26 AM | #8
Agree with you on that it's nice for leveling but is pretty useless for geared 55's. Nice to have new content and the different scenarios are cool, but we really need a HM 55 version.

Aries_cz
02.05.2014 , 06:34 AM | #9
Not sure about the lag, I did not notice it, the only thing close to it was a really long load time (but that might have been cause by everybody running it yesterday).

As for the feedback
The Good
  • The environment looks good
  • Some of the modules (like the assembly of the starfighter) are pretty cool
  • Rewarding daily comms is nice for gearing low level alts, much better than basic comms that I cannot use for that

The Bad
  • I think that the Elite defenders and some bosses could be a bit harder (tactics wise)
  • i think that on level 55 version the mobs could be a bit stronger, as they die during half the cast time of Forcequake.

However, I think it fulfills the reason it was created in the first place, and that is quick clearing of GF queue.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

jayperringo
02.05.2014 , 06:36 AM | #10
I thought this "FP" was terrible.
I ran it with a level 55 group and it was nothing more than a glorified daily, The trash and the boss were unbelievably easy.
I enjoy the CZ FPs and they work fine, as they have a HM too but this just felt too easy. It was way too simple and I don't really care for role neutral FPs as we all spec to roles we like for a reason!

Generally, the rewards are useless unless you want that cool looking speeder!

Not even elite comms??

Will a HM be made?

I ran it once and will struggle to bother running it again