Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bomber Feedback

Bleeters
02.04.2014 , 04:33 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
I do think bombers will have an easier time in Domination, but it's my hope that their existence will push the fighting off the node. A fortified satellite will not be something you want to run in and hug, so you'll need to clear everything off it from a distance using EMPs and longer range weapons.
Whilst this is true, hugging a satelite is required to actual capture the thing. Bombers might not be as effective at weaving in and out of obstacles as a scout, but there's little to stop them circling and putting out mines whilst people are trying to capture it.

My general experience playing a bomber today involved just kind of hanging around satelites putting out railgun drones, repair drones and seeker mines. Occasionally pinging away at ships when they get close enough with lasers. Then the game ends and I'll have 14~ assists from targets I generally never saw. I won't say I don't feel useful as a bomber, but it's not exactly an exhilerating experience.

Mallorik
02.04.2014 , 04:37 PM | #12
Havent flown one, I flew one mission before I was going to buy one, saw how stupid they are and didn't buy one. Just a dumber brother of the gunship ( I didn't think that was possible)

wingzerokia
02.04.2014 , 05:12 PM | #13
Just had a match with my brand new, un-upgraded war-carrier in domination, and well, I felt as if it was almost too easy, granted it was against mostly the fresh meat of F2P players, I saw one sting and one Quell on the Imp side of things, the Pub's on my side had a Flash-fire and me....

I did a full burn to A, and just held A for the entire match, what I learned from that round, was the Bomber can be a beast, if you don't try to play the dog-fighter game. by the end of it, I had 4 kills, and then I just circled the sat for the rest of the match, as the imps just gave up on the game, once we had all three sats.

Nothing like a 1000-30 inside of 6 minuets....

reclipsed
02.04.2014 , 05:39 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
Havent flown one, I flew one mission before I was going to buy one, saw how stupid they are and didn't buy one. Just a dumber brother of the gunship ( I didn't think that was possible)
I will never understand the mindset of someone that draws conclusions on fun factor before testing them out, so closed minded.
I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
― Friedrich Nietzsche

RebekahWSD
02.04.2014 , 09:08 PM | #15
I played a mine layer a few times today. They're certainly effective tick repellant but I found the game play kind of underwhelming. It basically breaks down to circling a sat and pushing two buttons with not much active interaction with the enemy,

Being told you killed someone with a mine on the other side of the sat lacks the impact of seeing the kill with blasters or missiles.

My 2 cents

cqueensusana
02.04.2014 , 09:38 PM | #16
Bomber is way overpowered. I really enjoyed Star Fighter, was my favorite thing to do, but now I don't even like getting on.
1. They can deploy too many drones
2. Drones may have a weak defense but their firepower is over the top for a drone
I don't have a problem with the ship itself so much as I do the drones.
Overpowered, overpowered, overpowered.

wingzerokia
02.04.2014 , 10:05 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by cqueensusana View Post
Bomber is way overpowered. I really enjoyed Star Fighter, was my favorite thing to do, but now I don't even like getting on.
1. They can deploy too many drones
2. Drones may have a weak defense but their firepower is over the top for a drone
I don't have a problem with the ship itself so much as I do the drones.
Overpowered, overpowered, overpowered.
I found that in TDM (Team Death Match), my bomber rather underwhelming compared to domination mode. That is a mode really built for the Flash Fire / Sting / Gunships....

Verain
02.04.2014 , 10:14 PM | #18
Really liking my drone carrier. Calling out where I put a heal is super great, esp in death match.

Tenacity
02.04.2014 , 10:34 PM | #19
Tested out a drone carrier on my republic side character, and minelayer on imp side, also flew against both types with my standard strike fighters.

On minelayers:
These feel extremely gimped in deathmatch. I can see how they might be good in domination around satellites, but deathmatch just puts everything against them. The mines on their own will not kill a target, not unless you manage to hit someone with 2-3 of them at once. The target needs to be weakened first, either by your own blaster fire or by an ally, which requires more coordination than you're ever likely to see outside of premade groups.

To me, it seems that minelayers were designed to excel at extreme close range combat, due to the 1500-2000 meter range limit on mine tracking/detonation. Problem is, you're flying a shortbus that has no burst laser cannons and lacks the maneuverability to fire at enemies at those ranges. Your mines wont usually kill the target on their own, so without an ally backing you up you're going to get tromped by any strike or scout. Bombers also have no evasive manuvers like barrel roll to move across vast distances quickly, so they're easy bait for gunships.

On Drone Carriers
I can see these being -somewhat- useful if set up as slow, missile-oriented heavy strike fighters. I'm thinking heavy lasers, concussion missiles, a missile sentry, and a focus on heavy defensive boosts. However, one thing I notcied while trying this very setup tonight is that the turn rate (pitch/yaw) on bombers is too low to keep any moving target in your firing arc long enough to lock on with concussion missiles, not unless they're at max range or you get lucky. My strike fighter can pull off concussion locks almost every few seconds, but my bomber was lucky to get one lock a minute. The manuvering rate on these ships is just too low to be able to use any standard primary or secondary weapons.

Fighting against drone carriers... now that's the part I hate. The railgun drones seem too powerful in my opinion, they're as bad as gunships at picking you off while you're fighting. Drones and mines both need to be far more obvious to enemy players as well - they're too hard to spot, and have too small a targetting circle on them to spot in the frantic, fast-paced atmosphere of gsf combat.
What's most annoying is that the missile drones only do like 300 damage with their concussion missiles - not a real big deal. However, they give you the same missile lock on tone that player missiles do, which makes you waste an evasive manuver or panic trying to avoid a potential concussion missile up the tail pipe, and that leaves you wide open for an enemy to use a -real- missile on you while your evasive is on cooldown.

On 'support' bombers
These things will -never- work with the current balance of GSF. Scouts, strike fighters, bombers, and gunships alike can all kill an enemy player in a matter of seconds and a handful of shots. Healing 130 hull damage every 3-6 seconds, on ships that have 2000+ hull, is absolutely pathetic.
The burst damage to survivability ratio simply does not allow for 'healing-oriented' bombers to be effective at all.
--- Lynx - Powertech Mercenary - Rashkah
Telbasta - Sniper - Operative - Maihos
Leonin - Gunslinger - Scoundrel - Arshia ---
-- Pakhet - Sorceror - Juggernaut - Sorthak

Zharik
02.04.2014 , 10:38 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
Well on my server teams are just running bombers getting 2 satellites, spreading all kinds of drones and **** around it and then just sitting under it.

Instant win.
1. Not instant, takes effort on their part
2. Stop them from doing that? (whatever they are doing, YOU can also try...)
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)